The Winds of Change: The Presidency of Eugene Joseph McCarthy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:40:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Winds of Change: The Presidency of Eugene Joseph McCarthy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: How would you prefer I unveil McCarthy's cabinet?
A infobox

A list

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: The Winds of Change: The Presidency of Eugene Joseph McCarthy  (Read 13367 times)
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 09, 2017, 10:35:38 AM »
« edited: September 08, 2017, 09:20:52 PM by bruhgmger2 »

McCarthy shocks President Johnson in New Hampshire

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of March 13, 1968

President Lyndon Johnson, who was expected to triumph easily over token opposition in New Hampshire, has instead lost 45%-47% to Eugene McCarthy, the insurgent anti-war Senator from Minnesota. This is a huge victory for Eugene McCarthy, and is a severe blow to President Johnson. There is some good news for the President, in that it was a very narrow victory, but that will do little to check the sky high momentum of Senator McCarthy. President Johnson will have little time to campaign himself between the various crises facing the nation and his own poor health. One has to wonder what Senator Robert Kennedy (who has hitherto denied any interest in the office his brother once held) is thinking at this moment. Will he run himself? Will he endorse McCarthy in order to present a united front against the President, with whom he has an infamous blood feud? Will he stay out of it all together? These next few weeks will be very telling as to who the nominee of the Democratic Party, and potentially the President, will be.

Some McCarthy volunteers, who played a crucial role in his New Hampshire upset
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 11:46:40 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2017, 05:21:07 AM by bruhgmger2 »

McCarthy addresses supporters after upset victory in New Hampshire Primary

Excerpt from the New York Times from the Day of March 13, 1968

Senator Eugene McCarthy addressing a group of supporters after his upset victory over Lyndon Johnson in the New Hampshire primary

Senator McCarthy: My Friends, tonight we sent a message to the big city bosses. Tonight we sent a message to President Johnson. Tonight we sent a message to the Democratic Party. Tonight, we sent a message to the world! That message is that there must be Peace in Israel! That message is that we can pursue a peaceful foreign policy! That message is that every citizen is entitled to health care! That message is that every American has a right to adequate housing! And most importantly, that message is that we should commit our energy and muster not to the war in Vietnam, but to the war on Poverty!

This is the message that will carry us to the Presidency, and this is the message that will change America forever! To the volunteers that give countless hours to help our campaign, without whom this victory would not be possible, I cannot thank you enough. My friends, I shall repay your efforts a thousand times over! Goodnight dear friends, and keep fighting the good fight!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 11:59:37 AM »

http://www.azquotes.com/author/20543-Eugene_McCarthy

I recommend finding a more cerebral tone for future speeches, as McCarthy managed to be decidedly cerebral while shifting towards passionate speech.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 12:35:57 PM »

I recommend finding a more cerebral tone for future speeches, as McCarthy managed to be decidedly cerebral while shifting towards passionate speech.

By cerebral, do you mean calm? (I tried looking up what a cerebral tone was, but I could not find anything).

Do you mean he started out more calm, then became very passionate at the end of the speech? If so, that is what I was going for with the speech, did it not show through the post?
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 12:54:41 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2017, 06:07:40 PM by bruhgmger2 »

McCarthy seems to shift campaign end game

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of March 14, 1968

President McCarthy?

When Senator Eugene McCarthy launched his campaign, he did not seek to become President himself, but rather to pressure Lyndon Johnson and the Democratic Party into opposing the Vietnam War. In yesterday's speech, he seems to have changed the goal of his candidacy from changing the President's stance on the war, to becoming President himself. This is a major development in the Democratic field, as now McCarthy does not have to worry about harming Lyndon Johnson's re-election chances, and is free to berate the President to his heart's desire.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 01:27:08 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2017, 06:06:58 PM by bruhgmger2 »

The Bobby Question

Excerpt from the Boston Globe from the day of March 15, 1968

Will he or won't he?

Even with all the momentum generated for Senator Eugene McCarthy's campaign after his stunning victory over President Lyndon Johnson in the New Hampshire primary, there is still something that keeps Senator McCarthy up at night. That something is a potential Robert Kennedy presidential run. Such a run would split the Anti-LBJ vote, and some argue that this split would allow the President to run up the middle and nab the nomination. For his part, Senator Kennedy has not commented on whether he has changed his mind on running since Johnson's loss in New Hampshire.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 02:20:00 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2017, 06:52:53 PM by bruhgmger2 »

RFK refuses to confirm or deny run for presidency

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of March 20th, 1968

Despite intense speculation about him running, Senator Robert Kennedy is still refusing to comment on a potential campaign for the presidency

The following exchange took place between a reporter and Senator Robert Kennedy earlier today:

Reporter: Senator, there is much speculation in the press about you potentially running for President after the President's defeat in the New Hampshire primary. Your thoughts?

Kennedy: Well, the press can speculate if they wish, but my primary concern right now is serving the people of New York in the United States Senate

Reporter: Senator, let me ask you straight up, are you or are you not running for President of the United States?

Kennedy: No Comment
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 02:42:17 PM »

By cerebral, do you mean calm? (I tried looking up what a cerebral tone was, but I could not find anything).

Do you mean he started out more calm, then became very passionate at the end of the speech? If so, that is what I was going for with the speech, did it not show through the post?

He was always rather intelligent in speech, and his words weren't angry - they were usually rather intellectual, but in such a way that it inspired hope rather than dullness.

Here's a pretty good example:
http://www.speeches-usa.com/Transcripts/eugene_mccarthy-vietnam.html
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 03:09:19 PM »

He was always rather intelligent in speech, and his words weren't angry - they were usually rather intellectual, but in such a way that it inspired hope rather than dullness.

Here's a pretty good example:
http://www.speeches-usa.com/Transcripts/eugene_mccarthy-vietnam.html

I see. I'll try, but it might sound a little pretentious at times.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 06:04:28 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2017, 06:52:31 PM by bruhgmger2 »

Some time later, at Robert Kennedy's office

March 28th, 1968

Senator Kennedy: Hello, who is this?

Senator Ted Kennedy: Hello, Brother O Mine.

RFK: Ted? Is everything alright?

Ted Kennedy: Oh yes, everything is quite fine, but I have a very important question to ask you.

RFK: And what would that be?

Ted Kennedy: I'm sure you've read the speculation in the press about you making a run for the
White House.

Ted Kennedy: My question to you is, are you running or not? Don't worry about it leaking to the press, I wouldn't do that, I just want to know, as your brother, on a human level, whether you are running for the Presidency or not.

RFK: Ted, I really have on clue what I will do. Part of my wants to strike while the Iron is hot, and make a run in light of Johnson's recent weakness. But then, I am a man of 42 years, I will have many chances to run for President, and if it comes down to picking between a President McCarthy or a President Johnson, President McCarthy has my support every single time. Really, it all comes down to if McCarthy can defeat Johnson or not. If he can, he has my full support, I would give a great deal to see him elected and I will not enter the race. If he cannot, then I will make the much speculated run for the Presidency. Whether he can defeat the President or not will be revealed in the coming days and weeks. Until such time that I can determine he can or cannot defeat the President, my position remains, "no comment".
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 07:04:38 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2017, 03:58:40 PM by bruhgmger2 »

McCarthy Scores Big Victory over Johnson in Wisconsin

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of April 3rd, 1968

In the first 2 Democratic Primaries, the sitting Democratic President now has 2 losses. Eugene McCarthy has triumphed 53-42 over President Lyndon Johnson in the Wisconsin Democratic Primary. This victory further undermines the President, and greatly helps McCarthy in his quest for the Democratic nomination. McCarthy now has even more momentum then he did before, which was already very high coming off his victory in New Hampshire. This loss is a very big worry for the President, because it is now apparent McCarthy's constant attacks on LBJ's Vietnam policy have paid dividends, and the President cannot simply disown a policy he has championed for 3 years, and because of that, McCarthy winning the nomination is now a serious possibility.

McCarthy campaigning in Wisconsin prior to the state's primary

It is now clear the President must do something drastic if he wants to stop this bleeding among the Democratic coalition over the War, but what that "something" is is not yet clear.

State of the Democratic Race so far:
Eugene McCarthy
Lyndon Johnson

New Hampshire
Eugene McCarthy: 47%
Lyndon Johnson: 45%

Wisconsin
Eugene McCarthy: 53%
Lyndon Johnson: 42%
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 09:23:53 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2017, 09:26:55 AM by bruhgmger2 »

Robert Kennedy endorses McCarthy!

Excerpt from the Los Angeles Times from the day of April 3rd, 1968

At a McCarthy rally held in Los Angeles this morning after Senator McCarthy's victory over President Johnson in Wisconsin, Senator Robert Kennedy has stated his "full and complete support" is behind Eugene McCarthy.

Robert Kennedy walking up to the podium to announce his support for Eugene McCarthy at a Los Angeles rally held this morning

At the rally, Senator Kennedy made the following Comments:
Kennedy: In recent weeks, many a journalist has speculated and wondered if I would enter my name into consideration for the office of President of the United States. To these journalists, who may be puzzled as to why I did not throw my hat in the ring, I say that this election is not about me, or Senator McCarthy, or President Johnson. This election is about who will end the bombing in Vietnam, and bring our troops home. And on that issue, I have complete trust in Senator McCarthy to do the right thing! It is for this reason that Senator McCarthy has my full and complete support.

Near the end of the speech, Senator Kennedy promised to do whatever he could to elect McCarthy
Kennedy: I know that the thousands who volunteered to help the campaign of Senator McCarthy have played a very important role in Senator McCarthy's success up til now. My friends, your ranks have been joined. I promise, that I, my family, and my associates will do whatever we can to make President McCarthy a reality!

This is the biggest development in the Democratic primary since McCarthy's victory in New Hampshire. This will almost certainly increase support greatly for McCarthy among Catholics, Ethnic Minorities, and The Poor, making McCarthy an even stronger candidate against the President. Some are even going so far as to bestow the title of front-runner on Senator McCarthy. You can see where those people are coming from, as with each passing day the prospect of a McCarthy nomination looks more and more likely.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 09:52:47 AM »
« Edited: September 09, 2017, 06:04:40 PM by bruhgmger2 »

Backstage, after the rally crowd has dispersed

April 3rd, 1968

McCarthy: Could I ask you a question, Senator?

Kennedy: Go ahead.

McCarthy: Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no complaints about you endorsing me, but just out of curiosity, why? You could have run yourself, and I'm sure you are well aware of that, but instead you endorsed me. Why?

Kennedy: I am 42 years old, I have until 1980 if not later to run for the Presidency, but I have only this one cycle to knock off Johnson. The reason why I waited until now to endorse you, is that I wanted to see if you could defeat the President. If I concluded that you could defeat him, as I did, then you would have my full support, and I would do whatever I could to defeat the President. If I concluded that you could not defeat the President, then I would jump in the race and do whatever I could to defeat the President.

McCarthy: So, you viewed getting rid of Johnson as more important then becoming President yourself?

Kennedy: I don't think of it like that. I think that, at this point, if I jumped in, you and I would split the anti-LBJ vote, the President would run up the middle, and we would be back at square one. I endorsed you because I saw your campaign as the best vehicle to defeat President Johnson.

McCarthy: Well it's certainty good to hear that you believe in my campaign.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 12:44:44 PM »

McCarthy '68!
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 02:57:11 PM »

If you don't mind me asking, do you like the TL so far?
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 04:14:47 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2017, 06:25:00 AM by bruhgmger2 »

Martin Luther King gives speech in support of striking workers in Memphis

Excerpt from New York times from the day of April 5th, 1968

2 days ago, civil rights activist Martin Luther King stopped in Memphis to support black sanitation workers striking against perceived systemic racism and poor working conditions. King give a speech supporting the workers that is being called the "I've Been to the Mountaintop" speech. In the speech he spoke of the 1958 incident when he was stabbed and would have died if he did so much as sneeze and the kind letters he received, as well as laying out what he would not have accomplished had he sneezed.

Near the end of the speech, King addressed the subject of him potentially suffering an early death, saying of it:

"And they were telling me --. Now, it doesn't matter, now. It really doesn't matter what happens now. I left Atlanta this morning, and as we got started on the plane, there were six of us. The pilot said over the public address system, "We are sorry for the delay, but we have Dr. Martin Luther King on the plane. And to be sure that all of the bags were checked, and to be sure that nothing would be wrong with on the plane, we had to check out everything carefully. And we've had the plane protected and guarded all night."

And then I got into Memphis. And some began to say the threats, or talk about the threats that were out. What would happen to me from some of our sick white brothers?

Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it really doesn't matter with me now, because I've been to the mountaintop.

And I don't mind.

Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land!"

King giving the "I've Been to the Mountaintop" speech

Indeed for years, Mr. King has dealt with death threats wherever he went, but these would be assassins never did succeed and he went on living for a little while longer, and, at least for now with the would be assassins again failing to materalize, he will continue to live a little while longer.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 08:12:24 PM »

Before I go on, I'd just like to know, how many people would like to see this timeline go on?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 01:52:04 AM »

Before I go on, I'd just like to know, how many people would like to see this timeline go on?

I totally would.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 09:31:09 AM »

Its Excellent. There isn't alot of timelines that use Eugene McCarthy in it and especially not alot where he becomes president. Please go on.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 09:52:13 AM »
« Edited: August 17, 2017, 06:51:39 PM by bruhgmger2 »

Some time later, at the White House

April 10th, 1968

Johnson: Humphrey, there is something I must tell you. If that son of a b**** McCarthy wins Pennsylvania, and it looks like there is a real chance of that happening, I will drop out. Should that happen, it is your duty to enter the race. On my part I will do whatever I can to make sure you and not that f***** win the nomination. This does not mean I will not contest Pennsylvania, but it does mean you should be on "standby" if you know what I mean. You understand?

Humphrey: Yes, Mr. President
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 06:04:42 PM »

McCarthy hits campaign trail, claims Johnson's message is "message of fear of fear"

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of April 15th, 1968

Ahead of the Pennsylvania primary on April 23rd, Eugene McCarthy held a rally in Philadelphia where he slammed Lyndon Johnson saying that he had strayed from he vision of Democrats like Adlai Stevenson and John F. Kennedy and said that his message was not only a message of fear, but a message of fear of fear.

McCarthy at a Pennsylvania rally

Specifically, he said this
McCarthy: Those of us who are gathered here tonight are not advocating peace at any price. We are willing to pay a high price for peace-- for an honorable, rational, and political solution to this war, a solution which wills enhance our world position, which will permit us to give the necessary attention to our other commitments abroad, both military and nonmilitary, and leave us with both human and physical resources and with moral energy to deal effectively with the pressing domestic problems of the United States itself.
I see little evidence that the administration has set any limits on the price which it will pay for a military victory which becomes less and less sure and more hollow and empty in promise.
The scriptural promise of the good life is one in which the old men see visions and the young men dream dreams. In the context of this war and all of its implications, the young men of America do not dream dreams, but many live in the nightmare of moral anxiety, of concern and great apprehension; and the old men, instead of visions which they can offer to the young, are projecting, in the language of the secretary of state, a specter of one billion Chinese threatening the peace and safety of the world-- a frightening and intimidating future.
The message from the administration today is a message of apprehension a message of fear, yes-- even a message of fear of fear.
This is not the real spirit of America. I do not believe that it is. This is a time to test the mood and spirit:
To offer in place of doubt-- trust.
In place of expediency-- right judgment.
In place of ghettos, let us have neighborhoods and communities.
In place of incredibility-- integrity.
In place of murmuring, let us have clear speech; let us again hear America singing.
In place of disunity, let us have dedication of purpose.
In place of near despair let us have hope.
This is the promise of greatness which was seated for us by Adlai Stevenson and which was brought to form and positive action in the words and actions of John Kennedy
Let us pick up again these lost strands and weave them again into the fabric of America.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 07:16:24 PM »

Johnson boasts of Accomplishments at rally in Pittsburgh

Excerpt from the Boston Globe from the day of April 20th, 1968

President Johnson holding a rally for his re-election in Pittsburgh

President Johnson, despite his poor health held a rally in Pittsburgh yesterday. At this rally, he gave a speech boasting of his accomplishments like the Civil Rights Act, The Voting Rights act, Medicare, Student Loans and Medicaid, and the whole of the Great Society. He said he would continue to push for the Great Society, specifically saying that "The Great Society is Great. But the Great society must be kept Great, and is I, not McCarthy or Nixon who is capable of doing that".
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 08:40:25 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2017, 03:59:12 PM by bruhgmger2 »

McCarthy Wins Pennsylvania

Excerpt from the Los Angeles Times from the day of April 24th, 1968

Just when you thought Johnson couldn't sink any lower, he does. McCarthy has won the Pennsylvania Democratic primary 61-37. It's hard to put into words how bad this primary has gone for the President. I'm struggling just trying to imagine a comparable situation from history. Look, let's be real here, you already know Johnson is struggling. The Question now is, will he Drop out in favor of someone who will push for policies identical to the ones he himself has pushed? Or will he stay in the race, being the stubborn individual he is? Only time can tell.

McCarthy campaigning in Pennsylvania prior to the states primary

State of the Democratic Race:

Eugene McCarthy
Lyndon Johnson

New Hampshire
Eugene McCarthy:47%
Lyndon Johnson:45%

Wisconsin
Eugene McCarthy:53%
Lyndon Johnson:42%

Pennsylvania
Eugene McCarthy:61%
Lyndon Johnson:37%
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 08:52:56 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2017, 06:51:25 PM by bruhgmger2 »

Meanwhile, at the White House

April 24th, 1968

Johnson: The hell do you mean you won't enter the race?

Humphrey: Mr. President, I told you 3 years ago that we should keep Vietnam from escalating. I told you it would turn into the Korean War all over again. I told you that it was completely within in your ability to stop this mess before it started. I told you it would damage the public's trust in your Presidency. I told you your party would turn against you. But you didn't listen to me, did you? And now, we see that I am vindicated. Mr. President, you didn't listen to me then, and I see no good reason to listen to you now. Now, if you excuse me, I have to go.
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 09:16:14 PM »

Go Johnson!!! Does another Establishment candidate decide to enter?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies