Torch-bearing white nationalists march ahead of alt-right rally(Charlottesville) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:40:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Torch-bearing white nationalists march ahead of alt-right rally(Charlottesville) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Torch-bearing white nationalists march ahead of alt-right rally(Charlottesville)  (Read 41314 times)
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: August 12, 2017, 03:08:45 PM »

Why won't Trump say Radical White Supremacist Terrorism?

You can't solve a problem unless you say what it is

Guys please remember that political correctness is the greatest threat on college campuses.

^^^
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 03:16:41 PM »

I'm just going to leave this here-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yhZZwVAqMg
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 03:27:23 PM »

Yep. Hosts on CNN being smug are a bigger threat than the white supremacists who probably killed someone today.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 03:32:20 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2017, 03:35:15 PM by TexasGurl »

Behold the typical leftist, triggered by facts that contradict the narrative he's trying to push and unable to come up with any actual arguments.

You mean like people who drive cars into crowds of protesters they disagree with?

I'm not a leftist by any stretch but people being "triggered" is the least of our problems right now.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 03:43:40 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2017, 03:48:16 PM by TexasGurl »

Behold the typical leftist, triggered by facts that contradict the narrative he's trying to push and unable to come up with any actual arguments.

You mean like people who drive cars into crowds of protesters they disagree with?

I'm not a leftist by any stretch but people being "triggered" is the least of our problems right now.

I don't sympathize with the car driver at all. He ought to be locked up for life.

This incident is not, however, a validation of the leftist worldview.

No, but it shows how the backlash against PC and the hate (and today violence) that backlash has generated are now a bigger problem than PC.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 10:29:52 PM »

Can we now call the alt right "Radical Christian Terrorists"?
We've heard about "Radical Islamic Terrorists?"
We've heard about atheist Communists and the evil that they have done.

It seems that there are evil people in every "tribe".

I think a lot of the alt-right are non-religious or into weird Aryan cult stuff. Richard Spencer said Christians were "cucks" one time.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 10:37:17 PM »

If the KKK has nothing to do with Christianity, could you also say that ISIS has nothing to do with Islam? Could you say that NK has nothing to do with atheism? I think that you get my point.

The KKK are Christian terrorists, but Neo-Nazis generally aren't Christians and misc. alt righters religious views are varied.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 11:09:37 PM »

I was in a discussion on here last year about when it was fair to call something "Islamic terrorism" and I pointed out that people generally don't call Palestinian terrorism "Islamic terrorism" because their goals were for the most part purely political, as opposed to ISIS or Al-Qaeda.

The KKK's a bit more borderline in that their goals are more political than religious, but most KKK chapters require Christianity for membership, they use the Bible to justify their positions, and they heavily use Christian iconography. Most KKK members would probably categorize it as a Christian organization.

In general though I think it would be better to categorize this phenomena as just "White supremacist terrorism" or something to that effect, since as I said earlier, lots of these type people beyond just Klansmen aren't Christians.

Can we now call the alt right "Radical Christian Terrorists"?
We've heard about "Radical Islamic Terrorists?"
We've heard about atheist Communists and the evil that they have done.

It seems that there are evil people in every "tribe".

I'm fine with that, but I would say Radical White Nationalist Terrorists. 

Drop the radical, I don't really care about hurting "non-radical" white nationalists feelings.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 12:48:08 PM »

So, who wants to bet Charlottesville becomes a watershed historical moment that helps define the Trump era? Seems a good bet.
His first major domestic test and he failed miserably.

This will probably hurt his numbers in a manner disproportionate to its significance, as it 1. As you said, is his first domestic test 2. It reinforces and makes more credible a pre-existing reputation of his and 3. It gives a convenient point for his soft support to jump ship

Maybe I'm cynical but I don't think he's going to lose any support from this. He'll keep hovering in the high 30's unless the Russia stuff escalates into an impeachment level event or there's some kind of foreign policy disaster like nuking NK for no justifiable reason.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 03:16:16 PM »

Wait, so all those super reputable news sources saying this was a false flag by a black guy were wrong?
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 07:04:35 PM »

To die over exercising your political rights of free speech is so sad.  The government needs to crack down on these radical right wing militas.  Round them up now.  They disgust me.

Will the government crack down on Black Bloc and Black Panthers too? Because they disgust me as much as the right wing militias?

I saw a stat on political terrorism in the US yesterday. In the past however many years there've been 38 attacks from white supremacists groups and exactly one from black nationalist groups. One problem is much more significant than the other.

And as the other poster said, this isn't a one or the other situation. I don't like black nationalists or white nationalists. I'm just not going to make red herring references to black nationalists after white nationalist attacks/demonstrations because I'm not desperately grasping to excuse/distract from this.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 07:40:49 PM »

To die over exercising your political rights of free speech is so sad.  The government needs to crack down on these radical right wing militas.  Round them up now.  They disgust me.

Will the government crack down on Black Bloc and Black Panthers too? Because they disgust me as much as the right wing militias?

I saw a stat on political terrorism in the US yesterday. In the past however many years there've been 38 attacks from white supremacists groups and exactly one from black nationalist groups. One problem is much more significant than the other.

And as the other poster said, this isn't a one or the other situation. I don't like black nationalists or white nationalists. I'm just not going to make red herring references to black nationalists after white nationalist attacks/demonstrations because I'm not desperately grasping to excuse/distract from this.

Perhaps I'm overly naive, but I've always been puzzled by the thinking behind trying to defend a wrong action by one side with "well, the other side does it" (whether or not the other side actually does do it is irrelevant).  If some action is wrong when the other side does it, then it's wrong when your side does it too.  And it doesn't justify your side doing it; two wrongs don't make a right.

That's actually one of the "official" logical fallacies in classical reasoning going by the Latin name "Tu quoque" ("And you also") for the reasons you stated. When you resort to that you're essentially admitting your own guilt. "Whataboutism" has recently been the name for it which is more accessible.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 11:03:41 AM »

Can you guess who's even worse than Nazis: THE MEDIA OF COURSE-

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/aug/13/charlottesville-riots-show-media-manage-to-make-si/

I didn't know a CNN truck was running down protesters this weekend.........
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies