Megameow's Redistricted USA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:50:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Megameow's Redistricted USA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Megameow's Redistricted USA  (Read 1157 times)
catographer
Megameow
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 06:27:20 PM »

In version where I did that, I had to sacrifice keeping Chester county whole and having Chester's districts grab parts of Reading in Berks.

(For the record, I'm very unhappy with my PA map)
I personally find it quite preferable to sacrifice Chester being whole if it's either that or Bucks is split. However, it's certainly an interesting experiment to split Bucks - precisely because it isn't done very often.

My Bucks' district ended up being very similar in PVI to a whole Bucks anyway, because I traded blue Southern Bucks for blue Allentown.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 06:37:06 PM »

Washington's map is actually quite proportional, with Democrats having a 6-4 advantage IRL that matches the states' lean. I figured Washington didn't need much change then.

Honestly, I personally believe that fair maps should roughly result the partisan proportion of the states delegation being roughly double the states partisan leanings. Of course, if this was the case in every state, it would all result in a balanced national map.

There are studies that show that doubling effect. For example a fair map in a state that's naturally 55% Dem should expect to produce a 60% Dem delegation. However, one has to correct for the impact of VRA districts and national voting behavior. For example a 50-50 state with 10% of its delegation covered by the VRA, would see a substantial Pub swing in the overall delegation in 2016 due to the Dem voters tied to the VRA districts.
[/quote]

Is this based on normally distributed voters?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies