The Winds of Change: The Presidency of Eugene Joseph McCarthy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:36:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Winds of Change: The Presidency of Eugene Joseph McCarthy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Poll
Question: How would you prefer I unveil McCarthy's cabinet?
A infobox

A list

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: The Winds of Change: The Presidency of Eugene Joseph McCarthy  (Read 13458 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2017, 02:57:59 PM »

Eugene McCarthy seems likely to pick Terry Sanford, George Smathers, Stuart Symington, or Ramsey Clark - Kennedy allies who will win over former Truman, Kefauver, Stevenson, Brown, and Kennedy supporters. Of those, I suppose I'd prefer Symington.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2017, 03:53:16 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2017, 09:16:52 PM by bruhgmger2 »

Eugene McCarthy seems likely to pick Terry Sanford, George Smathers, Stuart Symington, or Ramsey Clark - Kennedy allies who will win over former Truman, Kefauver, Stevenson, Brown, and Kennedy supporters. Of those, I suppose I'd prefer Symington.
I don't think McCarthy would pick Smathers considering he just ran against him in Florida, and McCarthy was known to hold grudges.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2017, 05:23:32 AM »
« Edited: August 23, 2017, 05:24:22 PM by bruhgmger2 »

2 Months Later, at the Democratic National Convention

August 28th, 1968

Please Give A Warm Welcome to the Democratic Nominee for President of the United States, Senator Eugene McCarthy!

Ladies and Gentlemen. Fellow Americans. Fellow Democrats. Delegates to the Convention.

When I launched my campaign for the Presidency on November 30th of last year, I didn't do it for lust for power. I did it for one reason and one reason only, and that reason was so the immoral, unjust, illegal and unpopular War in Vietnam be brought to end. I was under no illusions, I knew full well that pressuring President Johnson into taking the moral stance on the war was all I my campaign was capable of, and that claiming the title of Democratic Nomination for President was out of my reach. Yet today, I stand here with holding that very title. It was not through sheer luck that I gained this title, nor was it through some brilliance of my person. It was, along with other factors, through the hard work, determination and smarts of the many volunteers who gave their time to send a message that they had had enough, and the time to end the War in Vietnam was now. To these volunteers, I want to say that I am forever grateful for your service, and without you, I would be standing here as Minnesota Senator Eugene McCarthy, rather then Democratic Nominee for President of the United States Eugene McCarthy.

When it comes to the many issues of this election, the foremost is this: Who will bring our troops home and reach a peace in Vietnam?
Richard Nixon (or shall I say the "New Nixon"?) wants you to believe it is he who will do this, but you mustn't be fooled. Richard Nixon is a man who established himself on the national stage as a Cold War Warrior. Richard Nixon is a man who was always up for a fight, always up for using American muscle where it wasn't needed, yet this same Richard Nixon wants us to believe that he will go against everything he has stood for his entire career and bring our troops home? I think not. It is simply one of Tricky Dick's many Tricks, and I know the American people will not fall for it.

And when confronted with his record of Warmongering, Richard Nixon deflects, and says "You must vote for me because I am "Tough on Crime" and Senator McCarthy is not". No Mr. Nixon, I am tough on crime, I am tough on the causes of crime, what you are is tough on criminals, tough on people. What you are doing is taking Christopher from Suburban Detriot, putting him in an environment where he is exposed to hardened criminals and thereby turning this boy into such a hardened criminal himself. That, Mr. Nixon, is no way to reduce crime. What I am doing is taking Christopher from Suburban Detriot, making sure he stays away from hardened street criminals, turning him into a hard working and honest American, and making sure he and every American live a prosperous, happy and secure life.

On the unfortunate subject of Poverty in America I must say that there is much more then the acceptable level (which is to say, none). President Johnson, despite his failing on the foreign front, has done admirable work on this issue and I shall keep in place his policies against poverty, and indeed expand them. I will work with the United States Congress to make sure that every American, no matter their Age, Gender, Race, or Income, will have access to quality housing, healthcare and education. I will call this "The Struggle against Poverty".

If I could bring back the topic if my campaign, I want to say this: With all the respect I do have for the many volunteers who gave their time to my campaign, there was another factor in getting me this far. It was not simply my volunteers who got me here or who won me victories in every state primary where I was on the ballot. There was also a poplar current, a wind pushing me over the finishing line. And not just any wind, but the Winds of Change. Only this wind, along with your support, will carry me over the finishing line in November.

Despite the Problems with America, I still have tremendous faith in America's spirit, and great hope in it's future, and it is with this hope that I accept your nomination for President of the United States!

My Fellow Americans, Thank You, Thank You very much, and See You in November!
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2017, 05:58:57 AM »

Later that Evening, just Before Midnight

August 28th, 1968

Blair Clark: Very Nice Speech, that was very captivating

Eugene McCarthy: Thank you, it's very nice to hear that from a campaign manager.

Clark: You're very welcome. Now, you've got yourself the nomination, and we must now pick ourselves a Vice President. I suggest we start by writing up a short list and then choosing fro-

McCarthy: That won't be necessary. I've known who I was going to pick ever since Jackson gave that interview to the Chicago Tribune.

Clark: And who is that?

To Be Continued
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2017, 06:16:39 PM »

Eugene McCarthy announces Former North Carolina Governor Terry Sanford as Vice Presidential Pick

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of August 29th, 1968

Eugene McCarthy announced earlier today at the Democratic National Convention that his running mate for the General Election will be Former North Carolina Governor Terry Sanford.

Sanford accepting his party's nomination for Vice President

Because McCarthy did not signal his choices for Vice President prior to the Convention, most observers were completely in the dark as to who McCarthy will pick, and were unsure what McCarthy was looking for in a Vice President. With this pick, it seems that McCarthy was going for regional and religious balance (Sanford, a Southern Protestant balances well with McCarthy, a Northern Catholic, though the two agree on most political issues) as well as Party unity (Sanford was a very close ally of Former President John F. Kennedy and is a close friend of Vice President Hubert Humphrey). Whether this pick will help or hurt McCarthy's campaign will be determined in the coming weeks and months.
So there we have it. The General Election will be contested between the tickets of McCarthy/Sanford, Nixon/Agnew and Wallace/LeMay.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2017, 09:44:25 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2017, 06:45:09 AM by bruhgmger2 »

Does anyone still care about this? There haven't been too many comments and I have to assume that is because no one is interested. I do like writing this TL, but I don't want to write a TL that nobody reads.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2017, 11:24:11 AM »

I really like it! Please continue
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2017, 01:58:16 PM »

Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2017, 03:36:52 PM »

Does anyone still care about this? There haven't been too many comments and I have to assume that is because no one is interested. I do like writing this TL, but I don't want to write a TL that nobody reads.

I find that comments aren't a good gauge of interest. Plenty of well-established timelines have had dry spells in the comments.

I, for one, am hugely interested.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2017, 04:43:27 PM »

Despite Fears of Mass Riots, Democratic National Convention Largely a Success

Excerpt from the Los Angeles Times from the day of September 1st, 1968

When the Democratic National Convention began 4 days ago, there was fear among party leaders that the Convention would be a disaster, that the party would undergo a massive split and Senator McCarthy would alienate large segments of the general populace, and that there would be violent confrontations between McCarthy supporters and Chicago police. Contrary to these fears, there was no massive split in the Party, in fact the party is probably more unified coming out of the convention then it was going into it. And far from alienating large segments of the public, McCarthy's acceptance speech was very well received and has given his campaign legitimacy in the eyes of most Americans, and bumped him up in the polls several points. Now, there was violence on the streets, but no more then what typically happens when a large crowd gathers in a small space, and certainly not enough to damage McCarty's general election prospects.

McCarthy Supporters celebrating his nomination

McCarthy meeting supporters after formally being nominated for President
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2017, 07:35:16 PM »

It's great to hear that you like the TL, but you should leave a comment some time.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2017, 08:07:06 PM »

The Nation is Gripped by McCarthymania!

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of September 4th, 1968

When Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau attracted roaring crowds and packed stadiums after being sworn in earlier this year, his popularity was given the moniker of "Trudeaumania". If so, then let Eugene McCarthy's current popularity be called "McCarthymania". Everywhere the Senator goes, cheering crowds and packed stadiums follow, and the latest Gallup Poll has him up 45-38-15 over Richard Nixon and George Wallace. He even remarked to a particularity loud rally crowd in Madison Square Garden yesterday that "Keep up this noise and I will be America's first deaf President".

Of course, there is every possibility that this spat of popularity is nothing but a typical convention bounce, and that this article will look silly in 2 months time, but for the time being, Eugene McCarthy is one happy camper.

Crowds like this have greeted Eugene McCarthy wherever he goes
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2017, 04:06:54 AM »
« Edited: September 04, 2017, 06:58:54 PM by bruhgmger2 »

8 Days Later

September 12th, 1968

When President Lyndon Johnson launched the War On Poverty, 10's of Millions of Americans lived in Poverty. The amount of Americans living in Poverty was significantly reduced through Government Programs introduced through the War on Poverty, the most significant Programs being Medicare and Medicaid.

These efforts were admirable, and went a long way to lifting Americans out of poverty, but they did not eliminate poverty. Did You Know that Today, 13% of Americans still live in poverty?
I do, and I will dedicate my energy to getting that number down to 0%.
Should I be elected, I will work with the United States Congress to introduce new anti-poverty programs to significantly reduce the number of Americans in Poverty. We can eliminate poverty, it can be done, and it will be done under a McCarthy administration. So this November, vote McCarthy, because a vote for McCarthy is a vote to eliminate poverty.

Ad to be Aired in Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Missouri
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2017, 06:24:45 AM »
« Edited: August 30, 2017, 08:25:10 PM by bruhgmger2 »

McCarthy Promises Vietnam Peace Agreement by July 1969

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of September 14th, 1968

At a Milwaukee press conference yesterday, Senator Eugene McCarthy said that he would withdraw American troops from Vietnam as "One of my Very First Acts in Office". He also said that he would reach a peace agreement by July 1969, or, as McCarthy put "I will Reach a Peace Agreement in my first 6 Months in Office". Admittedly, McCarthy being a dove is not a shocking revelation, but it is interesting to see how Richard Nixon will respond.

McCarthy at the Milwaukee Press Conference
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2017, 07:44:27 AM »
« Edited: August 30, 2017, 12:48:07 AM by bruhgmger2 »

McCarthy and Nixon Agree to Debate

Excerpt from the Chicago Tribune from the day of September 20th, 1968

The Presidential campaigns of Richard Nixon and Eugene McCarthy have agreed to hold a Presidential Debate. The details thus far have been sparse, all we know right now is that the Debate will be held in St. Louis, Missouri on October 17th, and that George Wallace will not be attending. Still, this is a major development in the campaign, and in a race as tight as this one, the debate will go a long way to determining who the next President will be.

Nixon had a famously bad performance in the 1960 Presidential Debates, and some have argued the Debate cost him the election. Will Nixon again bomb at the debate, or will McCarthy end up regretting ever agreeing to these debates? We will have an answer come October 17th.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2017, 02:28:07 AM »

Great updates. Curious to see what happens in the debate.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2017, 03:25:48 AM »
« Edited: August 29, 2017, 03:27:27 AM by bruhgmger2 »

Great updates. Curious to see what happens in the debate.
Great to see you like them! Next Update should be up soon.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2017, 12:44:25 PM »

6 Days Later

September 26th, 1968

Columbus, Ohio

Why is America in it's current crises? Why are Americans being sent to die on distant battlefields? Why do we hear sirens in the night? Why do Americans live in fear of crime? All of these things are the Democratic Party's doing. While America was descending into it's current state, the Democratic Party held the Presidency. The Democratic Party held the House. The Democratic Party held the Senate. It is the Democratic Party that got us into our current mess, and caused all these problems. And what is Senator McCarthy's solution to these problems the Democrats created? Electing another Democrat! He thinks the solution is more of the problem! America needs new leadership! McCarthy is more of the same, he was LBJ's lapdog in the Senate, and he wants the American people to believe that he will bring change? I think not, Senator McCarthy. Look folks, the truth is this, electing McCarthy is almost identical to giving Lyndon Johnson another Presidential term, and believe you me, he's done enough damage in one term. Only I can provide America with the leadership it needs to restore law and order to it's cities streets, and to win in Vietnam, and that is why you must elect me to be the next President come November.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2017, 02:07:42 PM »

Interested to see what McCarthy's opening statement will be.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2017, 11:28:55 AM »

McCarthy's Lead Narrows Significantly

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of October 1st, 1968

As reported by the New York Times, one month ago Senator Eugene McCarthy had a comfortable lead over Richard Nixon, with Gallup having him up 8 points over Richard Nixon. However, over the course of September, McCarthy's once comfortable lead has turned into a dogfight of a Presidential race. Gallup's latest poll, released yesterday has McCarthy holding only a very narrow 43-40-15 lead over Richard Nixon, down from a 45-38-15 lead from a month ago. There are many reasons for this, but the main reason is that Richard Nixon run a quite good campaign in September, and has been on message (as can be seen in his speech in Columbus from a few days ago), whereas Senator McCarthy, despite not running a bad campaign by any means, has been a bit lackluster on the campaign trail. Still, McCarthy is still in the lead, and the debate will provide a good chance for him to retake his once dominant lead in the polls.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2017, 03:40:37 PM »

Hugely interesting. I will be staying tuned for future updates.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2017, 07:15:37 AM »

5 Days Later

October 6th, 1968

Los Angeles, California

Throughout his career, there was nothing Richard Nixon wouldn't say if it got him more votes. In the 1950's, when, dare I say it, "McCarthyism" was at it's peak, Richard Nixon was always there to defend Senator Joe. It was only after the Joe was exposed as the fraud he was, and when Richard Nixon deemed it better for his electoral prospects that he spoke out against Joe McCarthy. In 1954, when the nation was in a panic after the French withdrawal from Vietnam, Richard Nixon said "What is to be done? For one, the problem is not one of materials and wasn't four months ago. More men are needed and the question is where to get them. The United States as a leader of the free world cannot afford further retreat in Asia, the Administration must face up to the situation and dispatch forces." So you can see, Richard Nixon was not only a supporter of sending troops to Vietnam (until he determined he could get more votes by changing his view, that is) he gave birth to the idea. And now, this same Richard Nixon wants us to believe he will bring our troops home, after himself coming up with the idea to send him there? I think not. The only reason Richard Nixon says he will bring the troops home is because he has seen the political winds, but he doesn't believe it for a second. The truth of the matter is, Richard Nixon is a war hawk, who will not bring our troops home, all he is doing when he says he wishes to bring the troops home is living up to his title of "Tricky Dick".
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2017, 07:17:27 AM »

Hugely interesting. I will be staying tuned for future updates.
Thank you so much for the kind words.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2017, 12:18:11 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2017, 06:59:25 PM by bruhgmger2 »

2 Days Later

October 8th, 1968

Each day we hear more and more about how sending troops to Vietnam was a mistake

About how innocent men and women on both sides are dying for no good reason

Through all this carnage, loss, and destruction, you might be asking yourself:

"Who came up with this whole idea anyway?"

It's a good question that deserves an honest answer

In 1954, when the nation was in a panic after the French withdrew from Vietnam and still figuring out what path it would take in relation to Vietnam, a certain prominent politician with a national profile who was in President Eisenhower's inner circle came out in support of getting America involved in Vietnam. This politician is clearly one of the originators of American involvement in Vietnam. So who was this politician?

It was one Richard M. Nixon, former Vice President and the man who wants to be your next President. He is also the man who promises each day to the American people that will bring our troops home. This is not true. Richard Nixon is a warhawk, and he will not end the War in Vietnam.
The only man who will do that is Senator Eugene McCarthy. This November, if you believe using American muscle in Vietnam was a mistake, don't vote for the man who was calling to use that muscle in the first place. Vote for the man who opposed using that muscle from the start. Vote for Eugene McCarthy.

Ad to be aired in California, Illinois, Missouri, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Oregon
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2017, 01:09:30 PM »

Who are their running mates?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length