Opinion of the Charlottesville Police Department
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:14:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the Charlottesville Police Department
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of the Charlottesville Police Department
Freedom Fighters

Horrible People

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Opinion of the Charlottesville Police Department  (Read 1090 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 13, 2017, 12:44:24 AM »

They actually sound WAY better than most police. I'm reading reports that they basically ignored antifa and only focused on dispersing the Nazis. In some cases they even basically fought alongside antifa.

Pretty hilarious and exposing of hypocrisy to anti-BLM people now making threats against the police which is happening all over right wing sites and making fun of the two who were killed in that helicopter crash.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 05:57:03 AM »

If what you say is true (I've been avoiding reading about this story) then HPs, obviously.  The state shouldn't pick sides when two horrible groups are yelling at each other.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 06:01:29 AM »

While the Antifa was correct this time that their opponents were fascist.  But then again, they believe that everyone who disagrees with them is a fascist.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 07:22:56 AM »

If what you say is true (I've been avoiding reading about this story) then HPs, obviously.  The state shouldn't pick sides when two horrible groups are yelling at each other.
B O T H S I D E S D O I T
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 07:37:35 AM »

I'll give you a pass since you specifically said you haven't read about the story, but the idea that a mob of violent Neo-Nazi thugs and the people who showed up to counter-protest them are just "two horrible groups" is an absurd false equivalency.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 07:56:33 AM »

I'll give you a pass since you specifically said you haven't read about the story, but the idea that a mob of violent Neo-Nazi thugs and the people who showed up to counter-protest them are just "two horrible groups" is an absurd false equivalency.

I'm sure most of the counter-protesters were decent people.  But Antifa was also present, and I assume that dead0man was referring to them.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 09:02:28 AM »

FF I guess, but they should have worked harder to end the violence early.

Political violence must be popped like a zit. Period.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 09:25:11 AM »

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?lang=en
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 11:20:21 AM »

Really, they're FFs? From what I've seen they were pretty lenient towards the white supremacists, in a way that police would never be if they were, say, BLM protesters.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 11:55:05 AM »

FF, like every single other police department.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 11:59:57 AM »

The Caracas Police Department are FF?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 12:05:18 PM »

The Caracas Police Department are FF?

As a whole, sure why not?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 12:08:03 PM »

Because they are thugs fighting for Maduro?
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 03:29:23 PM »

FF.

The vast majority of police officers are good people, yet there are too many regressive leftists who want to argue otherwise. There are some police departments that are bad (Baltimore and Ferguson come to mind), but they can (and will) be made good with proper reform. Even so, Charlottesville is not anything like Baltimore in this sense.

For me, I think the left-wing position is to be in favor of increasing policeman salaries (as they are workers in their own sense), while also enacting policies such as required body camera usage for dangerous operations and accurate vetting that eliminates the ~5% of officers that are bad people.
Wakie77
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 11:46:26 AM »

Charlottesville actually went to federal court in advance of all of this in an attempt to have the demonstration moved.  Charlottesville is extremely liberal (80% voted Hillary).  The KKK had marched here in July and met conflict and resistance.  The judge (a W Bush appointee whose wife in an active Republican) refused the Charlottesville request to move the demonstration to a location where the police felt they could better control things saying that there was no way to prevent conflict between these groups.  So .... yeah .... there's that.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 12:35:38 PM »

FF.

The vast majority of police officers are good people, yet there are too many regressive leftists who want to argue otherwise. There are some police departments that are bad (Baltimore and Ferguson come to mind), but they can (and will) be made good with proper reform. Even so, Charlottesville is not anything like Baltimore in this sense.

For me, I think the left-wing position is to be in favor of increasing policeman salaries (as they are workers in their own sense), while also enacting policies such as required body camera usage for dangerous operations and accurate vetting that eliminates the ~5% of officers that are bad people.

This plus better training. Currently, police training mostly revolves around how to use their guns and other weapons, rather than on de-escalation tactics. It would also be helpful to expand bias reduction training, so that (for example) police don't immediately escalate to violent tactics when they see a black man in the heat of the moment.

Programs that improve communication and general relations between police and their communities are also important.

The part about accurate vetting cannot be emphasized enough either, with all the documented cases of literal KKK members joining police departments and all that.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 04:54:24 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2017, 04:56:16 PM by Saguaro »

FF.

Exactly this. I consider myself to be significantly to the left of most Americans, and I've sided firmly with BLM over the years, but the fact of the matter is this: law enforcement (at least, competent law enforcement; no case can be made to defend the Darren Wilsons, Joe Arpaios, and David Clarkes of the world) is a basic necessity for any functioning society.

Better salaries and better training are the way forward. I can't believe I'm unironically suggesting this, but America could do with taking a few notes from Utah's book when it comes to training police officers to deescalate volatile situations, rather than immediately resorting to deadly force.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 06:03:15 PM »

Charlottesville actually went to federal court in advance of all of this in an attempt to have the demonstration moved.  Charlottesville is extremely liberal (80% voted Hillary).  The KKK had marched here in July and met conflict and resistance.  The judge (a W Bush appointee whose wife in an active Republican) refused the Charlottesville request to move the demonstration to a location where the police felt they could better control things saying that there was no way to prevent conflict between these groups.  So .... yeah .... there's that.

People have a right to demonstrate freely.  There was no grounds to block the march.  And "it will upset liberals" don't pass the Constitution test.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies