SJW's Take Issue with...the Maryland Flag
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:14:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SJW's Take Issue with...the Maryland Flag
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: SJW's Take Issue with...the Maryland Flag  (Read 2905 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 05:47:38 PM »

SJWs are every bit as toxic as the other 'side'.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 06:13:38 PM »

Side X: Jews, blacks, Catholics, and immigrants are inferior beings and thus need to be removed from our country or killed.

Side Y: We think this flag is bad.

Reasonable Person:

Uh, the alt-right doesn't care about Catholics, as long as they're white. Steve Bannon is Catholic.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2017, 06:19:15 PM »

Side X: Jews, blacks, Catholics, and immigrants are inferior beings and thus need to be removed from our country or killed.

Reasonable Person:

Uh, the alt-right doesn't care about Catholics, as long as they're white. Steve Bannon is Catholic.

Okay then, remove Catholics from the above statement and the point is still just as valid.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2017, 06:26:53 PM »

Reasonable Person:

It's not like there's a single alt-right manifesto that they all believe in. The KKK and Neo-Nazis sure aren't going to like Catholics, but a lot of other alt-righters might now care. Just like some alt-Righters support Palestine because they're fighting Israel, while others hate Palestinians for being brown.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2017, 07:35:19 PM »

The only people more easily offended by something innocuous than the guy who brought this up are most of the posters in this thread.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2017, 12:53:52 AM »

A guy from Fargo who attended that rally who calls himself a "pro-white activist" was actually outed as a Nazi months ago and interviewed by the local paper, he agreed to it as long as they did it in his "safe space"...a local Catholic Church. Quote “I love St. Mary’s and the Fargo/Moorhead Catholic Diocese. It was the only place I felt safe and spiritually secure discussing Pro-white issues with the press.”: http://www.meanread.com/2017/02/04/fargo-catholic-church-is-safe-space-for-pro-white-activist

Now the local diocese did issue a statement condemning this and saying it doesn't endorse his views, which of course I buy (even in Fargo a Catholic church is bound to be not insignificantly non-white in membership), but it's pretty clear this guy doesn't want Catholics out of the country, and neither does the alt-right either. Most neo-Nazis don't care either, seeing as how their movement was founded in Bavaria, and the KKK is not alt-right, but a defunct organization that reached its peak in the 1920s, went bankrupt during the Roosevelt administration, and now has a few small groups of racist LARPing them today. The KKK is not a real organization in the current year, and it hasn't been for seven decades now. But the alt-right is only concerned with race and ethnicity, not religion.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2017, 03:23:49 AM »

Guys. Guys! Did anyone actually READ the article? It appears to be a tweet from ONE DUDE! Apparently not even someone notable. Just "some dude".

This article is the definition of slow news day.

Can we finally stow the false comparisons?
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2017, 09:30:09 AM »

STOP IT WITH THIS "BOTH SIDES" CRAP. I didn't see the "ess-jay-double-yous" killing and injuring innocent people in Charlottesville.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2017, 09:41:42 AM »

Guys. Guys! Did anyone actually READ the article? It appears to be a tweet from ONE DUDE! Apparently not even someone notable. Just "some dude".

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2017, 12:09:39 PM »

Reasonable Person:

Side X: Riot on the streets, burn down town; white people can't eat ethnic food; don't say 'radical Islamic terrorism', "demographics is destiny"

Side Y: Elect maniac president, ignore facts or truth; hold fascist rallies, drive car into crowds; Islam should be banned, immigrants are the devil

I see no difference. Both are focused on identity and both are absurd.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2017, 12:17:10 PM »

Reasonable Person:

Side X: Riot on the streets, burn down town; white people can't eat ethnic food; don't say 'radical Islamic terrorism', "demographics is destiny"

Side Y: Elect maniac president, ignore facts or truth; hold fascist rallies, drive car into crowds; Islam should be banned, immigrants are the devil

How can you say this just two days after "Side Y" killed an innocent young woman?

If you think this is a fair comparison, you're just doing the work of the Nazis.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2017, 01:04:53 PM »

A trivial issue. Confederate sympathizers wearing red and white is just a footnote in Maryland's history. Marylanders love their flag, myself included. It's not going anywhere.

The state song should be a more important target. It was written by a literal Confederate, and refers to Lincoln as a "tyrant"and denounces union troops who passed through Baltimore on their way to Washington in 1861, which lead to riots by rebels.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2017, 01:07:18 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2017, 01:12:21 PM by Blue Dog Moderate »

Reasonable Person:

How can you say this just two days after "Side Y" killed an innocent young woman?

If you think this is a fair comparison, you're just doing the work of the Nazis.
You mean Neo-Nazis, correct? The Nazis burned my relatives in gas chambers and conquered Europe, the Neo-Nazis are a bunch of unemployed white guys who think their best quality is the way they were born.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2017, 01:55:36 PM »

I pointed that out earlier. It didn't do any good.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2017, 04:04:19 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2017, 04:17:32 PM by Beet »

Reasonable Person:

Okay- Here is what some people on your side have to say about this "innocent young woman"

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2017, 04:05:13 PM »

Well, it should be replaced, if only because it's ugly as hell.
Right?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2017, 04:07:23 PM »

Are you seriously drawing an equivalency between random anonymous people on Reddit, who may or may not even be real, to the president of the United States and his administration?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2017, 04:08:52 PM »

I like the Maryland flag, too.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2017, 04:19:54 PM »

Are you seriously drawing an equivalency between random anonymous people on Reddit, who may or may not even be real, to the president of the United States and his administration?

Hate is not a partisan issue, it's a part of human nature. Thus, everyone is capable of it. Liberals turning hate into a vehicle to bash a major US political party has been part of the problem, exacerbating the GOP's worst tendencies. There have always been plenty of non-hateful Republicans, but they are more and more besieged, feeling they can't choose between their party allegiance and their opposition to bigotry.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2017, 05:43:15 PM »

Hate is not a partisan issue, it's a part of human nature. Thus, everyone is capable of it. Liberals turning hate into a vehicle to bash a major US political party has been part of the problem, exacerbating the GOP's worst tendencies. There have always been plenty of non-hateful Republicans, but they are more and more besieged, feeling they can't choose between their party allegiance and their opposition to bigotry.

That's on them, not on anyone else. I was more fine with that excuse when it was just for why Trump was leading the primary in Summer of 15, but after they nominated him, stuck with him in the general after all that happened, and most of them still sticking with him today, I'm not going to blame other people for their choices. If someone bases their vote for president on being mad at "libtards" on the internet they need to realize that there are actually real consequences to elections and that it's not reality TV.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2017, 10:14:49 PM »

A flag should be simple and easy to draw, in my opinion.
AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2017, 10:36:48 PM »

Sigh... wish I could say I was surprised, but I'm not really.  It's too bad this "story" actually spawned a multiple page thread, but then again, I'm posting here too, so I guess I'm contributing to the problem? Smiley

Anyways, I rather like the MD flag.  I used to think it was a little "busy," but it's really grown on me over the years.  I like the heraldic style.  It's something different, as opposed to just the typical "state seal on blue background" thing.  But it's also not as.. tacky, shall we say, as some of the other states that break with that tradition.  I'm thinking of Western states in particular, some of which have these really chintzy flags that don't look as dignified or traditional as I think a state flag should look, but rather like the company logo of the local hardware supply store or something like that.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2017, 11:00:30 PM »

Reasonable Person:

Don't feed the troll.  Beet may be a more articulate troll than the average bear, but he'a a troll all the same.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2017, 11:07:18 PM »

I still don't get why people think I'm a troll. I may have made some posts in the past that were expressions of my anxieties, some of which turned out to be justified, but most of my viewpoints are quite real. I may perhaps just need to forget about politics, as it's not good for my personal mental health.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2017, 11:13:38 PM »

I still don't get why people think I'm a troll. I may have made some posts in the past that were expressions of my anxieties, some of which turned out to be justified, but most of my viewpoints are quite real. I may perhaps just need to forget about politics, as it's not good for my personal mental health.

The time where you flip-flopped into being a pro-Trump Republican for about 1-2 weeks springs to mind.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies