Indiana Republicans continue early voting shenanigans in Democratic areas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:37:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Indiana Republicans continue early voting shenanigans in Democratic areas
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Indiana Republicans continue early voting shenanigans in Democratic areas  (Read 1130 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 10, 2017, 11:05:08 AM »

Republicans limiting early voting in Marion County, letting it bloom in suburbs

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/08/10/silencing-vote-data-shows-unequal-barrier-indiana-polls/435450001/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Also, from another release:

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 11:08:32 AM »

But I thought suburban Reaganite conservatives were Smiley nice Smiley people who are not racist?
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 11:13:06 AM »

So Bayh did win after all.
But I thought suburban Reaganite conservatives were Smiley nice Smiley people who are not racist?
This is Indiana.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 11:16:20 AM »

Early voting should be abolished other than with cause absentee voting, anyway.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 11:29:21 AM »

Typical hack response.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 11:34:10 AM »

Indiana closes polls at 6 PM to make it hard for many people to vote.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 12:20:59 PM »

Funny enough, Indiana Republicans really don't even have much to worry about. Existing trends and gerrymandering have allowed them to lock in power for probably a good while, and playing games with early voting and poll closing times really doesn't make that much of a difference, yet they do it anyway, because that is what happens when there is no good way to contest their rule. They get comfortable making little changes to the system to disadvantage their opponents.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 12:26:53 PM »

Funny enough, Indiana Republicans really don't even have much to worry about. Existing trends and gerrymandering have allowed them to lock in power for probably a good while, and playing games with early voting and poll closing times really doesn't make that much of a difference, yet they do it anyway, because that is what happens when there is no good way to contest their rule. They get comfortable making little changes to the system to disadvantage their opponents.

How does the polls closing at 6 benefit the pubs?  Serious question.  I'm sure it does or the rule wouldn't still be in place.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 12:39:10 PM »

How does the polls closing at 6 benefit the pubs?  Serious question.  I'm sure it does or the rule wouldn't still be in place.

White-collar workers and SAHMs have more flexibility in getting to the polls on Election Day than people in blue-collar jobs or who rely on public transportation.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 12:45:28 PM »

White-collar workers and SAHMs have more flexibility in getting to the polls on Election Day than people in blue-collar jobs or who rely on public transportation.

Ugh, remind me to actually read the articles once in a while.  Smiley
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 01:11:49 PM »

They are, they probably have the same view you literally typed two posts later.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 03:33:52 PM »

Voting by mail would solve lots of problems, including access to precincts. Cost of a postage stamp?  Have the ballot returnable on addressee-pay system. Or better yet, have the mailing of ballots from voters franked by the Postal Service. It would increase voter turnout. That would be difficult on Indiana Republicans -- tough luck.  Oregon seems not to have many problems.

Access is more of a concern than is voter fraud. I found that my county deleted the eligibility of my parents upon their deaths after I asked about such.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 03:36:46 PM »

Voting by mail would solve lots of problems, including access to precincts. Cost of a postage stamp?  Have the ballot returnable on addressee-pay system. Or better yet, have the mailing of ballots from voters franked by the Postal Service. It would increase voter turnout. That would be difficult on Indiana Republicans -- tough luck.  Oregon seems not to have many problems.

Access is more of a concern than is voter fraud. I found that my county deleted the eligibility of my parents upon their deaths after I asked about such.

My EV concern is situations like Montana's special earlier this year, where Gianforte got caught punching a reporter but had already more or less won the election on early votes.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2017, 03:42:51 PM by Santander »

Voting by mail would solve lots of problems, including access to precincts. Cost of a postage stamp?  Have the ballot returnable on addressee-pay system. Or better yet, have the mailing of ballots from voters franked by the Postal Service. It would increase voter turnout. That would be difficult on Indiana Republicans -- tough luck.  Oregon seems not to have many problems.

My EV concern is situations like Montana's special earlier this year, where Gianforte got caught punching a reporter but had already more or less won the election on early votes.

You could make the same argument about a candidate punching a reporter 15 minutes before the polls close on election day. Or the day after the election, for that matter. You can't design electoral systems around that kind of thing. A bigger concern would be having early voting that happens before any real debate between the candidates occurs, or during primary season where the field narrows quickly, causing a lot of early votes to go to candidates no longer in the race.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 03:53:16 PM »

You can let people submit a second ballot that would invalidate the first one. A number of states already do this. Aside from that, I agree with what Santander said. The same issue exists even with just election day voting, but it doesn't have to be the case with early voting.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 04:22:39 PM »

You can let people submit a second ballot that would invalidate the first one. A number of states already do this. Aside from that, I agree with what Santander said. The same issue exists even with just election day voting, but it doesn't have to be the case with early voting.

I hadn't thought of that, thanks. Tongue
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 09:43:19 PM »

The Marion County GOP are complete crooks (well, maybe just the national GOP). Let's get this straight: Marion County, which has almost 1/6 of the state's population, doesn't even have 20% as many early voting locations as Johnson County, a small suburban county that's coincidentally strongly Republican. When I went to vote at the ONE location in Marion, it was an hour and a half long wait. That's classic voter suppression. Jim Merritt (the MCGOP chair), is my State Senator. His unwillingness to do anything for what is fair is the reason I'm not only going to vote against him, but campaign against him in 2018. An absolute political hack who paints himself as a moderate. Rant over.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 01:18:40 AM »

I suppose they're trying to make things as hard as possible for Donnelly. Ugh.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 04:24:39 AM »

In an ever diversifying society, the only way Republicans can win is by cheating.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 05:34:32 AM »

Evidence that Indiana is a poorer version of Kansas.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies