Couple of reasons why I ain't a rabid leftist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:48:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Couple of reasons why I ain't a rabid leftist
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Couple of reasons why I ain't a rabid leftist  (Read 1731 times)
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2005, 08:51:33 AM »

This is more personal, for me, then some people's generic hate-lists...

1. While a business may or may not be a monopoly, government pretty much always is, by definition.

2. Abortion may be neccesary, but I don't see what's so hot about an inalienable right to kill an unborn child. Especially since a doctor recommended my mother abort me (to her credit, she immediately switched doctors).

3. Why is it that the only people you can legally make fun of are fat, white, southern Christians?

4. Why do illegal immigrants get to have free healthcare and education, paid for by American citizens and legal immigrants?

5. Why is it imperialist when the US invades Iraq, but not so when Iraq gets large numbers of Jordanian/Syrian/Saudi/Whatevers with Iranian slush money and weapons to fund and direct a rebellion, especially when the goal is to establish a copy of Iran (just like the US wants to make Iraq more like the US)?

6. I'm so tired of people telling me that Joe Lieberman is a conservative. He's a populist. Get it right!

7. Why is it that you can burn a flag, but a TV news anchor cannot put a flag lapel on your shirt?

I can think of more... give me time...
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 08:58:13 AM »

Who's advocating to burn flags?  Maybe BRTD and opebo, but they're not Democrats at all.  Leftists, yes.

I am a white, Southern Christian Democrat, as most of the South once was.  I like to think I'm losing weight though.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 09:07:47 AM »

4. Why do illegal immigrants get to have free healthcare and education, paid for by American citizens and legal immigrants?

Your party isnt doing much to address this issue.  However, some Democrats are.  (see:  Governor Warner and Governor Richardson)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 09:13:42 AM »

Nobody. He's saying that it's somewhat hypocritical to say you have the right to burn one, but not wear one on your shirt if you're on the news. I'm sure you don't take this stance, though I'm sure some people do.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 09:20:47 AM »

1. While a business may or may not be a monopoly, government pretty much always is, by definition.

I don't think so.  Sometimes the states should have jurisdiction over things as well.  Not all Democrats ignore the Tenth Amendment.  I believe some businesses should be regulated though, otherwise unethical business practices would ensue (look what happened to the de-regulated power industry in California in 2003).  Some companies should have been broken up (Standard Oil), others should not have.  Breaking up AT&T in 1984 was one of the worst decisions the government ever made.  Good thing they had enough sense not to break up Microsoft.  So I have mixed feelings there.

Screw the illegals.  They should not receive any benefits, period.  They have no right to be here.  If they want to come to America, do it legally.  We should deport as many as possible.  I strongly disagree with President Bush's plan to invite more guest workers in this country.  We should have more restricted immigration, because right now it's out of control.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 10:34:13 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2005, 10:42:01 AM by William Jennings Beef »

Democratic government is answerable to the people.  Busincess is answerable to no one.  And in the age of globalization, business often is foreign-owned.  If they aren't Americans, why should they even have the interests of Americans at heart?  Also, the government can't pick up and move operations to Malaysia.

2. Abortion may be neccesary, but I don't see what's so hot about an inalienable right to kill an unborn child.

Agreed.

3. Why is it that the only people you can legally make fun of are fat, white, southern Christians?

Last time I checked all Americans have freedom of speech, as well as freedom to be offended and get their panties in a knot over stupid little things.  I don't see why this is a political issue, and not an attempt to create cultural conflicts out of thin air.

Because big business controls immigration policy and benefits from the cheap labor of illegals.

5. Why is it imperialist when the US invades Iraq, but not so when Iraq gets large numbers of Jordanian/Syrian/Saudi/Whatevers with Iranian slush money and weapons to fund and direct a rebellion, especially when the goal is to establish a copy of Iran (just like the US wants to make Iraq more like the US)?

It's not imperialist.  It's stupid foreign policy based on flawed geopolitical theory.  The premise of going to war was based on outright lies, and the mistake is costing thousands of lives.  This mistaken adventure is now the direct cause of the regional instability that you yourself point out.

6. I'm so tired of people telling me that Joe Lieberman is a conservative. He's a populist. Get it right!

I'm tired of people telling me John McCain is a liberal.  He's not even a moderate.

7. Why is it that you can burn a flag, but a TV news anchor cannot put a flag lapel on your shirt?

You can burn a flag because we live in a country that loves freedom and hates stupid laws against imagined crimes that don't hurt anyone.  Furthermore I've never heard of a TV news anchor being forbidden to wear a flag lapel.  Maybe in loony San Francisco, but nowhere else.

Do you honestly believe that liberals hate America?  Liberals fight for social justice because they love their country and want to make it a better place.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 10:38:19 AM »

Do you honestly believe that liberals hate America?  Liberals fight for social justice because they love their country and want to make it a better place.

Do you honestly believe this list was meant to be taken literally?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 10:38:32 AM »

Democratic government is answerable to the people.  Busincess is answerable to no one.
On the contrary. A business is answerable to the shareholders, in some cases to the government, and, most importantly, to the consumers.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Even if they are Americans, why should they have the interests of Americans at heart?
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 10:54:57 AM »

Keep in mind this isn't 'why I ain't a Democrat'. This is 'Why I ain't a rabid leftist'. Two different thingmajigs.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 12:45:24 PM »

Well I just don't get it, call me clueless, but I don't get why it is ok to make fun of Polish people, Italians, Unitarian Universalists, Black people, stupid people, thesbians, lesbians, gays, women, squirrels, liberals, Democrats, Ted Kennedy, Jane Fonda, John Kerry, and last but not least of course the French, but NOT fat people, white people, Southern people, or (so called) Christians --- like I said I just don't get it, care to provide a clue for the clueless?

When has this been the case?  Something I don't understand is the rabid political correctness on the part of the left.  It seems they need to tie "American" to every ethnic group, African American (although they mostly refer to themselves as black, and have no problem with us white folk doing such), Italian American, Jewish American, it gets tiredsome.

Squirrels should be made fun of, and more often because they run out in front of traffic (unless you're refering to something else)
Stupid people are always made fun of regardless politics

Christians-I have nothing wrong with making fun of, but I'm afraid to do it openly, since it's more than 90% of the population.
White people-I only make fun of those who are so incredibly white it makes me look bad, you can make fun of, but don't cry when your race is made fun of back

Southerners-I guess it's more fun to make fun of yourself if your from the south. 

Fat people-I'm a few pounds overweight and I say we make fun of fat people more.  Being insensitve and intolerant to them will make them want to loose weight Cheesy

The problem occurs when you lump fat, white, southen Christian into one catergory.  It becomes a hasty generalization (or a compostion fallacy?) to say Jerry Falwell has these qualities, so all Republicans have these qualities.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 12:48:19 PM »

Who's advocating to burn flags?  Maybe BRTD and opebo, but they're not Democrats at all.

I don't advocate that at all.

I never voted for any candiate in a partisan race who was not a Democrat, I donated money to John Kerry, I did some work for the Kerry campaign on campus, I probably will do the same for the Democrat candidates for Governor and Senate next year. How am I not a Democrat at all? I think of myself as a progressive Paul Wellstone-style DFLer, which is the Democrats in Minnesota.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 12:55:51 PM »

Who's advocating to burn flags?  Maybe BRTD and opebo, but they're not Democrats at all.

I don't advocate that at all.

I never voted for any candiate in a partisan race who was not a Democrat, I donated money to John Kerry, I did some work for the Kerry campaign on campus, I probably will do the same for the Democrat candidates for Governor and Senate next year. How am I not a Democrat at all? I think of myself as a progressive Paul Wellstone-style DFLer, which is the Democrats in Minnesota.

I think he's staying that the views you express on this board are out of step with mainstream Democrats.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 12:57:30 PM »

Cereal and Milk,

Not all Republicans like people like Falwell, but most Republicans did vote for Bush, who sucks up to Falwell and the radical religious right more often than I change my underpants.

And most Democrats voted Kerry, who likely sucks up to some rabid left-winger. What's your point?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 01:03:06 PM »

Personally, I don't know any left wingers that have rabies; in fact, I don't even personally know any bats that have rabies, not personally anyhoo.

metaphor

n : a figure of speech in which an expression is used to refer to something that it does not literally denote in order to suggest a similarity
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 01:03:30 PM »

Oh and that squirrel reference was to an episode of Sponge Bob Square Pants.

like I said, that's like 1 in 10,000 Republicans that make the big deal of Spongebob being gay.  They're so stupid it gets published in the paper because of it's shock value, but I think most Republicans think those 1 in 10,000 give them a bad name.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 01:09:43 PM »

Personally, I don't know any left wingers that have rabies; in fact, I don't even personally know any bats that have rabies, not personally anyhoo.

metaphor

n : a figure of speech in which an expression is used to refer to something that it does not literally denote in order to suggest a similarity

humor

n : it is a difficult concept for some people

Smiley

So you have difficulty using humor in an effective manner, we already know that from your poorly executed Spongebob reference.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 01:17:34 PM »

metaphor

humor

n : it is a difficult concept for some people

Smiley

So you have difficulty using humor in an effective manner, we already know that from your poorly executed Spongebob reference.

Libertarian:

Someone who takes life too seriously.

No, you just suck at internet humor. For instance, the spongebob reference - until you mentioned it as being one, I doubt many people knew what it was a reference to if anything. Then, you make stupid comments about never meeting a 'rabid' left winger when the fact that it is metaphor is obvious - the humor you were using was sarcasm apparently, but it was such a stupid time to use it that it made it look like you were actually taking the word 'rabid' literally instead of metaphorically. So, like I said, it's not my fault you are not good at comedy.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 01:27:13 PM »

Have you ever heard of the old show 'make me laugh'?
You'd do well on that show, I think.

Well, if the objective is to keep myself from laughing, not likely - I laugh pretty easily, but your jokes just weren't funny. (though the 'yes it is' almost got a chuckle, but it's been done too much before Tongue)
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2005, 01:29:57 PM »

MacFarlan, you're 49 and you watch SpongeBob?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2005, 01:37:03 PM »

i personally like to make of just about everybody.
I dont believe that illeagal immigrants should get free Healthcare or education.
i think both moves were imperialist.
Ive had it right. I know hes a populist.
i have no problem with flag lapel pins or flag burning, although i do not plan on wearing a flag lapel pin or burning a flag anytime soon.

Look at that! Youre closer to a rabid leftist than you think! Smiley
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2005, 01:56:27 PM »

LOL!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies