If your state lost a district, who would you want combined?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:32:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  If your state lost a district, who would you want combined?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: If your state lost a district, who would you want combined?  (Read 1700 times)
Plate
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 13, 2017, 08:40:43 PM »

If Michigan lost a congressional district, I'd probably like to see Conyers vs. Dingell, we all know who would win there!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 08:46:27 PM »

Stinky Pete and Kenny Marchant
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 09:05:19 PM »

Uhhhhh....
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 09:55:06 PM »

Jim Cooper's district folded into all the surrounding Republican ones
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 09:59:54 PM »

If FL lost a congressional district (not happening anytime in the near future, tho, considering FL's current population explosion lol), I'd wanna see Wasserman Schultz (FL-23) vs. Wilson (FL-24).

As a constituent of hers, I strongly dislike DWS, but I love Frederica Wilson, & I'd love to have her as my Congresswoman.

Plus, I'd really like to believe Wilson would win that primary!
Plate
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 10:04:00 PM »

Another pretty good combination would be Trott vs Dingell or Walberg vs Dingell. I don't like people who ignore their constituents or people who joke about domestic violence. No joke here (really no joke) I hope Conyers croaks before the 2020 redistricting so we can see one of those combinations
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 10:15:49 PM »

Nancy Pelosi really needs to go, so her district.
Plate
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 10:46:21 PM »

Nah, she'd probably run for Senate after that where she can be even more dangerous.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 11:16:19 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2017, 04:16:27 PM by Singletxguyforfun »

Really no options here. Although for Mass and CT I guess I'd like to see clarks MA-5 go, it's kinda ridiculous to stretch southborough to Winthrop anyway. Plus i really dont like her
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 11:49:39 PM »

If it were possible, I'd love to see McCarthy and Nunes combined. That'd have to be a very aggressive gerrymander though. Along with Far Northern California, it's the most Republican area of California. Trump won McCarthy's district by 22% and Nunes' by 9-10%. It'd have to be a very creative gerrymander, but I do think it could be done.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 08:35:01 AM »

If Michigan lost a congressional district, I'd probably like to see Conyers vs. Dingell, we all know who would win there!

How would that even work?   A Washtenaw to Detroit district?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 08:41:54 AM »

You can't really eliminate a district from the edge of a state. If you eliminated a Philadelphia district you would either have a two Philadelphia districts, or one district, and most of two others. You can't get rid of a Buffalo or a Suffolk district, though they might have to expand.

If the goal is least change, one can determine how to transfer the population away from a removed district to the remaining districts. This will be near to the center of loss, and other districts will expand towards there.
Plate
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 08:46:01 AM »

You can't really eliminate a district from the edge of a state. If you eliminated a Philadelphia district you would either have a two Philadelphia districts, or one district, and most of two others. You can't get rid of a Buffalo or a Suffolk district, though they might have to expand.

If the goal is least change, one can determine how to transfer the population away from a removed district to the remaining districts. This will be near to the center of loss, and other districts will expand towards there.
The goal I have in mind is to get that crazy man out of office. But Levin vs Lawrence is probably the most likely

Uuuummmmm, Dearborn to Highland Park. Where did Washtenaw come from?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 10:44:38 AM »

The goal I have in mind is to get that crazy man out of office. But Levin vs Lawrence is probably the most likely

Oh,  you mean just putting where the Reps actually live in one district?
Plate
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 10:53:18 AM »

Oh,  you mean just putting where the Reps actually live in one district?
Yea
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 01:14:35 PM »

Either combine Reichert's district with the 9th or combine the two Eastern Washington districts.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 01:16:55 PM »

Pennsylvania can cut 10,11, 17 into 2 districts.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 08:27:57 PM »

It will never happen, since the bulk of the population loss is upstate, but seeing Carolyn Maloney and Jerrold Nadler put in the same Manhattan-only district would be ideal.  That could possibly open up a South Brooklyn/Queens district that could elect a Republican.  It would also be good to see Manhattan down to being represented by the 3 Congressmen its numbers deserve, instead of 4.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 08:52:39 PM »

Put South Boston and Lynch into Capuano's district.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 09:34:35 PM »

I think Southie is fine in that South Shore district. I grew up there and all our parents were from Southie and Dorchester, so Lynch is a great fit for the area
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 10:11:19 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2017, 10:13:01 PM by Del Tachi »

Jim Cooper's district folded into all the surrounding Republican ones

Honestly I'm surprised TN Republicans haven't already done this.  I've played with this a few times on DRA and made TN a 10-1 split with only a necessary VRA district based in Memphis and none of the other districts having that terrible of a shape.

If Mississippi went down to 3 districts (which is a probability in 2030 or 2040), it would mean the elimination of a Republican district because I'm pretty sure the VRA (if still intact by them) would protect the majority-Black district based in the Delta.

Hypothetically, I would like for the Delta district to expand to take in DeSoto, Oxford, and SE Miss, expand the current 1st District to pickup all of GTR/Black Belt + down to Neshoba/Meridian, and the 4th to somehow take in most of Rankin County - so essentially the current third is carved up in a way to create what would be today a Palazzo vs. Harper match-up.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 10:20:03 PM »

NJ-7 and NJ-11
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 05:11:12 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2017, 05:12:45 PM by Brittain33 »

I think Southie is fine in that South Shore district. I grew up there and all our parents were from Southie and Dorchester, so Lynch is a great fit for the area

Oh, I agree, but I read this thread as inviting posters to be jerks toward Congressmen, so that's what I'm doing.

If I were answering seriously, I'd say that Kennedy's district should be divided up among Clark, McGovern, Lynch, and Keating, with Kennedy put in Clark's district.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 09:39:21 AM »

The MD legislature would probably either combine MD-02 with MD-01, making it either a tossup or leans R districts, or combine MD-06 with MD-08, which would be a safe D district.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 10:38:09 AM »

Nah, she'd probably run for Senate after that where she can be even more dangerous.

She's almost 80. She's not running for senate.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies