Will Trump recover from Charlottesville?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:52:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Trump recover from Charlottesville?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Will he recover?
Yes, just like always

Nope. Game over.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 83

Author Topic: Will Trump recover from Charlottesville?  (Read 2946 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2017, 11:24:59 PM »

Can Trump bounce back from this scandal, or is he finished?
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 11:30:31 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2017, 11:32:34 PM by Interlocutor »

Uh, you need a third option: "he'll briefly stabilize, but I'm willing to bet he'll never ever be in positive territory every again."

Closer to my answer. He could always bounce back to 40% by the end of the month, but I think this solidified his 'Strong Disapproval' numbers above 50%
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 11:38:52 PM »

Yes. It is irrelevant in the long run.

His ratings will tumble when he can't do anything, no legislative major successes, no economic relief tot he people. In 2 years, his ratings will tumble. People who voted for him will give 2-3 years before turning on him.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 12:15:33 AM »

If you mean get his approval ratings back over 40%, that is definitely possible.  The country is so polarized that I am not sure he can drop much lower no matter how much he messes up.  But get them over 50%, that will be tough to do short of starting a war somewhere and even that might not be enough.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 12:16:42 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2017, 12:18:20 AM by Ghost of Ruin »

Uh, you need a third option: "he'll briefly stabilize, but I'm willing to bet he'll never ever be in positive territory every again."

Closer to my answer. He could always bounce back to 40% by the end of the month, but I think this solidified his 'Strong Disapproval' numbers above 50%

I think that's the direction his approval will go.

Remember, Trump is a con artist. He's also followed a pattern throughout his life that can briefly be summed up as: overpromise, bamboozle and overextend, collapse and flee, then start overpromising again.  Trump's "success" has always depended on having fresh suckers. And it's mostly worked. The world is a big place, he's good at making himself look successful (at least to those most vulnerable to his scams - doing a bad/tawdry job of making himself look successful is good for weeding out people who wouldn't ever buy his pitch) and there have always been new markets for his BS.

But now he's -at least on paper- the Leader of the Free World. There are no more new suckers who haven't already been exposed and either bought in or rejected him. He has to deliver or fall. And he can't deliver. So the only real question is what the fall looks like.

Charlottesville is a symptom of his inevitable collapse, not a root cause - the root cause is Trump being Trump
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 12:16:59 AM »

BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 12:54:50 AM »

Yes, he will.

Trump is so lucky that the Obama recovery continues at a steady pace. If the economy was weak he could potentially be in the 20's now.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 01:21:14 AM »

No.
Only because this is just another example of stupid sh*t he does and says.
The madness of his mental instability will not stop .... I promise you, it will not end.
So because of that, I don't see the Orange-Haired Clown "recovering." (It's all down hill from here.)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 01:43:30 AM »

I concur with this. 

No.
The madness of his mental instability will not stop .... I promise you, it will not end.
So because of that, I don't see the Orange-Haired Clown "recovering." (It's all down hill from here.)

...and this explanation.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 06:05:39 AM »

No.
Oh, I agree with that. I just think that this particular incident will be more or less forgotten while we move on the next in line of neverending Trump stupidities.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 06:42:46 AM »

It has the potential of permanently changing the perception about Donald Trump as a person, at least for those who were sitting on the fence (e.g. people who originally voted for him as the "lesser of two evils" and have now become increasingly disappointed).

The perception the Charlottsville incident has potentially created is that Donald Trump doesn't really give a f**k about anything but himself. He didn't really care that this women died. What he cared about was not alienating neo-Nazis who may have voted for him in November. What he also cared about in his speeches on Saturday as well as yesterday was that the economy is strong and that he's entitled to be praised for it. "Screw that dead women, it's all about me" was the message he sended.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 06:46:59 AM »

It has the potential of permanently changing the perception about Donald Trump as a person, at least for those who were sitting on the fence (e.g. people who originally voted for him as the "lesser of two evils" and have now become increasingly disappointed).

The perception the Charlottsville incident has potentially created is that Donald Trump doesn't really give a f**k about anything but himself. He didn't really care that this women died. What he cared about was not alienating neo-Nazis who may have voted for him in November. What he also cared about in his speeches on Saturday as well as yesterday was that the economy is strong and that he's entitled to be praised for it. "Screw that dead women, it's all about me" was the message he sended.

Like Katrina was to Bush, right?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 06:49:48 AM »

I think the problem for anti-Trumpers is the fact that all the the people who hate Trump more and more, probably never voted for him in the first place.

Think about it, if you were that upset about the muslim ban or the transgendered ban, the odds that you ever voted for him in the first place are very very slim.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 06:53:26 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2017, 06:55:38 AM by Tekken_Guy »

I think the problem for anti-Trumpers is the fact that all the the people who hate Trump more and more, probably never voted for him in the first place.

Think about it, if you were that upset about the muslim ban or the transgendered ban, the odds that you ever voted for him in the first place are very very slim.

Honestly, several GOP senators called him out for it. Even ultra conservatives like Scott and Hatch. It suggests that he's getting a lot of flack from his own wing.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 06:56:39 AM »

Honestly, several GOP senators called him out for it. Even ultra conservatives like Scott and Hatch. It suggests that he's getting a lot of flack from his own wing.

Yep, I actually know Trump voters who abandoned Trump after the trans ban in the military.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 06:57:21 AM »

Oh some, for sure. But the exaggeration among the left is once again an over-reaction.

I admire the President for condemning racism from all sides. But I do find it ironic that when a muslim shoots up a nightclub not a single word from liberals about muslims. But the second one racist lunatic white guy kills a person we are supposed to have a national discussion. Such a double standard.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 07:02:28 AM »

I don't think he's at fault here. James Fields was the one who got him into this mess. Trump could have easily swept the event under the rug had nobody died.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 07:13:21 AM »

Yes, he'll bounce back. We saw this during the campaign with events like the Khans. The support he's lost comes from Republicans, and after a week of this being out of the news they will rally around him once again and push him back into the upper 30s. The only thing that will shake their support is failure on legislative priorities like a tax cut, much as his failure on health care repeal set him back, or a real major crisis that he is unable to handle. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 08:09:53 AM »

Of course he will.  His supporters likely couldn't care less if the media especially thinks his first statement was inadequate.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 08:25:03 AM »

Of course he will.  His supporters likely couldn't care less if the media especially thinks his first statement was inadequate.

My first gut reaction (as I was busy working and didn't see much news) was the statement condemn "hate on all sides, let's come together, unite, ect". I thought, "Good."

The next day I see Huff Post criticized first statement. I wasn't sure why. I thought he said something extra I missed. I then realized it was just libs being libs.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 08:26:09 AM »

From Charlotsvilla? Most likely? Overall? Not that much.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 10:17:09 AM »

Overall Trump's general trend is downward but it is not like this one event will be the final nail in the coffin.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 11:07:51 AM »

My first gut reaction (as I was busy working and didn't see much news) was the statement condemn "hate on all sides, let's come together, unite, ect". I thought, "Good."

The next day I see Huff Post criticized first statement. I wasn't sure why. I thought he said something extra I missed. I then realized it was just libs being libs.

The white supremacists literally went public about how Trump didn't denounce them...

It was probably the weakest response from a sitting president ever towards a hate group.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 11:20:24 AM »

Intel CEO exits President Trump's manufacturing council
https://www.axios.com/intel-ceo-exits-president-trumps-manufacturing-council-2473054692.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

America's big business community was willing to give Trump a chance. He's well on his blowing it by being someone they don't want to associate with, and who can't deliver anyway.

HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2017, 11:22:10 AM »

Oh some, for sure. But the exaggeration among the left is once again an over-reaction.

I admire the President for condemning racism from all sides. But I do find it ironic that when a muslim shoots up a nightclub not a single word from liberals about muslims. But the second one racist lunatic white guy kills a person we are supposed to have a national discussion. Such a double standard.

If you're going to say this is a double standard, then it would be just as much of one for conservatives to demand Obama say "Islamic terrorism" but then mostly be fine with Trump's initial statements.

Not to mention that the reason Obama was reluctant to call out Islamic Terrorism probably wasn't because he was trying to mobilize the jihadist vote.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies