Describe the following person...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:33:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Describe the following person...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe the following person...  (Read 738 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2017, 06:34:09 AM »

Describe someone who voted in 1992 for the very first time, has always lived in a state that gave its electoral votes to the same party in each election ever since (e.g. Maryland or Alabama), and has always voted for the nationwide EV winner.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 07:42:08 AM »

Describe someone who voted in 1992 for the very first time, has always lived in a state that gave its electoral votes to the same party in each election ever since (e.g. Maryland or Alabama), and has always voted for the nationwide EV winner.

What??
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 09:51:57 AM »

There are 14 states that have voted for the Democrat in the past 7 elections, and 13 states that have voted for the Republican in the past seven elections (assumes that we are not excluding states with faithless electors).

So it could be someone who lived in the Fargo-Moorhead area the entire time, and moved back and forth across the Red River, so that he was in Moorhead in 92, 96, 08, 12, and Fargo in 00, 04, and 16. His friends have taken to calling him Bellwether Bob, and he has become moderately wealthy as partisans try to lure him to their side of the river (e.g. the house in Moorhead that he sold for $250,000 in 2015, when he bought a similar house in Fargo for $100,000, pocketing $150,000 on the exchange).

Or it could be someone born in 1973 who lived in MA for college, graduating in 1995; after graduation he moved to HI (Maui) for a short while but long enough to vote for Clinton in 1996; he then moved to AK (Fairbanks, Ketchikan, and Anchorage) from 1997-2004 where he began to vote Republican; the dark winters finally got to him and he moved to TX (Austin) 2005-2007; but he couldn't take the heat so in 2008 moved to WA (Seattle); but the rain depressed him as much as the winters in Alaska and he moved to CA (San Diego) 2009-2016 where in his mid-30s he met and married a Mormon women; they (he and his wife, and their 4 children) moved to UT (Provo) in the summer of 2016.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 11:16:15 AM »

There are 14 states that have voted for the Democrat in the past 7 elections, and 13 states that have voted for the Republican in the past seven elections (assumes that we are not excluding states with faithless electors).

I wanted to avoid writing "voted" thee times in a row. But if you exclude Maine from the all-Democrat states, you should also exclude Nebraska from the all-Republican states.

What??
What "What??"?
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 11:46:44 AM »

I interpreted this as, for example, an Alabama Clinton/Clinton/Bush/Bush/Obama/Obama/Trump voter, not that they have to constantly move.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 12:04:11 PM »

I interpreted this as, for example, an Alabama Clinton/Clinton/Bush/Bush/Obama/Obama/Trump voter, not that they have to constantly move.

My question was actually intended like you thought; I didn't have transplants in contemplation, as it more interesting to analyze a swing voter in a politically static state.
But I didn't want to savage jimrtex hard work. Smiley
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 12:43:56 PM »

My question was actually intended like you thought; I didn't have transplants in contemplation, as it more interesting to analyze a swing voter in a politically static state.

Using a Deep South state, my answer would be a fairly well off black Evangelical Christian who attends a predominately white church in the suburbs of Birmingham.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 04:30:52 PM »

I thought it was the state, not the voter, who voted for the national EV winner.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 05:12:43 PM »

I thought it was the state, not the voter, who voted for the national EV winner.

No, no. Sorry if I didn't express myself accurately. I meant it the other way round: swing voter and static state.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 05:20:43 PM »

Using a Deep South state, my answer would be a fairly well off black Evangelical Christian who attends a predominately white church in the suburbs of Birmingham.

That would fit - except for 2016. I don't think a black Evangelical Christian would vote for Trump.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 03:48:13 PM »

White, lower middle-class, politically moderate, living in a suburb of Peoria, IL.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies