Half of GOP would support postponing 2020 election if Trump asked.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:49:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Half of GOP would support postponing 2020 election if Trump asked.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Half of GOP would support postponing 2020 election if Trump asked.  (Read 1300 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 10, 2017, 01:58:08 PM »

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/346000-poll-about-half-of-republicans-would-back-postponing-2020-election-if-trump

Lovely sentiment, Heil Trump!
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 02:00:48 PM »

In this same poll, it says "Pollsters found 47 percent of Republicans think Trump won the popular vote."

LOL.
Then they wonder why they are referred to as "Deplorables."
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 02:04:34 PM »

In this same poll, it says "Pollsters found 47 percent of Republicans think Trump won the popular vote."

LOL.

That'll be the way to trigger a civil war.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 02:26:10 PM »

I'd make a November 28 joke, but I guess in 2020 it would be November 23.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 02:29:04 PM »

What wouldn't at least half the GOP support if Trump told them to? Independent thought isn't something they do anymore.

LOL.

That has more to do with the "Party of Stupid" rap than being deplorable
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 02:48:10 PM »

They should have asked how many would support making Trump President for Life.
ShamDam
ChanDan

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 02:50:06 PM »

Questions like these don't necessarily reflect the (very real) unprecedented nature of this presidency. I'm sure a lot of Democrats would have supported Obama delaying the 2016 election what with all the Muh Third Term Pls sentiment going around.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 02:58:12 PM »

This is deplorable. They should get in the basket.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 03:09:06 PM »

Questions like these don't necessarily reflect the (very real) unprecedented nature of this presidency. I'm sure a lot of Democrats would have supported Obama delaying the 2016 election what with all the Muh Third Term Pls sentiment going around.

I didn't like Obama but I didn't interpret any of the "third term" discussions as being serious at the time.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 03:20:08 PM »

Where the heck did this idea even come from? I've literally never heard this proposed by Trump or any other Republican. Ever. This poll is the first time I've ever heard something like this. And now half of twitter is overreacting and calling Republicans fascists.
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 05:30:44 PM »

This is the kind of thing that makes me deeply, deeply worried.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 05:38:55 PM »

Where the heck did this idea even come from? I've literally never heard this proposed by Trump or any other Republican. Ever. This poll is the first time I've ever heard something like this. And now half of twitter is overreacting and calling Republicans fascists.

Fakish news. I remember back in 2012 during one of the million and a half pub debates, the moderator asked rick santorum if he wanted to ban birth control, to which he replied no. The story the next day was then framed as "OMG Rethuglicans discussed banning birth control during their debate, how radical, war on women" even though it was only discussed because the debate moderator asked that question, and no one even took the bait.

I mean, there are plenty of polls where a supermajority of respondents say that water should be banned and any food containing dna should be labeled. Poll responses arent necessarily reflective of reality.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 05:42:11 PM »

Who comes up with these poll questions? In order for something like this to become the story it's become, the idea must've popped into someone's mind, been articulated, and got agreed on by enough people, then actually executed. "Let's put the American republic up for debate to make supporters of the opposing party look deplorable." The thought sums up the trends of American politics for the past 15 years, and is of equal concern as the result.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 06:01:13 PM »

I'm not gonna put this at face value, since I've heard Nate Silver say that in these kinds of polls, respondents might just pick the "pro-Trump" answer. It doesn't necessarily mean they would want to actually postpone the election.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 06:15:48 PM »

Get the white trash out of the GOP please. You can have them Democrats...
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 06:38:14 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2017, 09:00:18 PM by TexasGurl »

Are you a troll?
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 08:15:47 PM »

Get the white trash out of the GOP please. You can have them Democrats...

There used to be somewhat of a "stupid equilibrium" where both sides split the idiots so they couldn't control either party. In the 50's and 60's the Republicans had crazy John Bircher anti-government conspiracy theorists and the Dems had George Wallace-esq populist/racist Southern Dems, but they were both minority factions and thus didn't have any real power. 
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 08:35:32 PM »

I'm not gonna put this at face value, since I've heard Nate Silver say that in these kinds of polls, respondents might just pick the "pro-Trump" answer. It doesn't necessarily mean they would want to actually postpone the election.

Yeah basically this, I'm sure you could get a sizable percentage of dems to agree to hackish things if pollsters would ever ask.
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 08:58:13 PM »

Should also note that immediately before asking this question, there were a series of questions about the prevalence of voter fraud.

So basically the pollster decided to prime up the participants into a mindset that would make them give  the answer that pollsters wanted them to choose.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 09:02:28 PM »

Should also note that immediately before asking this question, there were a series of questions about the prevalence of voter fraud.

So basically the pollster decided to prime up the participants into a mindset that would make them give  the answer that pollsters wanted them to choose.

Exactly
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 09:02:36 PM »

Don't ruin the Atlas circlejerk Tongue
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 10:46:07 PM »

And of course it was WaPo conducting this.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 02:18:36 PM »

Yeah, and they were stupid enough to buy it.

But keep passing that buck.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2017, 01:56:06 AM »

Hillary was right: Half of Trumps voters are deplorables. If only the other half would wise up, like right now!
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2017, 03:50:18 AM »

This said, people who think it OK to postpone an election because their beloved leader might lose it fail to understand that that initiates dictatorships. Dictatorships either have no elections (like Qaddafi) or have rigged ones (like the Kim dynasty in North Korea)

Maybe we Americans have been utter naifs about politics because the political system served us so well for so long and successfully shielded most of us (blacks in the Jim Crow South obviously excepted) from the worst of political tendencies. Thus the likes of Senators Joseph R. McCarthy, Jesse Helms, and Governor Paul LePage didn't hurt us that badly. That is over! 

People who believe the lies of the current President are capable of believing anything, including that the President with the most contempt ever for democratic norms exemplifies democracy in its purest and most wonderful form. Note well that such types as fascist butchers Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler, Marxist-Leninist butcher Josef Stalin and Mao Zedong, absurdist butcher Moammar Qaddafi, and Ba'athist  butchers Hafez Assad and Saddam Hussein offered that their horrendous systems were the purest examples of democracy to have ever existed, especially in contrast to 'bourgeois' (hence, fake) democracy.

Yes, Donald Trump is as bourgeois as one could get except for his aesthetic values (he appeals to proles in part by expressing the vulgarity of people 'not corrupted by high-quality education'), but I can imagine him offering a government that represents economic interests based upon economic power as a 'true' democracy.  That's how Mussolini's Corporate State operated in practice. Don't fool yourself; there are Americans who think that the right way to do politics.

The pollster had to choose some order of questions worth asking. One is whether voter fraud is commonplace (illegal aliens voting, people voting in multiple precincts, impersonators)  and the other is some question that suggests a dead giveaway for potential support of a dictatorship.

It may be that where people are complacent about their political freedom (the USA) they are less scared of dictatorship than if they knew first hand about a dehumanizing regime. If you live in Chile or the Czech Republic, then you know about alternatives to democracy imply.  I have seen stories of people in America saying that "this reminds me of what I remember in Cuba".

But don't be fooled. Dictatorship in America will be really ugly. Maybe not as bad as Nazi Germany or "Democratic Kampuchea". Imagine political life being reduced to the elementary-level discourse that we see from President Trump. That's how politics were in Fascist Italy. Consider that dictatorial regimes tend also to dredge up the worst demons in a nation's history. We have severe inequality, some of the most militaristic tendencies in the first century of American existence (a/k/a Manifest Destiny), mob violence in the form of lynchings, and some of the most vicious racism to have ever existed. To the extent that America was a liberal democracy American political culture could mute (if not moot) such.

But people would never be sent to internment camps for their ethnic origin, religion, or political beliefs? Think of the incarceration of Japanese-Americans in a time of fear. God help us should we be able to say "Andersonville, here we come!" Sure, that was "Confederate"... but I see lots of Confederate flags outside the South -- and they are not in use in re-enactments.       
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies