Do you feel sympathy for alt righters who get doxxed?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:26:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you feel sympathy for alt righters who get doxxed?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you feel sympathy for alt righters who get doxxed?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: Do you feel sympathy for alt righters who get doxxed?  (Read 3480 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 09, 2017, 08:29:37 AM »

I read about one guy who got fired from his job and had his wife leave him in the same week once it was revealed he was the creator of some rather nasty Pepe memes and some contributions to The Right Stuff.

But no. Don't want that to happen, don't be a Nazi.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 08:55:02 AM »

Not particularly. Depends on how malignant their posts were. If they're just a boring, run-of-the-mill magatroll, then I kind of feel bad. If they post incredibly racist and insensitive things, then I really have no sympathy.
maga2020
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: 7.74

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 09:23:28 AM »

Yes, the alt-right is just an overreaction to the globalist pro-"diversity" left who has ruled and ruined the world, while finger pointing every dissent as racism.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 09:45:11 AM »

Alt-righters are more often doxxers than doxxees.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 10:23:13 AM »

The fact that this question even needs to be asked is very worrying.

Getting doxxed is terrible, it doesn't matter what their political leanings are and just because someone has different political beliefs, doesn't mean they are less human and less deserving of privacy and the fact that someone was so angry about memes on the internet that they destroyed a guy's career and family is tragic.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 11:18:19 AM »

Getting doxxed is terrible, it doesn't matter what their political leanings are and just because someone has different political beliefs, doesn't mean they are less human and less deserving of privacy and the fact that someone was so angry about memes on the internet that they destroyed a guy's career and family is tragic.

Wouldn't his wife have a right to know that her husband was a Nazi?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 02:26:08 PM »

Don't worry, it's okay because justice ought to be served by the masses, as any individual sees fit.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 02:38:58 PM »

Shhhhh. You're disturbing their 2 minutes hate.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 02:55:59 PM »

Er, doxxing is bad, I assumed we could all agree on that...
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 03:40:39 PM »

Of course she does but the issues for him are a lot bigger than that. Not only has he lost his wife, he now has no form of income and is completely unemployable, he won't be able to see his kids as often if he has them, his details are now out there in the open for anyone to see, potentially making him a target. The rest of his life will be a massive struggle, all because he posted some stupid memes on the internet.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 05:32:13 PM »

Of course she does but the issues for him are a lot bigger than that. Not only has he lost his wife, he now has no form of income and is completely unemployable, he won't be able to see his kids as often if he has them, his details are now out there in the open for anyone to see, potentially making him a target. The rest of his life will be a massive struggle, all because he posted some stupid memes on the internet.

Ok,  but he did it to himself, no?

I mean, practically every company in America will fire you for posting racist stuff on the internet. No one can be surprised when it happens.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 07:33:26 PM »

Generally I don't approve of doxxing and wouldn't want someone to do it to me. But if I got doxxed it wouldn't "ruin my life" because I'm not on the internet saying the Holocaust didn't happen and telling people to get back in the oven. Not to mention that the expectation of complete anonymity on the internet is just naive these days. So I don't really feel sorry for them. If you don't wan to get caught being a racist POS don't be a racist POS. I would and do stand by any of the opinions I post on this site in public.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 07:46:43 PM »

Generally I don't approve of doxxing and wouldn't want someone to do it to me. But if I got doxxed it wouldn't "ruin my life" because I'm not on the internet saying the Holocaust didn't happen and telling people to get back in the oven. Not to mention that the expectation of complete anonymity on the internet is just naive these days. So I don't really feel sorry for them. If you don't wan to get caught being a racist POS don't be a racist POS. I would and do stand by any of the opinions I post on this site in public.

Indeed. This summarizes my view on ever feeling sorry for an alt-righter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0GvsfOAZE
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 09:25:01 PM »

Doxxing is not good.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 12:17:36 AM »

"Sympathy?"  Not really.  But doxxing someone is something you just shouldn't do.

Yes, the alt-right is just an overreaction to the globalist pro-"diversity" left who has ruled and ruined the world, while finger pointing every dissent as racism.

I might make an exception for this character, though.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 07:02:40 AM »

Ok,  but he did it to himself, no?

I mean, practically every company in America will fire you for posting racist stuff on the internet. No one can be surprised when it happens.

Well I don't think businesses should be allowed to fire employees for their political opinions unless there is a good case that those views would stand in the way of them doing their job but even if I thought it was ok for employees to be fired for that, it doesn't mean I wouldn't feel sympathy for a guy whose life has been ruined.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 07:12:30 AM »

If you don't want to be called out for sh**t you say online, don't say that sh**t online.  Easy.  YOU ARE NOT ANONYMOUS ONLINE!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 07:52:50 AM »

I mean I wouldn't want an alt-righter working at a business of mine because I'd be worried about Jewish and minority employees. It's a completely valid concern.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 08:10:20 AM »

The trouble with this is that the internet rumour mill will often misquote or outright fabricate transgressions if it helps "the cause". This isn't really confined to the left - it happens on the right, and to weirdly apolitical causes as well. I think the trend of doxxing as a "legitimate tactic" really is chilling, because mobs - from gamergate to those Tumblr pages that catalog people in culturally appropriative Halloween costumes - are by their very nature unforgiving and unreasonable.

I do feel sympathy for alt-righters who get doxxed, even the real dicks. I also feel the same for most anybody an internet hivemind feels pissed off enough at to target. As a tactic, it's harmful to society and - the key failing of any political tactic - doesn't really accomplish anything except allow people to reach catharsis.

The real problem is that nobody feels like they are part of an internet mob, and it's even easier to get caught up in it than an IRL mob (after all, you will never get punched in the face via screen).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 08:13:31 AM »

The difference between being alt-right and wearing a "culturally appropriative" Halloween costume is the vast majority of people and anyone with an ounce of sanity doesn't give a sh!t about the latter. Doxxing people for that doesn't exactly hurt them, what employer is going to care? Hell they probably already know if that person wore it to the company Halloween party.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 09:03:30 AM »

I mean I wouldn't want an alt-righter working at a business of mine because I'd be worried about Jewish and minority employees. It's a completely valid concern.

Alt righters are not the only people who have a chance that they may commit violence. You could have a suspicion that anyone you work with could be violent. Believing in an extremist ideology does not mean you will commit violence in most cases. In fact, if you deny alt-righters the ability to get an income, then you make them more likely to be violent because you make it impossible for them to climb the economic ladder through legal means.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 09:26:23 AM »

I don't know what either of those terms actually mean.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 09:26:38 AM »

Doxxing is one of those things that, when you first hear about it several years ago, it was the worst of the worst; going nuclear. Then it was really, really, bad. Then it's just a controversial practice. Now it's practically becoming normal. In a few years, we may well look back on debates like this as rather quaint. I don't have the mental energy to expend feeling sympathy for alt righters who get doxxed, I hardly do anymore for non-alt righters who get doxxed. It's going to happen and there's nothing you can do about it, so just accept it. The faux outrage over it may continue for longer.
Suburban Republican
omelott
Israel

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 09:57:03 AM »

Getting doxxed sucks. It's embarrassing and an outright violation of privacy. I believe that all people, regardless of ideology, deserve to be respected (unless they've committed an act of violence).
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 10:01:38 AM »

I don't know what either of those terms actually mean.
Dox - To search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the Internet, typically with malicious intent.

Sympathy - Relating to another's misfortune and resulting emotions of pity and sorrow thereof; especially hard to understand for elitists.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies