The Winds of Change: The Presidency of Eugene Joseph McCarthy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:16:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Winds of Change: The Presidency of Eugene Joseph McCarthy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Poll
Question: How would you prefer I unveil McCarthy's cabinet?
A infobox

A list

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: The Winds of Change: The Presidency of Eugene Joseph McCarthy  (Read 13464 times)
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2017, 01:16:10 PM »
« edited: September 04, 2017, 01:19:18 PM by bruhgmger2 »

McCarthy picked Former North Carolina Governor and top JFK ally Terry Sanford.
Nixon picked Maryland Governor Spiro Agnew.
Wallace picked former General Curtis Lemay.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2017, 06:56:53 PM »

4 Days Later

October 12, 1968

Hippies. Beatniks. These Pseudo-Intellectuals disturb ordinary Americans just trying to live their lives with their empty slogans and anti-American values. These privileged college kids who don't know a thing about the real world claim to know how to solve all of the worlds problems. Richard Nixon promises to listen to the silent majority of Americans over these spoiled peaceniks.

What has Senator McCarthy done?

He's refused to speak out against them, despite having multiple opportunities to do so

But then, why would he? They are his strongest supporters, after all

They are his soldiers and he is their general. He is their savior. Don't vote for the candidate of the hippies. Vote for their worst nightmare. Vote for Richard Nixon

Ad to be aired in California, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Wisconsin, and Illinois
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2017, 08:44:29 AM »

McCarthy Leads Nixon by 5 Points Heading Into Debate

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of October 16th, 1968

With less then 24 hours until the debate, the latest Gallup polling gives Senator McCarthy a 5 point lead over Richard Nixon and George Wallace, with McCarthy holding 44 percent of the vote, Nixon holding 39 percent and Wallace holding 15 percent. This means that heading into the debate, both candidates have big opportunities ahead of them. McCarthy's opportunity is that should he win this debate, and should he win it solidly he could potentially pull away from Richard Nixon. Richard Nixon's opportunity is that if he can win this debate by a solid margin he could turn this contest into a real dogfight, like 1960 all over again but with him as the winner. Which of the 2 candidates will grab their opportunity and which will throw it into the river can only be known after the debate concludes, and many millions of Americans will be keenly watching tomorrow evening, including us here at the Times.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2017, 04:36:56 AM »
« Edited: September 06, 2017, 06:25:38 AM by bruhgmger2 »

The Next Day, As the Debate Begins

October 17th, 1968

Good Evening. I am Howard K. Smith. Tonight I come to you from St. Louis, Missouri, and I bring to you a very special occasion: A Presidential Debate between the Democratic Nominee Senator Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota and Republican Nominee Former Vice President Richard Nixon of California. Governor George Wallace will not be attending. Both candidates will make an opening statement outlining their vision and plan for America. By the luck of the draw, Richard Nixon will speak first. Mr. Vice President?
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2017, 06:24:53 AM »
« Edited: September 07, 2017, 02:39:13 AM by bruhgmger2 »

Thank you Howard. When we look at the state of our country, we see Americans afraid to walk at night. We see Americans dying on distant battlefields. We see Americans of different races hating each other. It was not through sheer bad luck that this happened. It was 8 years of complete Democratic control of government that gave us these things. Electing another Democrat will not solve these problems anymore then hiring a criminal as the police chief will solve the crime problem. I will solve these problems. Senator McCarthy is blind to threat posed to this nation by Communism. He wishes to cut and run from Vietnam and simply let the Communists have their way. This is a terrible, terrible idea. We cannot allow the Communists to win in Vietnam. We have sent many soldiers to Vietnam, and people have died there, we cannot simply declare that all their hard work and all the sacrifices they made were in vain. I will not let the Communists win. We must bring our soldiers home, that much is true, but we must do it with peace and honor. I will turn the fight against the Viet Cong over to our allies in the South Vietnamese government, and I will use America's money, global power and influence (but not American soldiers) to make sure we win in Vietnam. I will restore law and order to our streets, so that good Americans will not have to worry when they walk with their children at night. My opponent has nothing but flowery rhetoric on this issue. I have policies. And that is this election in a nutshell, a man with a plan, against a man with words. And that is also why you should elect me to be your next President.

And your opening statement, Senator McCarthy?
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2017, 06:33:27 AM »

I've run into a bit of a problem. My Laptop isn't working which means I have to get it fixed, which means I won't be able to update this TL for a while.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2017, 06:07:36 PM »

The issue with my laptop was a really small one and I have it back now. The next update to this TL should be up in a few hours.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2017, 08:30:41 PM »

Through all the strife this nation this nation has gone through these past few years, and through all the emotions that have run high, people tend to forget one very important thing: America is still one country, one community. God knows America has it's problems, but I believe America is more then capable of solving these issues, and of improving the lives of it's citizens. If I didn't believe that, I would have never ran for President. America might be fighting an unconstitutional war now, but that doesn't mean America cannot change. There might be poverty today, but that does not mean America cannot eradicate ghettos tomorrow. But these things cannot simply happen on their own. They must be fought for, and whichever President wishes to achieve these things must fight tooth and nail to make them a reality. I will be that President. But will Richard Nixon? I think not. Richard Nixon will not fight to eliminate ghettos, or to ensure each America will have access to quality healthcare, and this, my fellow Americans, is why you should elect me to be your next President.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2017, 07:38:36 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2017, 10:38:22 PM by bruhgmger2 »

This next question will be asked of both candidates, one after the other. With that in mind, Senator McCarthy, what can you say to the millions of Americans watching this debate to convince them that you have what it takes to tackle the problems that America is currently facing?

Well Howard, there is a lot of ways I could answer that question, but one sticks out in particular. The American people can count on me to always make the right decision, no matter how unpopular the right decision is. In my 10 years of service in the United State Senate, I was a staunch supporter of Civil Rights and the struggle against racism, and I strongly supported the War on Poverty which lifted millions of Americans out of poverty. And of course, even when a majority of Americans were misled into supporting the Vietnam War and when no one would have blamed me for supporting the war, I was strongly against it. Indeed I was so against I was willing look past partisanship to criticize my own party's President. In fact, I was so against it I ran against my own party's President in the primaries, even if I thought I couldn't win just to achieve the change I thought was necessary for the good of my country. I am not afraid of tough decisions, because it is in those moments the leaders are separated from the power hungry, and I have the utmost confidence that I am in the former category. My opponent on the other hand.... Well let's just say he is so afraid of tough decisions that he hasn't released one iota of information as to how he plans to bring our troops home with "peace and honor" despite that being one of the pillars of his campaign, simply because he doesn't have plan.

Vice President Nixon, you have one minute to respond to Senator McCarthy's criticisms.

It is absolutely false that I have not released information on how I plan to bring our troops home. I have said, clearly and consistently, that my plan for winning the Vietnam War consists of turning over the fight against the Viet Cong to our allies in the South Vietnamese government so that we are not risking the lives of good Americans, and then using America's influence, wealth and smarts to assure Communist defeat. Senator McCarthy would know that I had a plan to win the war if he had listened to my opening statement.

And now Vice President Nixon, I ask you the same question I asked Senator McCarthy. What can you say to the people watching this debate to convince them that you have what it takes to tackle the problems we as a country face?

America is in chaos. Cities are burning. People hate each other. The poor decision making by the Democratic Party came from their lack of experience. I said in 1960 that the President, whoever they may be must have experience, or they will make bad decisions. Suffice to say, 8 years later, I am vindicated. We cannot repeat the mistake of 1960 in 1968, by electing another inexperienced Senator with employs empty rhetoric and lacks any accomplishments. And that's another thing. For all of Senator McCarthy's talk about how he has a good record of making the right call in tough situations, what has he got to show for it? What has he accomplished? Has he balanced one budget or improved the life of even one citizen? I think not. In fact, I guarantee you that Senator McCarthy has not accomplished one thing I have not. And in the end, America does not need a President who requires on the job training, it needs a President who will create jobs. And between me an my opponent, only one of us has the experience needed to govern this country effectively, and it isn't my opponent.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2017, 07:40:12 PM »

Ah f***. I pressed post instead of preview, so what you see above is not the next update but only part of the next update. Using the power of the modify button I will properly update this TL very soon.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2017, 07:45:46 PM »

Ah f***. I pressed post instead of preview, so what you see above is not the next update but only part of the next update. Using the power of the modify button I will properly update this TL very soon.

Just Delete it. We will pretend like we never saw it.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2017, 10:38:59 PM »

Alright, the post was edited and the real update is up.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2017, 01:31:33 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2017, 04:31:57 PM by bruhgmger2 »

Senator McCarthy, you have one minute to rebut Vice President Nixon's claims, should you choose to do so.

I will gladly rebut Mr. Nixon's claims. First, if Richard Nixon thinks I have not improved the life of one American, then I can introduce him to many Negro's in the south who now can now live in dignity, or many American soldiers and Vietnamese Civilians who know that peace is on the way who would disagree. Second, Richard Nixon alleges that I have not accomplished one thing, but this is not true. In fact, I can think of one major accomplishment I have under my belt, that Richard Nixon has not even come close to achieving. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Richard Nixon has never defeated a sitting President in a primary.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2017, 04:02:49 PM »

can you release state by state polling?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2017, 04:26:06 PM »

Oh... I bet that helps McCarthy with the powerful Shivercats and liberals in Texas, as both were staunchly against LBJ.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2017, 04:32:44 PM »

Oh... I bet that helps McCarthy with the powerful Shivercats and liberals in Texas, as both were staunchly against LBJ.
The Texas Liberals opposed LBJ? I was under the impression most Texas liberals liked LBJ, like Ralph Yarborough for example.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2017, 04:36:14 PM »

The Texas Liberals opposed LBJ? I was under the impression most Texas liberals liked LBJ, like Ralph Yarborough for example.
Not really - Johnson was unpopular in Texas, even hurting Kennedy there when he was put on the ticket. His allies, such as Connally, were mostly conservative, but even still the divide between them and the Shivercrats was factional as well as on civil rights.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2017, 04:42:21 PM »

Right before the election there will be a pre-election breakdown with a state-by-state breakdown.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2017, 04:43:12 PM »

Not really - Johnson was unpopular in Texas, even hurting Kennedy there when he was put on the ticket. His allies, such as Connally, were mostly conservative, but even still the divide between them and the Shivercrats was factional as well as on civil rights.
Who's them?
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2017, 07:47:37 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2017, 10:45:37 PM by bruhgmger2 »

Vice President Nixon, this question goes out to you. In recent weeks, Senator McCarthy has attacked you, with a good amount of success, for a statement you made in 1954 where you allegedly supported American involvement in Vietnam saying that this statement, along with the fact you started your career as a staunch anti-communist, is evidence that your opposition to President Johnson's Vietnam policy is simply a political calculation, and that you will not withdraw American soldiers from Vietnam. What do you say in response to this?

Let me clear something up. Supporting American involvement in Vietnam is not the same as supporting putting American's in harms way. We can support the fight against the Viet Cong while opposing putting boots on the ground, as I do. Second, people must understand, I did say we could potentially put troops on the ground in Vietnam, but I said we should avoid that if all possible, and that we should exhaust all other options before putting Americans in harms way. President Johnson did not exhaust all options before putting Americans in harms way, so comparing my statement to President Johnson's Vietnam policy is highly misleading. Third, I am frankly offended that Senator McCarthy believes that my concern for the well being of Americans is insincere. To anyone watching this debate, I can assure you that yes, I really do care about the well being of Americans. And Lastly, if my opponent is so concerned with purity, and thinks that anyone who ever supported American intervention in Vietnam is insincere in their opposition to President Johnson's Vietnam policy and will not withdraw American troops from Vietnam, then I would like to introduce him to one Senator Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota. This Senator, after voting for the Gulf of Tonkin resolution and strongly supporting the President's agenda, sensed the political winds and began to criticize the same President he had supported his whole career. Clearly, this Senator is simply pulling America's collective leg, and if, purely hypothetically, he became President, he would obviously not withdraw our troops from Vietnam.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2017, 01:15:47 AM »

America has, in recent times, suffered an unfortunate epidemic of crime and rioting, and voters list public safety as one of the most important issues in this election. Vice President Nixon, you have made restoring law and order to the cities one of your top priorities should you be elected President. What is your plan to bring about this restoration?

I have a detailed plan to reduce crime in our cities. My plan to restore law and order to America will consist of appointing an attorney general who will uphold the law, reforming our broken courts so that criminals will be quickly sentenced, fully supporting the FBI and other Federal Agencies who fight crime, a nationwide campaign against drug trafficking, enacting legislation to keep guns out of the hands of criminals while respecting the right to bare arms, and increasing research into what causes crime so we as a nation can deal with this problem.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2017, 03:34:34 AM »

Vice President Nixon, this question goes out to you. In recent weeks, Senator McCarthy has attacked you, with a good amount of success, for a statement you made in 1954 where you allegedly supported American involvement in Vietnam saying that this statement, along with the fact you started your career as a staunch anti-communist, is evidence that your opposition to President Johnson's Vietnam policy is simply a political calculation, and that you will not withdraw American soldiers from Vietnam. What do you say in response to this?

Let me clear something up. Supporting American involvement in Vietnam is not the same as supporting putting American's in harms way. We can support the fight against the Viet Cong while opposing putting boots on the ground, as I do. Second, people must understand, I did say we could potentially put troops on the ground in Vietnam, but I said we should avoid that if all possible, and that we should exhaust all other options before putting Americans in harms way. President Johnson did not exhaust all options before putting Americans in harms way, so comparing my statement to President Johnson's Vietnam policy is highly misleading. Third, I am frankly offended that Senator McCarthy believes that my concern for the well being of Americans is insincere. To anyone watching this debate, I can assure you that yes, I really do care about the well being of Americans. And Lastly, if my opponent is so concerned with purity, and thinks that anyone who ever supported American intervention in Vietnam is insincere in their opposition to President Johnson's Vietnam policy and will not withdraw American troops from Vietnam, then I would like to introduce him to one Senator Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota. This Senator, after voting for the Gulf of Tonkin resolution and strongly supporting the President's agenda, sensed the political winds and began to criticize the same President he had supported his whole career. Clearly, this Senator is simply pulling America's collective leg, and if, purely hypothetically, he became President, he would obviously not withdraw our troops from Vietnam.

Frankly, Nixon is winning right now Tongue Great debate!
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2017, 03:44:10 PM »

Senator McCarthy, you have consistently said that Vice President Nixon's plan to reduce crime will only increase the amount of violent criminals. Why do you think this, and what is your plan to reduce crime?

I think Richard Nixon's plan will increase crime because it will harden petty criminals. If you took someone who had got into a fist fight, and you put him a prison where he is surrounded by mobsters, then this person will learn the ins and outs of the mob, and you have effectively created another mobster. Multiply this person on a national level, and you see my problem with Richard Nixon's plan. As for my own plan, I will fight the disease, not the symptom. I will eliminate poverty so that no one is ever drawn into unorganized or organized crime.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2017, 03:58:24 PM »

Nixon and McCarthy tied after Debate

Excerpt from the Washington Post from the Day of October 19th, 1968

The first Gallup polls since the Presidential debate have been released, and evidently, Nixon had a good performance, and this performance has improved his Presidential Prospects. Where as the last Gallup poll before the election had McCarthy ahead by 5 points, the latest Gallup poll had McCarthy and Nixon tied with 43% each, and gave Wallace 15% of the vote. The same poll stated that 69% of people said Nixon won the debate, 21% said McCarthy won the debate, and 10% said they didn't know.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2017, 08:50:34 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2017, 12:35:10 PM by bruhgmger2 »

Hubert Humphrey Stumps for McCarthy in Pennsylvania

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of October 20th, 1968

Vice President Hubert Humphrey appeared on stage with Eugene McCarthy in Pennsylvania yesterday. He gave a speech supporting McCarthy and addressed the the labor movement, who are very fond of the Vice President but a bit anxious about Senator McCarthy, and told them they have nothing to be afraid of, and that by not enthusiastically voting for McCarthy, they would be doing a disservice to men like Franklin Roosevelt, Harry Truman and Adlai Stevenson. An Excerpt of the speech can be seen below.

Vice President Humphrey Giving a Speech encouraging Labor Union Members to Strongly Back McCarthy

"I am aware that for reasons I cannot comprehend, some of my friends in the labor movement are nervous about the prospect of a President McCarthy. They are rather worried about the behavior of some of his followers, and the radicalism of some of his speeches. I want to assure you, that you have absolutely nothing to fear, in fact not only do you have nothing to fear, you have much to look forward to under the McCarthy administration. President McCarthy will protect workers rights, he will provide quality healthcare and housing, he will fight racism, and he will end poverty, once, and for all! I would like to go back to the concerns I raised a few moments ago. It is true that there are elements of radicalism in some of the speeches my good friend gives. But you must know, there is nothing wrong with that, because after all, moderation in the pursuit of equality is no virtue."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies