Will Trump recover from Charlottesville?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:37:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Trump recover from Charlottesville?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Will he recover?
Yes, just like always

Nope. Game over.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 83

Author Topic: Will Trump recover from Charlottesville?  (Read 2955 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 11:22:53 AM »

The people who got most worked up over his response weren't ever going to support him anyway. This doesn't move the dial long-term.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2017, 11:28:57 AM »

The people who got most worked up over his response weren't ever going to support him anyway. This doesn't move the dial long-term.

True, but not everyone who disliked Trump's response was a liberal (I mean clearly, otherwise his approval rating wouldn't have dropped).
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2017, 12:20:20 PM »

He's already starting to, though as pointed out before, he may have reached a new low plateau. The next crisis could cut into a bit more, or he could start to inch up again. I predict the former.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2017, 04:35:06 PM »

Can Trump bounce back from this scandal, or is he finished?

I think from today's (Tuesday's) Q and A session with trump practically praising white nationalism/supremacy ... you have your answer.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 04:38:03 PM »

Can Trump bounce back from this scandal, or is he finished?

I think from today's (Tuesday's) Q and A session with trump practically praising white nationalism/supremacy ... you have your answer.

I'll always bet on Trump recovering.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 05:28:25 PM »

In a sane world, no.

In our world, yes.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2017, 05:30:37 PM »

I'm conflicted. I don't know if Charlottesville will have much effect. My best guess is that it'll drop at about the same rate as it already was.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2017, 05:50:33 PM »

I don't think this is the final nail in the coffin, it's the first nail in the coffin.

Things will only get worse for him from here on out.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2017, 06:01:26 PM »

I don't think this is the final nail in the coffin, it's the first nail in the coffin.

Things will only get worse for him from here on out.

Yeah. This is more an "end of the beginning". The pretense that Trump could rise above his history, and be anything but a reality-tv President is done now. It's the final nail in his honeymoon, not his presidency. More and more people, including himself, are giving up on pretending he could do the job.

But it's not the "beginning of the end". That will only happen when his support utterly collapses and whatever process finally forces him out gets rolling. When articles of impeachment go to the floor, when the Cabinet removes him, the generals launch a coup, or he gets defeated for the GOP nomination.

Whatever happens, I don't think he'll go quietly, though. I forsee a police cordon around Mar A Lago or the White House before he gets perp walked.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2017, 07:18:57 PM »

Prior to his comments today I didn't think it would be an overly huge deal, but these are the worst comments I can remember any modern US president making. Pretty much blatant apologism for racists and there's really no debate about that. One the post Monday numbers start coming in hopefully he tumbles to 30 percent, if people have any senses.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2017, 12:15:27 AM »

Of course he will.  His supporters likely couldn't care less if the media especially thinks his first statement was inadequate.

My first gut reaction (as I was busy working and didn't see much news) was the statement condemn "hate on all sides, let's come together, unite, ect". I thought, "Good."

The next day I see Huff Post criticized first statement. I wasn't sure why. I thought he said something extra I missed. I then realized it was just libs being libs.

Have you both missed the vast number of Republicans who have broke with him on this subject? Your thumb sucking response about "the Liberals the Liberals the Liberals the Liberals!" Is not an alternative opinion in this case, but rather two plus two equals five factually incorrect. You simply can't rely on it just being liberals angry.

Unless you're willing to concede that over 60% of the country is liberal. Wink
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2017, 12:20:43 AM »
« Edited: August 16, 2017, 12:22:59 AM by Badger »

Uh, you need a third option: "he'll briefly stabilize, but I'm willing to bet he'll never ever be in positive territory every again."

Closer to my answer. He could always bounce back to 40% by the end of the month, but I think this solidified his 'Strong Disapproval' numbers above 50%

This. Trump will always have his hardcore cultists who support anything and everything he does as long as it makes "the liberals" ( like Justin Amash, Barbara Comstock, Pat tiberi, John Kasich what's her name Ros-Illthean, Mitt Romney-- you know, the Liberals) all pissed off. And yes, the 24-hour news cycle has turned the American attention span into roughly the same as goldfish when it comes to political events.

But I think even for Trump this is different. He has so tremendously screwed the pooch this time he literally defended a crowd of thousands of Neo-Nazi protesters. He literally defended a March of Neo Nazi sympathizers!

He's crossed the line in a way the public just can't ignore or forgive. Yes, we are so used to Trump being a complete ass and racist bastard that we will not call for his immediate impeachment as we would any other president no matter how much he deserves it. But this is his Katrina. Or his Iraq War. The public will never fundamentally forgive him for it. Nor should they.

And news flash. It's nowhere near just "the liberals" anymore.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2017, 12:22:58 AM »

I think this might actually be the beginning of the end. Don't quote me on it, but I just get the feeling that this one is going to be hard for him to escape.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2017, 12:27:02 AM »

Wrong. This is so so far over the line that many non liberals who would at least consider supporting him, or did in 2016, just can't forgive him for this.

Again, it ain't just the Liberals folks. Not anymore
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2017, 12:29:51 AM »

But I think even for Trump this is different. He has so tremendously screwed the pooch this time he literally defended a crowd of thousands of Neo-Nazi protesters. He literally defended a March of Neo Nazi sympathizers!

He said he condemned it. What else do you want?
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2017, 12:30:22 AM »

I think it's up in the air, but judging from the way the winds seem to be blowing now, the effect of this is going to be far more pronounced among elected Republicans than it will be among the general populace. And that is a very, very important distinction to make.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2017, 12:41:12 AM »

Unfortunately, I think Reaganfan is much more in line with the average GOP voter than Badger is. A lot of GOP voters will be going "but he did criticize the white supremacists", "Trump is no racist", "both sides should be critizised", "why are the liberals so enraged about choice of words and political correctness", etc.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2017, 02:15:30 AM »

Unfortunately, I think Reaganfan is much more in line with the average GOP voter than Badger is. A lot of GOP voters will be going "but he did criticize the white supremacists", "Trump is no racist", "both sides should be critizised", "why are the liberals so enraged about choice of words and political correctness", etc.

Sadly true, including probably most Republican voters being more in line with naso than me, at least for the moment. But "most Republicans" isn't enough for him to survive.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2017, 02:22:51 AM »

He said he condemned it. What else do you want?

No he didn't genius. He first put the counter-protesters who opposed white supremacy in anti-Semitism on the same level as the white supremacists and anti-semites because a handful of each crowd resorted to Illegal violence, ignoring the fact that one in the ladder crowd resorted to full-blown homicide it was still just as bad on both sides.

Today he literally jumped the shark. Did you watch that video? Did you? He defended and dear God Almighty even praised the white supremacists marching who were chanting Jews will not take us over as including very fine people. He wrote it off as people marching against a removal of a statue of Robert E Lee. Watching two minutes of that Neo-Nazi parade showed that was an event that brought together a white nationalist parade.

In the f****** president of the United States of America defended them. And dozens of Republicans said no. Not liberals as you are fond of whining about. Republicans! Conservatives! Check Mitt Romney's tweet just as one of many examples.

I want him to stop being president because he is a grotesque human being and a miserable excuse for a president. And no matter how much you cry about the Liberals, today proved his failures have nothing to do with pissed off liberals.

Now given that you are one step away from joining those Neo-Nazi Marchers in Charlottesville, I fully anticipate you will disagree.

That, and you're dumb
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2017, 02:23:34 AM »

Intel CEO exits President Trump's manufacturing council
https://www.axios.com/intel-ceo-exits-president-trumps-manufacturing-council-2473054692.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

America's big business community was willing to give Trump a chance. He's well on his blowing it by being someone they don't want to associate with, and who can't deliver anyway.

Why the hell is Trumka still there!?

Trumka quit today.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2017, 07:05:17 AM »

I would love to believe this is the beginning of the end, but history shows he always recovers from things like this with his 40% base as long as it doesn't actively endanger Republican policy goals.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2017, 07:44:52 AM »

Someone should organize a boycott of the companies of the remaining CEOs
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2017, 08:16:52 AM »

That 40% base doesn't care what he does as long as he "makes libs cry", don't care what else he does.
Wakie77
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2017, 08:19:41 AM »

Someone should organize a boycott of the companies of the remaining CEOs

It would be extremely difficult to boycott 3M AND International Paper.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2017, 02:01:30 PM »

He might have been able to recover from Charlottesville, but it's damn difficult to see how he recovers from yesterday's press conference. After all, he basically said there were some good white supremacists, and he wasn't using the tone of voice he used to say there were some good Mexicans. He really meant it. That said, unless something else happens we're likely stuck with him in the White House until the next election. But we may actually see the Democrats take back both houses of Congress in 2018, something I didn't think possible even a month ago because of how gerrymandered the House is and how few Republican seats are up for election in the Senate for 2018.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies