Torch-bearing white nationalists march ahead of alt-right rally(Charlottesville)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:29:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Torch-bearing white nationalists march ahead of alt-right rally(Charlottesville)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 28
Author Topic: Torch-bearing white nationalists march ahead of alt-right rally(Charlottesville)  (Read 40758 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: August 12, 2017, 09:24:42 PM »

So, I guess that, now that we're nearly 20 pages in, I can say that this event probably secured a D hold on Virginia's governorship this year?

Not at all. This was not a Republican-affiliated event, just some racist nut jobs.  The race is still in play even if Northam has the lead.

The event had numerous College Republicans from UVA according to Twitter Users.

Does the UVA have the right to eject them for interacting with hate groups like the KKK, Neo-Nazis, etc ?

They should eject the KKK for interacting with College Republicans.

What ? !
The KKK cant force UVA's College Republicans to join with them in this rally of hatred.
That was a decision the College Republicans made for themselves.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #451 on: August 12, 2017, 09:31:51 PM »

I just flipped over to Fox News to see how they're covering the story - turns out they're talking about electro-magnetic pulses over Guam after a North Korean nuke launch.
In their defense, they covered it a lot today.  I think around 12:00 p.m. they had it live for awhile.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #452 on: August 12, 2017, 10:11:12 PM »

I just flipped over to Fox News to see how they're covering the story - turns out they're talking about electro-magnetic pulses over Guam after a North Korean nuke launch.
In their defense, they covered it a lot today.  I think around 12:00 p.m. they had it live for awhile.

I figured. I think MSNBC is doing a Maddow rerun now, so it's not just them.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #453 on: August 12, 2017, 10:22:41 PM »

Can we now call the alt right "Radical Christian Terrorists"?
We've heard about "Radical Islamic Terrorists?"
We've heard about atheist Communists and the evil that they have done.

It seems that there are evil people in every "tribe".
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #454 on: August 12, 2017, 10:29:52 PM »

I think a lot of the alt-right are non-religious or into weird Aryan cult stuff. Richard Spencer said Christians were "cucks" one time.
Daniel909012
Rookie
« Reply #455 on: August 12, 2017, 10:31:56 PM »

Did the man cry out the name of Christ when he attacked? This was a hate attack, nothing related to Christianity
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #456 on: August 12, 2017, 10:34:50 PM »

If the KKK has nothing to do with Christianity, could you also say that ISIS has nothing to do with Islam? Could you say that NK has nothing to do with atheism? I think that you get my point.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #457 on: August 12, 2017, 10:37:17 PM »

If the KKK has nothing to do with Christianity, could you also say that ISIS has nothing to do with Islam? Could you say that NK has nothing to do with atheism? I think that you get my point.

The KKK are Christian terrorists, but Neo-Nazis generally aren't Christians and misc. alt righters religious views are varied.
Daniel909012
Rookie
« Reply #458 on: August 12, 2017, 10:41:11 PM »

The klan does not base its hatred on Christianity, isis if it does in Islam.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #459 on: August 12, 2017, 10:42:22 PM »

I flipped it by earlier today and that nimrod who primaried out Eric Cantor was on there blathering about how Trump's "both sides do it" stance is correct.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #460 on: August 12, 2017, 10:44:18 PM »

The klan does not base its hatred on Christianity, isis if it does in Islam.

Yeah, the phrase "cross burning" has absolutely no groups or ideologies associated with it whatsoever. /s
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #461 on: August 12, 2017, 10:48:17 PM »

The KKK are Christian terrorists, but Neo-Nazis generally aren't Christians and misc. alt righters religious views are varied.

Trying to create an equivalency between violence perpetrated by Muslims and violence perpetrated by Christians is dicey because, for reasons not necessarily related to the religions themselves, weaponized Christianity has generally been used as a means to other ends, whereas weaponized Islam has almost always been carried out for Islam's sake.

Maybe if Jesus - like Mohammed - had been a military leader who created an empire and forcibly converted all in his path, that would have been different. But he wasn't. There was never a "Christian empire." Even things like the Inquisition were more about earthly monarchs wanting to consolidate power. When Europeans engaged in imperial conquest, they sometimes said they were doing so "for God" but in practice, they were far more interested in getting land, natural resources and forced labor.

When right-wingers use Christianity as a weapon, it's because they view Christianity as just one of many things that make "the Volk" what it is. When Orthodox Serbs slaughtered Muslim Bosniaks, they weren't doing so "in the name of Christ." They were doing so because they were Serbs, and being Christian was merely a part of what made Serbs, Serbs (and being Muslim was merely part of why Bosniaks could never be Serbs and never be permitted to exist in their nation-state).

Christians do not feel any particular "kinship" with Christians as a whole, in the way that Muslims do with the "ummah" - the community of believers. A white Southern Baptist could care less about Christians getting killed or persecuted in Nigeria or Iraq. Those Christians aren't "their people" (Western white people) so it doesn't bother them.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #462 on: August 12, 2017, 10:52:41 PM »

You sincerely think that people don't know Bernie Sanders, from Brooklyn, who frequently cites his identity, is Jewish? Are you kidding me?
He's everything but a proud Jew, though -- every proud Jew is a Zionist. Sanders is as proud a Jew as Ana "Young Turk" Kasparian is a proud Armenian. I'm not exactly the only Jew viewing it this way.
...really? You're going to go there?
Anyone familiar with David's posting history would not be surprised he went there.  His views on Israel likely shape his views on Trump.  Since Trump is willing to give the Zionists a free hand, I doubt he can do wrong as far as David is concerned.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #463 on: August 12, 2017, 10:57:08 PM »

I'm fine with that, but I would say Radical White Nationalist Terrorists. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #464 on: August 12, 2017, 11:04:30 PM »

You sincerely think that people don't know Bernie Sanders, from Brooklyn, who frequently cites his identity, is Jewish? Are you kidding me?
He's everything but a proud Jew, though -- every proud Jew is a Zionist. Sanders is as proud a Jew as Ana "Young Turk" Kasparian is a proud Armenian. I'm not exactly the only Jew viewing it this way.

He voted to spend $225 million of US taxpayer dollars on system for Israel's Iron Dome system that they use to avoid taking any damage when they decide to massacre Palestinians. But he isn't hardline Israel first enough for you. Sad!
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #465 on: August 12, 2017, 11:07:48 PM »

Unpopular take, but legalizing prostitution might of helped these people.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #466 on: August 12, 2017, 11:09:37 PM »

I was in a discussion on here last year about when it was fair to call something "Islamic terrorism" and I pointed out that people generally don't call Palestinian terrorism "Islamic terrorism" because their goals were for the most part purely political, as opposed to ISIS or Al-Qaeda.

The KKK's a bit more borderline in that their goals are more political than religious, but most KKK chapters require Christianity for membership, they use the Bible to justify their positions, and they heavily use Christian iconography. Most KKK members would probably categorize it as a Christian organization.

In general though I think it would be better to categorize this phenomena as just "White supremacist terrorism" or something to that effect, since as I said earlier, lots of these type people beyond just Klansmen aren't Christians.

I'm fine with that, but I would say Radical White Nationalist Terrorists. 

Drop the radical, I don't really care about hurting "non-radical" white nationalists feelings.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #467 on: August 12, 2017, 11:12:28 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2017, 01:34:53 PM by NOVA Green »

Domestic terrorists need to experience the full force of Federal Law Enforcement....

We have at least one person murdered at the hands of a Terrorist in the streets of Virginia.....

The terrorist used the same technique utilized by ISIS sympathizers in France and the UK within the past few short months....

Why is this not considered immediately to be an act of domestic terrorism?

Let's face it---- this was a reunification White Supremacist rally that pulled together various factions and splinter organizations of what is frequently an Extremist Movement that includes all types of various organizations and political formations....

2,000 Nazi Storm Troopers marching through the streets of a Liberal college town in Virginia, and now murder and mass attempted murder was committed.

If the Feds won't shut down these bastards, then unfortunately, we will need to address them using alternative means....

Not only should the individual identified be charged under Federal Terrorist Laws, but all organizations and individuals that he was associated with, should be having their front doors kicked in by armed law enforcement officers.... All computers and financial records should be seized for any of these Terrorist organizations that this person was connected with.

There is always a trail of money when it comes to Terrorist organizations, and it's time that the Feds do the right thing, and consider this a domestic terrorist incident, and go after the "handlers".

If this were a lone wolf ISIS deal, we would be dealing with a terrorist incident the same way that I propose.

What are we waiting for---- the next Oklahoma City???

°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #468 on: August 12, 2017, 11:16:32 PM »

Some have criticized atheists because of the evils that some Communists have done. Is it fair to blame all atheists?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #469 on: August 12, 2017, 11:22:41 PM »

Richard Spencer is an atheist, as are many alt-righters, others are into occult and paganism. There is no correlation between being a Christian and being alt-right.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #470 on: August 12, 2017, 11:31:18 PM »

Unpopular take, but legalizing prostitution might of helped these people.

Incels define the far right presence on the internet, but look at the photos. These are affluent, suburban frat bros. 
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #471 on: August 12, 2017, 11:40:57 PM »

Richard Spencer is an atheist, as are many alt-righters, others are into occult and paganism. There is no correlation between being a Christian and being alt-right.
The KKK is Christian. David Duke is part of the KKK and certainly was part of this protest.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #472 on: August 12, 2017, 11:42:03 PM »

Domestic terrorists need to experience the full force of Federal Law Enforcement....

We have at least one person murdered at the hands of a Terrorist in the streets of Virginia.....

The terrorist used the same technique utilized by ISIS sympathizers in France and the UK within the past few short months....

Why is this not considered immediately to be an act of domestic terrorism?

Let's face it---- this was a reunification White Supremacist rally that pulled together various factions and splinter organizations of what is frequently an Extremist Movement that includes all types of various organizations and political formations....

2,000 Nazi Storm Troopers marching through the streets of a Liberal college town in Virginia, and now murder and mass attempted murder was committed.

If the Feds won't shut down these bastards, then unfortunately, we will need to address them using alternative means....

Not only should the individual identified be charged under Federal Terrorist Laws, but all organizations and individuals that he was associated with, should be having their front doors kicked in by armed law enforcement officers.... All computers and financial records should be seized for any of these Terrorist organizations that this person was connected with.

There is always a trail of money when it comes to Terrorist organizations, and it's time that the Feds do the right thing, and consider this a domestic terrorist incident, and go after the "handlers".

If this were a lone wolf ISIS deal, we would be dealing with a terrorist incident the same way that I propose.

What are we waiting for---- the next Oklahoma City???

I liked this.... until I saw the antifa logo .-.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #473 on: August 12, 2017, 11:46:13 PM »

The KKK is Christian. David Duke is part of the KKK and certainly was part of this protest.

Gee, it's almost as if the reason for this rally was completely unrelated to religion or something.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #474 on: August 12, 2017, 11:52:58 PM »

This sort of grasping at straws to try to make every single act of violence or terrorism committed by a white guy "Christian terrorism" really doesn't help and distracts from the real horrors. We don't even know the perpetrator's religious beliefs. No one would call Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (whose founder isn't even a Muslim) an Islamic terrorist group even though they have the same goal as Hamas, because their attacks aren't religious motivated. Neither was this guy's, even if he was loosely connected to the KKK.

It's kind of amazing how people also think the Oklahoma City bombing was an act of religious terrorism when McVeigh wasn't religious in any way...I've even heard people call Dylann Roof a Christian terrorist even though he actually attacked a Christian place of worship. It's amazing.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies