The Winds of Change: The Presidency of Eugene Joseph McCarthy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:56:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Winds of Change: The Presidency of Eugene Joseph McCarthy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How would you prefer I unveil McCarthy's cabinet?
A infobox

A list

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: The Winds of Change: The Presidency of Eugene Joseph McCarthy  (Read 13480 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: August 09, 2017, 11:59:37 AM »

http://www.azquotes.com/author/20543-Eugene_McCarthy

I recommend finding a more cerebral tone for future speeches, as McCarthy managed to be decidedly cerebral while shifting towards passionate speech.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 02:42:17 PM »

I recommend finding a more cerebral tone for future speeches, as McCarthy managed to be decidedly cerebral while shifting towards passionate speech.

By cerebral, do you mean calm? (I tried looking up what a cerebral tone was, but I could not find anything).

Do you mean he started out more calm, then became very passionate at the end of the speech? If so, that is what I was going for with the speech, did it not show through the post?

He was always rather intelligent in speech, and his words weren't angry - they were usually rather intellectual, but in such a way that it inspired hope rather than dullness.

Here's a pretty good example:
http://www.speeches-usa.com/Transcripts/eugene_mccarthy-vietnam.html
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 02:57:59 PM »

Eugene McCarthy seems likely to pick Terry Sanford, George Smathers, Stuart Symington, or Ramsey Clark - Kennedy allies who will win over former Truman, Kefauver, Stevenson, Brown, and Kennedy supporters. Of those, I suppose I'd prefer Symington.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 04:26:06 PM »

Oh... I bet that helps McCarthy with the powerful Shivercats and liberals in Texas, as both were staunchly against LBJ.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 04:36:14 PM »

Oh... I bet that helps McCarthy with the powerful Shivercats and liberals in Texas, as both were staunchly against LBJ.
The Texas Liberals opposed LBJ? I was under the impression most Texas liberals liked LBJ, like Ralph Yarborough for example.
Not really - Johnson was unpopular in Texas, even hurting Kennedy there when he was put on the ticket. His allies, such as Connally, were mostly conservative, but even still the divide between them and the Shivercrats was factional as well as on civil rights.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 08:44:38 AM »

That's gonna be it for today, I need to get to sleep. I'll leave you with this: To the people who like this TL, (and I know you exist), what is it you like about this TL? And if you don't mind me asking, What was your favorite part of the TL, and what do you think I could improve on? Feedback is always appreciated.

I think the debate was written a bit oddly, and I think Eugene McCarthy isn't quite as radical as you portrayed him. He even endorsed Reagan in 1980.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 07:17:06 PM »

That's gonna be it for today, I need to get to sleep. I'll leave you with this: To the people who like this TL, (and I know you exist), what is it you like about this TL? And if you don't mind me asking, What was your favorite part of the TL, and what do you think I could improve on? Feedback is always appreciated.
I think the debate was written a bit oddly, and I think Eugene McCarthy isn't quite as radical as you portrayed him. He even endorsed Reagan in 1980.
I think that was more because he really didn't like Jimmy Carter then because he was a moderate.
Sure, but his opposition to Southern Democrats - conservatives like Helms and Thurmond, and moderate conservatives like Jimmy Carter and Albert Gore Sr. - mark him better than being extremely radical on most issues. IIRC, he supported the basic income as a replacement to most welfare, but I don't think he suggested a UBI. Or maybe it was some negative income tax. Not so much radical as maverick-y.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 03:31:15 PM »

Louis Lefkowitz or Barry Goodman would be good replacements for Javits. If you want a big name, Kermit Roosevelt Jr., Henry Kissinger, and Archibald Roosevelt Jr. would be good nominees.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies