SJW's Take Issue with...the Maryland Flag
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:48:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SJW's Take Issue with...the Maryland Flag
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SJW's Take Issue with...the Maryland Flag  (Read 2900 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 13, 2017, 02:03:31 PM »
« edited: August 13, 2017, 08:41:39 PM by Kevin »

Since all things Confederate are in the news thought I'd post this.

Kind of surprising I always thought the red and white white flag on the cross represented a homege to Maryland's history as a Catholic Colony. Then agan considering the state's complicated history with the Civil War it would make sense. Even though Maryland in most senses is a northern state.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/maryland/does-maryland-flag-have-confederate-ties/462028466
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 02:11:28 PM »

Somehow they don't take issue with Mississippi's flag.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 02:12:44 PM »

Well, it should be replaced, if only because it's ugly as hell.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 02:14:11 PM »

Since all things Confederate are in the news though I'd post this.

Kind of surprising I always thought the red and white white flag on the cross represented a homege to Maryland's history as a Catholic Colony. Then agan considering the state's complicated history with the Civil War it would make sense. Even though Maryland in most senses is a northern state.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/maryland/does-maryland-flag-have-confederate-ties/462028466
this is historical revisionism. Maryland's flag has nothing to do with the confederacy.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 02:14:22 PM »

Uhhhhhhhhhhh they do?

Are you actually retarded?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 02:23:06 PM »

I am generally pretty far left,  but this seems stupidly overkill. It's the kind of thing that actually hurts the cause of equality in the long run.
From the article:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I understand the French colonial empire was a big enabler of the slave trade, so we'd better ban wearing red, white, and blue, too. Oh, and the nobility liked white, so we have to ban plain white, too.  In fact, let's just create a whole scheme of modern sumptuary laws, too!

Oh, wait. The authors, signers, and ratifiers of the Constitution and Declaration of Independence owned slaves too. I guess we'd better trash those tomorrow and surrender our legal, financial and economic systems to the various Native American governments.

I understand (intellectually, if not at the gut level) the many biases inherent in modern American culture. And I do want to see us live up to our ideals in the real world.  At the same time, that real world is a complex place. The Left has won a lot in the last decade or two, and while there's a long way to go. The last thing we want to do is push those who disagree with us into Sun-Tzu's 'death ground'.

I have no sympathy for those who want to celebrate the evils of the past, or who try to lie about them to make them more glorious and justify evils in the present. Yet there is a spectrum with selfless defender of freedom on one end and spoiled crying infant on the other.  This seems more like the actions of someone drunk with (potential) power than that of someone whose primary interest is freedom and equality. In other words, it makes me think of the French Revolution's worse aspects, just a little.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 02:29:47 PM »

I would have never even put such a stretched connection together.  I can see taking issue with the Mississippi flag, but Maryland's? It's just a checkerboard and some funky shapes with four random colors (I'm sure they mean something).  Really?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 02:37:33 PM »

this is historical revisionism. Maryland's flag has nothing to do with the confederacy.
That would be historical revisionism. The Maryland flag was adopted as a way to reconcile the Union and Confederate parts of Maryland's role in the Civil War, as during the war, the Union used the Calvert arms and the Confederacy used the Crossland arms. That said, it would be silly to have this flag be drawn into the white nationalism ruckus.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 02:41:45 PM »

What don't they take issue with?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 02:42:15 PM »

Historical revisionism is common for their ilk. If you look at the guy's rationale, it's pure lunacy. There's a reason why the saner elements of the left are trying to distance themselves from these people.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 02:45:17 PM »

Uhhhhhhhhhhh they do?

What are you, 12? Do you say "that's so gay" whenever you don't like something?

If you want me to stop being as asshole to you (which btw, I never come to you, you come to me), then grow up and act like a goddamn adult.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 03:15:14 PM »

Ultimately the SJWs will demand the demolition of the Washington Monument and the Jefferson Memorial on the grounds that they too were slave owners.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 03:16:54 PM »

SJWs are every bit as toxic as the other 'side'.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 03:21:44 PM »

I don't care. The article specified exactly one person complaining about this. Stuff like this is just a cheap attempt to deflect from the very real problems demonstrated yesterday and from all the mistakes being made by the incompetent dumbass president America saw fit to elect in reaction to some whiny PC twits who annoyed them on Twitter. People complaining about snowflakes are the new snowflakes. One guy complaining about this isn't a serious social problem on any level, get over it.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 03:23:48 PM »

You could use this logic on any of the original 13 colonies.  E.g.:

-New York's flag includes the state's coat of arms.
-The coat of arms for New York was designed at a time when slavery was still legal in New York.
-Therefore, the flag of New York is racist.

Checkmate.  Tongue

Since slavery was at one point legal in all of the original 13 colonies, I guess this works for all of them in some fashion.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 03:25:40 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2017, 03:27:36 PM by Cashew »

Uhhhhhhhhhhh they do?

If you want me to stop being as asshole to you (which btw, I never come to you, you come to me), then grow up and act like a goddamn adult.

Well it's either that or a really botched attempt at whataboutism. I mean seriously, you took the time to look up the Mississippi flag, but a simple search to find out if people oppose it seemingly evades your thoughts despite the fact you yourself consider it more worthy of offense than the Maryland state flag. Of course you will get called out for this manufactured cheap shot.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 03:26:56 PM »

I don't care. The article specified exactly one person complaining about this. Stuff like this is just a cheap attempt to deflect from the very real problems demonstrated yesterday and from all the mistakes being made by the incompetent dumbass president America saw fit to elect in reaction to some whiny PC twits who annoyed them on Twitter. People complaining about snowflakes are the new snowflakes. One guy complaining about this isn't a serious social problem on any level, get over it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TAryFIuRxmQ
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 03:30:18 PM »

Uhhhhhhhhhhh they do?

Well it's either that or a really botched attempt at whataboutism. I mean seriously, you took the time to look up the Mississippi flag, but a simple search to find out if people oppose it seemingly evades your thoughts despite the fact you yourself consider it more worthy of offense than the Maryland state flag. Of course you will get called out for this manufactured cheap shot.
I knew they'd be offended by the Mississippi flag, I just thought being offended by the MD flag is so ridiculous. It's known as a joke, persay.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 03:46:05 PM »

..it's not particularly funny as the MS flag has attracted 100x as much controversy as the MD one.
SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 04:01:31 PM »

The MD flag is one of the best state flags, and as far as I know, it's very popular in MD. It's even featured on the uniforms of the Baltimore Ravens.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 04:10:41 PM »

The MD flag is one of the best state flags, and as far as I know, it's very popular in MD. It's even featured on the uniforms of the Baltimore Ravens.
Maryland has one of the best if not the best state flag. I love its heraldic element.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 04:14:22 PM »

You could use this logic on any of the original 13 colonies.  E.g.:

-New York's flag includes the state's coat of arms.
-The coat of arms for New York was designed at a time when slavery was still legal in New York.
-Therefore, the flag of New York is racist.

Checkmate.  Tongue

Since slavery was at one point legal in all of the original 13 colonies, I guess this works for all of them in some fashion.

That sword in the flag stands for people taking arms to defend Slavery. And the native American stands for the inferiority of non-WASPs. Shocked Must change that flag! Tongue
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 04:42:32 PM »

Except that one side is running the government of the United States, is mostly united in it's deplorableness, and is doing its best to put it's noxious ideas into practice, and the other... isn't in power and wouldn't let SJW's call the shots if it was. Both sides are not equal.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 05:22:20 PM »

Side X: Jews, blacks, Catholics, and immigrants are inferior beings and thus need to be removed from our country or killed.

Side Y: We think this flag is bad.

Reasonable Person:
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 05:29:04 PM »

Our state song (Maryland, My Maryland) is much, much worse. If you want to get outraged by Maryland's confederate symbolism, the state song is a much more obvious target.

I do really like my state flag, and will fight to defend it. It's honestly one of the most original state flag designs in the USA.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies