Protestors Topple Confederate Monument in North Carolina
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:12:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Protestors Topple Confederate Monument in North Carolina
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: Protestors Topple Confederate Monument in North Carolina  (Read 10303 times)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2017, 10:27:05 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Not surprising something like this would boil over in North Carolina https://www.mediaite.com/online/watch-protestors-topple-confederate-monument-in-north-carolina/
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 11:13:41 PM »

Good to see! Hopefully more will fall.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 11:39:01 PM »

"But that statue has such great historical significance and meaning to the local population!"

...said absolutely no one when this happened:

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 11:41:59 PM »

FFs!
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 01:16:13 AM »

Not surprising something like this would boil over in North Carolina

There are many such monuments in most of the southern states, not just in Virginia.
I can see this continuing to happen, quite often actually, in the next few months.
The recent tragic events due to white nationalists, the KKK and Nazis are probably going to accelerate their removal.
And as you can see here, the People are not waiting for their local governments to do the job; the People of this nation are not afraid to step-up and do it themselves.
I'm happy to say that the vile Nazis, and their new Fuhrer trump, are big losers here.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 08:28:24 AM »

Ahhhhhhhhh, so vandalism and destruction of property is ok when it's lefties doing it? 
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 08:30:44 AM »

Down with the traitor up with the Stars!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhCheCryopA

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 08:32:57 AM »

Ahhhhhhhhh, so vandalism and destruction of property is ok when it's lefties doing it? 

Thats always been the argument.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 08:39:34 AM »

The City of New Orleans is removing those monuments, the mayor of Lexington says he's having them removed......just a couple of examples.......I don't have a problem since they want it done legally.

Toppling them - criminal act, period.
AppleJackass
The_Chauvinist
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 08:57:25 AM »

I hope they put them in museums and not destroy them
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 08:57:38 AM »

Yep. Black Lives Matter can protest and riot and set fire to stuff but Obama invites them to the White House. Imagine if Trump invited the KKK or these crazy nationalists to the White House. The libs would melt down. They're hypocrites.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 09:00:46 AM »

Lock them all up for at least a little while. Every last one of them.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 09:16:34 AM »

Good, hope it is melted down and made into a statue commemorating the survivors of Slavery.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 09:19:52 AM »

Vandalism is unacceptable.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 09:22:20 AM »

Yep. Black Lives Matter can protest and riot and set fire to stuff but Obama invites them to the White House. Imagine if Trump invited the KKK or these crazy nationalists to the White House. The libs would melt down. They're hypocrites.
Fake news.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 09:26:24 AM »

MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 09:45:01 AM »

Lol. Well that was a stupid thing to do! Smh.

I hope they put them in museums and not destroy them

This is exactly what was done a few months ago here in St. Louis. The city had a debate about whether to tear down a statue in Forest Park dedicated to some Confederate soldier, after the monument had been spray painted by people who were expressing their displeasure with the statue's existence. The new Mayor was in favor of removal, and I think if no one else had come along with any other suggestion about what to do with the statue, the city would have torn it down and had it destroyed. But a local Civil War museum offered to take the statue instead, and that was what was done.

Good to see! Hopefully more will fall.

I agree. I have no respect for Confederate Monuments.

”But that statue has such great historical significance and meaning to the local population!”

…said absolutely no one when this happened:

This is very similar to an argument I often used this year when debating the Confederate statue in Forest Park. I said that to me, it's just as logical for us to remove a Confederate statue as it was for Russians to tear down monuments to Lenin and Stalin.

Ahhhhhhhhh, so vandalism and destruction of property is ok when it’s lefties doing it?

IF it's legally true that the people who tear down the statues can be charged with that, and if the property owners do want to press charges, I hope the "guilty" parties plead guilty, and that the courts impose lenient, minimum sentences. (I also hope there's no crime in doing something stupid like kicking and spitting on a statue after you've torn it down.)

There are many such monuments in most of the southern states, not just in Virginia.
I can see this continuing to happen, quote often actually, in the next few months.
The recent tragic events due to white nationaists, the KKK and Nazis are probably going to accelerate their removal.
And as you can see here, the People are not waiting for their local governments to do the job; the People of this nation are not afraid to step up and do the job themselves.
I’m happy to say that the vile Nazis, and their new Fuhrer Trump, are big losers here.

I mostly agree, but I'd be even happier if government officials, who represent "the People," do it, that would be even better. And anyone who breaks laws in order to make their point about their contempt for Confederate statues should accept their punishment. Think about Rev. King's "Letter from Birmingham jail."
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 09:56:43 AM »

I'm about as anti-CSA as they come, but I think there is a difference between flying the Confederate flag (completely against this) and having a statue of a person who happened to be in a Confederate state (Robert E. Lee).  Robert E. Lee was an American general long before the Civil War, and a statue of him in his home state is no great offense.  With that said, I will agree with Grumps: if states and cities want to remove these statues and monuments, I will cheer that decision as an act of patriotism and putting behind us one of the darkest hours in the South's history, but vandalism is extreme.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 09:56:53 AM »

"But that statue has such great historical significance and meaning to the local population!"

Americans cheer for this but the minute anything celebrating our racist past is torn down we all go into a craze.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 10:00:58 AM »

Americans cheer for this but the minute anything celebrating our racist past is torn down we all go into a craze.

Lol. No. Speak for yourself.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 10:30:11 AM »

Do they not realize that most slaveholders did not fight in the war? They stayed at home and watched young southern men die in droves. You may not believe this, I think I mentioned it once before, but my ancestors stemming from my dad's mom (who was an orphan from Atlanta) had ancestors who fought for the Confederacy. None of them owned a single slave. In fact, most of them struggled to get by. They were railroad workers, postmen, or store clerks.

Just something to think about.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 10:30:20 AM »

Durham (or Durham County) would have taken down the statue by now if the state legislature, which is highly gerrymandered to a Republican supermajority, hadn't passed a law making it impossible for local governments to remove confederate monuments without approval from a state historical commission.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 10:53:31 AM »

Do they not realize that most slaveholders did not fight in the war? They stayed at home and watched young southern men die in droves. You may not believe this, I think I mentioned it once before, but my ancestors stemming from my dad's mom (who was an orphan from Atlanta) had ancestors who fought for the Confederacy. None of them owned a single slave. In fact, most of them struggled to get by. They were railroad workers, postmen, or store clerks.

Just something to think about.

True, which makes Lost Cause apologia even worse. Defending the homeland from a literal invasion is one thing, but it was those same slaveholders who led the "Redemption" and the rewriting of history around the war they instigated and then were too cowardly to fight in, letting the "crackers" die and bleed for them

(Cracker, like the term "white trash," originated with the Southern upper class)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 10:55:10 AM »

Durham (or Durham County) would have taken down the statue by now if the state legislature, which is highly gerrymandered to a Republican supermajority, hadn't passed a law making it impossible for local governments to remove confederate monuments without approval from a state historical commission.

But what is your position on how this monument came down?
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2017, 11:08:57 AM »

I love how we have so much more unequivocal condemnation of vandalism than we do of neo-nazis killing and assaulting people. Great priorities.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies