Can a person ever be worthy of forgiveness?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:14:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Can a person ever be worthy of forgiveness?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Can a person ever be worthy of forgiveness?  (Read 1442 times)
Higgins
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 11, 2017, 03:00:37 AM »

Before I go, I just want to ask that. What would it take for a person to cease being rejected, to cease being hated, and to redeem themselves? What would it take to be forgiven for past wrongdoings?

You can think I'm trolling, but I am truly tired of being hated for being myself. I tried to commit suicide last year by taking Xanax and drinking Jack Daniels.. I drank two bottles of JD and took three Xanax. Sist work but did some swell damage to my kidneys.

I know you're gonna kick me out, and I know you guys can't grasp that there is an actual human being on the other side of the screen (I'm real. I have a family; I have sisters, nieces, nephews and a girlfriend). I don't understand why you guys can't forgive me. I've always been rejected my whole life. Why can't you guys just accept me? Why can't you forgive me?
Higgins
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 03:05:45 AM »

All I ask is for a final 24 hours before the hammer hits, and I want to know why (plz explain in posts) why you guys hate me so much; why you despise me. What can I do to be accepted?

It's sad that you'll read this and think it's a joke. It isn't. I deal with intense depression and suiocidal thinking. Being rejected constantly does not help my mental state. Being treated like a nonperson because I was stupid in the past hurts. A person can't take back their mistakes. They can only try to do better. I'm not perfect. I'm reactionary and I get mad easily. If you grew up like me, being beaten up and called names for as little as getting a 95 rather than 100 on a test, you'd understand. If you spent your entire life, from the age of 11 up, being dehumanized verbally by your own father, you'd understand. I'm not perfect but all I want is to fit in and belong here. To be given a chance. Don't judge me now based on me years ago.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 03:12:23 AM »

I'm sorry for calling you a McCarthyist in the other thread. Since this is a political forum, criticism of your political views is fair game, but that was far too cavalier -- especially considering how new you are. Once you learn the norms here, people will be more accepting. And, as someone who has also suffered from depression, I'm willing to forgive and forget.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 03:21:53 AM »

You should know that this is a very brutal place, like most of the internet is.
Don't let what people here think of you affect how you think of yourself.
Many people here are very unforgiving and immature.
Higgins
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 03:23:51 AM »

I'm sorry for calling you a McCarthyist in the other thread. Since this is a political forum, criticism of your political views is fair game, but that was far too cavalier -- especially considering how new you are. Once you learn the norms here, people will be more accepting. And, as someone who has also suffered from depression, I'm willing to forgive and forget.

Since Gulf whatever his name is is gonna put me anyway, I'm a formerly banned member. I was banned once long ago for making a really ugly thread, vile stuff I'm
Pretty ashamed of, and every time I have tried to come back I am banned again as soon as I'm spotted. As someone who suffers with depression, suicidal depression, and substance abuse issues, do you know what it does to me to feel like no matter what I do, I'm
Hated because I'm me? That no matter how much time
Passes or what I do I'll always be rejected because I am me? Because I made stupid mistakes years ago and said some really immature crap I'm ashamed of?

The irony is this is a politics forum. Everyone in politics is slimy. Everyone in politics has done or said b
Dumb things. The very people most idealize here whether it be Clinton, Sanders, trump Reagan anyone they all said dumb things. The very essence of politics is fiery debate. This is a country where a senator caned another senator, not that I endorse
Violence. Harry Truman once said peoppe
Who voted for Nixon should go to hell. That's what politics is, it a blood sport. I'm
Not a bad person. I'm just troubled and I feel like I am hated here because I am troubled. I ha e been called a "concern troll" because I pretty much don't fit in the Democratic Party or Republican Party. I love
My country and politics. I just want to be forgiven for everything. I hate myself every day; every time
I look at myself in the mirror. Is that not punishment enough? Do you guys have to keep casting me out of here to rub in how much I suck, how worthless I am?

And I know again it will be called trolling, and you'll say "it's only
An Internet forum" but every time the ban hammer is hit it's a condemnation of me for bing myself. It's a sentence saying that no matter what I do, I am forever guilty
Of being me. That's great for a suicidal person. Great for someone who already hates themselves after years of abuse.

I am sorry I have offended you guys or antagonized you guys at times. I'm neither a McCarthyist nor a Nazi nor a "concern troll" or any sort of
"Troll". I'm just a dumb, stupid, reactionary moron who has a bad temper. And for that I apologiZe.

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 04:07:52 AM »

Dude, this is an online political forum. You act like if you can't participate here your world will come to an end. If things are that bad, then maybe you should call 1-800-273-8255 and get some help for yourself. Otherwise, you need to get a grip. You're disliked here because of your behavior, which was so repugnant and trollish that you were banned. In all your reincarnations it was rather obvious who you were because you can't shake your own behavior. Constantly trying to sneak back in here like some druggie needing his fix isn't going to help your case that you've changed and should be given another chance either.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 08:17:41 AM »

You can't change the nature of this place, many have tried. The mods should be more concerned about the brutual nature of this place, but most of them are part of the problem.

I've been saying that for a long time, but I know, that, as long as bullies are allowed to post here it will never change.

Jacobin makes some very good points.

There are plenty of other sites to post your politic views, and you could easily start your own.
This is not the place to post if anyone is emotionally troubled.

Yes, there are a lot of people on this site who hate each other simply because of political opinions. This has been the case for over a decade.
I wish you the best. That's about all that I can do.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 08:49:55 AM »

This is not the place to post if anyone is emotionally troubled.
Really? I'm alive and kicking.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 09:05:59 AM »

There are many thousands of other places to discuss politics elsewhere on the internet.  This one (just like you, me and everybody else reading this) ain't special.  If you have a huge issues with rejection, why do you keep going back to the things and people that have rejected you?  That's dumb.  Move on.  Start over.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 09:07:43 AM »

Everyone is worthy of forgiveness.

The Catholic Church has the sacrament of reconciliation, and I believe in that.  It shows that you can come and be forgiven.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 09:40:40 AM »

what
Higgins
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 10:22:08 AM »

Dude, this is an online political forum. You act like if you can't participate here your world will come to an end. If things are that bad, then maybe you should call 1-800-273-8255 and get some help for yourself. Otherwise, you need to get a grip. You're disliked here because of your behavior, which was so repugnant and trollish that you were banned. In all your reincarnations it was rather obvious who you were because you can't shake your own behavior. Constantly trying to sneak back in here like some druggie needing his fix isn't going to help your case that you've changed and should be given another chance either.

And what can help my case?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 10:37:02 AM »

There have been a number of banned users that have directly appealed by PM to one or more moderators. After reading the appeal some of those have been unbanned. Those that were successful in returning stayed away from sock creation for at least a year before they were unbanned.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 10:43:06 AM »

There have been a number of banned users that have directly appealed by PM to one or more moderators.

You can't send a PM if you're banned.  Tongue
Higgins
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 10:48:19 AM »

There have been a number of banned users that have directly appealed by PM to one or more moderators. After reading the appeal some of those have been unbanned. Those that were successful in returning stayed away from sock creation for at least a year before they were unbanned.

How's this. I have been here for a month and haven't actually broken any rules. Instead of banning me, I will voluntarily take a year off (as in, log out and not use this account). Would this be sufficient enough to show self control? Would a genuine and heartfelt public apology for my past misdeeds be accepted as well along with this? I will pretty much do whatever is asked of me in order to be able to stay here and be given a pardon for past wrongdoings. All I ask is to be given a chance and to be told how I can earn that.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 10:50:43 AM »

We don't accept you because you're an antagonistic nut.
Higgins
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 11:58:36 AM »

We don't accept you because you're an antagonistic nut.

Well, I hope I get the chance to prove you wrong about me.
I'm logging out and will take a year off posting from this date to show I have self-control and can be trusted with being a member of this forum. I hope the mods will consider giving me a chance. I will not log in or post for a year until 8/12/2018. I will not make any other accounts in that span of time either.

For those whom I have antagonized, I apologize. We are all on this forum for the same reason - love of our countries and love of politics. God bless you all.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 12:15:20 PM »

The best way to prove the sincerity of your post is to actually not come back for a year. And no, I'm not making a snide comment. For someone predisposed to making sock accounts, trust is obviously a big issue. I imagine it would take a lot of effort to stay away for a whole year.

However if you don't manage that, you'll extinguish the efficacy of this appeal forever among the current users of Atlas.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 01:39:25 PM »

1) If you're really that depressed, please consider getting help. Even if it seems like no one cares, there's always someone out there who does. It's just hard to find them sometimes.

2) That being said, please don't use depression as some sort of tool to try to get people to like you or not ban you or anything like that. I guess it can be tempting to want to do that but kind of selfish. When I was in high school, I had a boyfriend who casually talked about killing himself if I stopped seeing him and even used it in some other situations when we were dating and it really f[inks]ed me up for a long time.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 02:20:58 PM »

Before I go, I just want to ask that. What would it take for a person to cease being rejected, to cease being hated, and to redeem themselves? What would it take to be forgiven for past wrongdoings?

You can think I'm trolling, but I am truly tired of being hated for being myself. I tried to commit suicide last year by taking Xanax and drinking Jack Daniels.. I drank two bottles of JD and took three Xanax. Sist work but did some swell damage to my kidneys.

I know you're gonna kick me out, and I know you guys can't grasp that there is an actual human being on the other side of the screen (I'm real. I have a family; I have sisters, nieces, nephews and a girlfriend). I don't understand why you guys can't forgive me. I've always been rejected my whole life. Why can't you guys just accept me? Why can't you forgive me?

You have a girlfriend?  Shouldn't that be more important to your self-esteem than whether you are allowed on an internet forum?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 02:48:19 PM »

If you are struggling with depression, you need to seek some counseling and/or help so you can empower and enrich your life for the better. Regardless of politics, I think everyone should be committed to ensuring no one hurts themselves.

That being said, your political views, and more importantly, tone of rhetoric is why many of us have been hostile towards you. I don't know you as a person, so I can't (and won't) judge you as a human being. But, on a political forum it is fair to critique one's politics.

But, anyone can redeem themselves in terms of political discourse, but that can't come before you taking care of yourself personally. you as a human being need to be healthy before you care what others think.

Like I said, I hope you get help if you need it. I say that sincerely.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 03:36:00 PM »

Only if your name is Jaime Lannister
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 04:41:30 PM »

Only if your name is Jaime Lannister

Ok, that's it. you confirmed it. Our dutch posters are by FAR the best. DavidB-mvd10 2020
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 09:41:11 PM »

The question betrays a considerable misunderstanding of forgiveness.  The benefit of forgiving accrues primarily to the forgiver, not the forgiven. As such it is not the worthiness of the forgiven that is of import, but the charity of the forgiver.  Also forgiveness is not a get out of jail free card that wipes away past indiscretions as if they never happened.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 11:43:31 PM »

While I do think it makes sense to for a sockmaster seeking readmission to at least be expected to have not made any sock accounts in the past X months, the idea of a "let me keep this account but I won't post with it for a year" test seems really strange to me.  I'm not clear on why that's a useful test of self-control that will demonstrate anything useful about whether someone should be let back.  And do you even have a guarantee from Nym that that's going to be enough?  I'm afraid it'll end up like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silence_(The_Twilight_Zone)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies