Unarmed Russian Military Plane buzzes Washington D.C
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:18:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Unarmed Russian Military Plane buzzes Washington D.C
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Unarmed Russian Military Plane buzzes Washington D.C  (Read 372 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 09, 2017, 10:11:12 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/09/us/russian-air-force-tu154-overflight-dc/index.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Treaty on Open Skies is probably one of those treaties we're better off exiting, if only to prevent hostile powers like Russia from gathering intelligence on us.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 10:15:45 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/09/us/russian-air-force-tu154-overflight-dc/index.html

The Treaty on Open Skies is probably one of those treaties we're better off exiting, if only to prevent hostile powers like Russia from gathering intelligence on us.

I mean, they have satellites, cyber intelligence, and thousands of spies on the ground. They don't need birds to gather intel.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 10:17:06 PM »

I mean, they have satellites, cyber intelligence, and thousands of spies on the ground. They don't need birds to gather intel.

As any CIA spook would tell you, every little bit helps.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 02:08:36 AM »

Well, our aerial spying on Russia during the cold war may have had negative value because it allowed them to be the first to photograph the far side of the moon.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 10:40:44 AM »

I agree in the case of Russia and some other countries (like China), who all have capabilities to observe us without flying birds above us like this, but there are a lot of other signatories to that treaty that probably do not have the same capabilities.

Although, I guess in regards to members like Romania, Bulgaria and Slovakia, you could argue that they do not really have a pressing need to make recon flights like this either.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 10:42:50 AM »

We get to do the same in Russia.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 12:05:11 PM »

As any CIA spook would tell you, every little bit helps.

Exactly, so why should we blindfold ourselves to what's going on in Russia, given this is a two-way treaty?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies