Do you feel sympathy for alt righters who get doxxed?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:59:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you feel sympathy for alt righters who get doxxed?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you feel sympathy for alt righters who get doxxed?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: Do you feel sympathy for alt righters who get doxxed?  (Read 3472 times)
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 02:04:45 PM »
« edited: August 10, 2017, 02:08:19 PM by HisGrace »

I mean I wouldn't want an alt-righter working at a business of mine because I'd be worried about Jewish and minority employees. It's a completely valid concern.

Alt righters are not the only people who have a chance that they may commit violence. You could have a suspicion that anyone you work with could be violent. Believing in an extremist ideology does not mean you will commit violence in most cases. In fact, if you deny alt-righters the ability to get an income, then you make them more likely to be violent because you make it impossible for them to climb the economic ladder through legal means.

It's not just about violence, which is a pretty rare thing even with those types. You just can't have a positive business culture if you have employees who hate other employees or some of your clients. Not wanting to have racists/sexists/homophobes at your business is a perfectly valid concern and not just motivated by wanting to "punish" people for certain opinions.

Do you seriously think some hardcore stormfront-esq racist would provide equally good customer service to a black customer? Of course not, thus they're an inferior employee to someone who would.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2017, 02:47:45 AM »

Generally I don't approve of doxxing and wouldn't want someone to do it to me. But if I got doxxed it wouldn't "ruin my life" because I'm not on the internet saying the Holocaust didn't happen and telling people to get back in the oven. Not to mention that the expectation of complete anonymity on the internet is just naive these days. So I don't really feel sorry for them. If you don't wan to get caught being a racist POS don't be a racist POS. I would and do stand by any of the opinions I post on this site in public.

Indeed. This summarizes my view on ever feeling sorry for an alt-righter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0GvsfOAZE

a very graceful, Christian opinion youz guyz have on this.

I'm of the very old-fashioned reactionary position that people with stupid and bigoted ideas should still have an opportunity to make a living like they have for most of human history.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2017, 07:43:41 AM »

It's not just about violence, which is a pretty rare thing even with those types. You just can't have a positive business culture if you have employees who hate other employees or some of your clients. Not wanting to have racists/sexists/homophobes at your business is a perfectly valid concern and not just motivated by wanting to "punish" people for certain opinions.
Hatreds and rivalries will always arise in businesses regardless of ideology because by definition, employees are competing for pay rises and promotions. People should not be fired for ideology unless they actually put it into practice. If the alt righter starts refusing to work with and verbally abusing black employees, then there is, of course, good reason to fire. But, some stupid memes they posted on facebook is not good reason to fire. Many people act very different online than in person anyway.
Do you seriously think some hardcore stormfront-esq racist would provide equally good customer service to a black customer? Of course not, thus they're an inferior employee to someone who would.
Yes, they would because if they didn't, they'd get fired.

Once again, going back to the original point about sympathy, even if it was entirely ok to fire people because they are alt right, that doesn't mean you can't be sympathetic to someone who is going to suffer for the rest of his life because of his dumb opinions, that he may not even have anymore, people's opinions change.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2017, 10:15:09 AM »

Shouldn't happen, but no I don't feel sorry for them.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2017, 12:45:15 PM »

Is it possible for an act to be "bad", or at least damaging to he or she who commits it, regardless of whether he or she who receives the action deserves it?
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2017, 12:57:43 PM »

Mixed.

I do feel like we are not punishing Doxxing harshly enough in society.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2017, 04:25:42 PM »

I mean I wouldn't want an alt-righter working at a business of mine because I'd be worried about Jewish and minority employees. It's a completely valid concern.

Do you actually think that every person who could conceivably be part of the ''alt-right'' spends every waking moment of his life harassing and beating up every minority he makes eye contact with?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2017, 06:01:40 PM »

Do you actually think that every person who could conceivably be part of the ''alt-right'' spends every waking moment of his life harassing and beating up every minority he makes eye contact with?

Yes, because it's what he would do if he were an alt-righter.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2017, 11:07:17 AM »

Pretty relevant now!
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2017, 11:09:48 AM »

Yes.  The internet should be a safe space.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2017, 11:13:38 AM »

Only for the relatively harmless ones that never get out of their parents' basements, but they aren't the ones that get doxxed. So no. That being said, I strongly oppose efforts to forcibly out closeted gay Republicans and things like that.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2017, 12:09:10 PM »

Those guys marching in Charlottesville weren't on the internet at the time.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2017, 12:09:54 PM »

Those guys marching in Charlottesville weren't on the internet at the time.

Then they don't have that protection.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2017, 04:44:02 PM »

Sympathy isn't the right word, but doxxing people is wrong. The only exception I can see is to bring a criminal to justice, as in the case of Eric Clanton.
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2017, 08:50:13 PM »

No
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2017, 12:06:01 AM »

Absolutely none -I'm sure many of those fired for their views would support businesses like Hobby Lobby firing employees or refusing to serve customers if they found out they were gay as a matter of 'religious liberty'.  Or other forms of hypocrisy. 
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2017, 12:18:24 PM »

Alt-righters are more often doxxers than doxxees.

Are there massive online campaigns to out antifa or SJWs activists who associate with violent protest and/or radical totalitarian Marxism. Does this activism spill over to non extremist right leaning people such that you'd see it shared on your social media feed among say your uncle or cousin who is a Thin Blue Line, American flag waving god & guns type?

I don't see individual attacks of protesters (who are not violent) from the right to the same degree as the left.

Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2017, 01:43:20 PM »

"Antifa identified one of the Nazis, doxxed him, called his employer, and posted his address online.

It wasn't him."
https://twitter.com/HashtagGriswold/status/897222177925337093
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2017, 03:46:58 PM »

I can see the argument for those who truly did something wrong (such as become violent - with proof, of course). But simply for being there and protesting? That is terrible and should not happen.

Plus too often, those who these folks are trying to go after aren't even the correct people.
So you have innocent people potentially getting their addresses, phone numbers, license plate numbers, place of employment, etc. thrown out on the internet and receiving threats for something they didn't do.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2017, 03:53:08 PM »

Plus too often, those who these folks are trying to go after aren't even the correct people.
So you have innocent people potentially getting their addresses, phone numbers, license plate numbers, place of employment, etc. thrown out on the internet and receiving threats for something they didn't do.

Oh, poor poor white people.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2017, 04:48:39 PM »

You're gonna make me cry white tears.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2017, 05:14:43 PM »

You're gonna make me cry white tears.

vanguard96
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2017, 11:52:41 AM »

I can see the argument for those who truly did something wrong (such as become violent - with proof, of course). But simply for being there and protesting? That is terrible and should not happen.

Arkansas Engineering shirt guy was misidentified and angry social media users threatened a professor who was totally unaffiliated with any of the activities:

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/aug/15/university-arkansas-professor-misidentified-white-/

The actual guy in the photo apologized - but the people who threatened the professor are an example of how social media has revved up the incidents. And imagine if they had not been able to clear it sooner if the professor was fired or attacked?

https://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2017/08/16/arkansas-linked-charlottesville-marcher-identified-apologizes-to-those-misidentified/

Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2017, 09:08:44 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2017, 09:11:37 PM by Zyzz »

Arkansas Engineering shirt guy was misidentified and angry social media users threatened a professor who was totally unaffiliated with any of the activities:

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/aug/15/university-arkansas-professor-misidentified-white-/

The actual guy in the photo apologized - but the people who threatened the professor are an example of how social media has revved up the incidents. And imagine if they had not been able to clear it sooner if the professor was fired or attacked?

https://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2017/08/16/arkansas-linked-charlottesville-marcher-identified-apologizes-to-those-misidentified/

Remember the social media crowd sourcing frenzy after the 2013 Boston marathon bombing? In the period after the marathon was bombed and before the big GTA style car chase and shootout, Reddit and other types of social media went into a frenzy scanning photos to try to find suspects. I remember social media was 99% sure that this Indian male who had threatened to kill himself and had gone missing for 30 days prior was the culprit. Another suspect was a Moroccan teen, I presume because he was a Muslim and may have looked 'suspicious'. Despite the good intentions, it was a huge failure on the part of social media.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2017, 02:53:51 PM »

Remember the social media crowd sourcing frenzy after the 2013 Boston marathon bombing? In the period after the marathon was bombed and before the big GTA style car chase and shootout, Reddit and other types of social media went into a frenzy scanning photos to try to find suspects. I remember social media was 99% sure that this Indian male who had threatened to kill himself and had gone missing for 30 days prior was the culprit. Another suspect was a Moroccan teen, I presume because he was a Muslim and may have looked 'suspicious'. Despite the good intentions, it was a huge failure on the part of social media.

Yes, that one was not limited to right wing as a number of my more vigilant activist minded Democrat friends were sharing the posts about the search for the bombers.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies