Texas: CD35, CD27 found unconstitutional; "intentional racial discrimination"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:13:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Texas: CD35, CD27 found unconstitutional; "intentional racial discrimination"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Texas: CD35, CD27 found unconstitutional; "intentional racial discrimination"  (Read 4631 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2017, 04:34:57 PM »

The option that makes the most sense to me for TX-35 is to have TX-35 moved entirely within Bexar and then move TX-21 out of Bexar and move it into Travis as much as possible.   

I would think the Legislature is going to do something along those lines.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2017, 06:38:51 PM »

The option that makes the most sense to me for TX-35 is to have TX-35 moved entirely within Bexar and then move TX-21 out of Bexar and move it into Travis as much as possible.   

I would think the Legislature is going to do something along those lines.

Lamar Smith is a committee chairman.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2017, 07:36:43 PM »

Pwned. 5-4!

Losers of elections are going to have a tough time stealing the districts.

Link

BREAKING: #SCOTUS stays Texas redistricting case order, pending appeal to and disposition in the Supreme Court.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2017, 07:37:53 PM »

Pwned. 5-4!

Link

BREAKING: #SCOTUS stays Texas redistricting case order, pending appeal to and disposition in the Supreme Court.
See the partisan racist is happy the racist GOP can continue to use illegal maps.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2017, 07:39:17 PM »

Pwned. 5-4!

Link

illegal maps.

Hahahaha, lol. Says who?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2017, 08:36:20 AM »

Pwned. 5-4!

Link

They just stayed the decision until a final ruling is made,  it doesn't affect much, except that the district won't go into effect right away.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2017, 12:20:43 PM »

Pwned. 5-4!

Link

They just stayed the decision until a final ruling is made,  it doesn't affect much, except that the district won't go into effect right away.

5 votes indicated that Texas is likely to win on the merits.

I tried to tell folks that there would be no redistricting and that thievery would fail.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2017, 06:14:50 PM »

Pwned. 5-4!

Link

I tried to tell folks that there would be no redistricting and that thievery would fail.

Uh, no you didn't.

Great news!

I am going to draw a new map to fortify TX-07 and TX-32 while also preserving the GOP districts.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2017, 05:45:22 AM »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/8/16/1690288/-Court-strikes-down-Texas-GOP-s-congressional-gerrymander-but-Democratic-victory-is-limited

DKos estimates it'll be at most a net 1 for Democrats, but even that's no guaranteed. I really don't get why they emphasize that the new representative will most likely be Latino. No wonder the white working class hates the left: this is blatant identity politics.
Ah yes, the white working class hate that the minorities will have a chance to elect people of their own race.  Very progressive of them.

You don't need a majority minority district to elect a minority candidate. See SC-Sen, UT-4, TX-23 is 75% Hispanic and they have a black representative. People don't necessarily vote based on who looks like them. I mean for next year, I'm a Hispanic college student supporting a black candidate for NH-1

"increasing minority representation" means increasing minorities' ability to choose representatives, not increasing the number of minorities in Congress.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2017, 08:19:10 AM »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/8/16/1690288/-Court-strikes-down-Texas-GOP-s-congressional-gerrymander-but-Democratic-victory-is-limited

DKos estimates it'll be at most a net 1 for Democrats, but even that's no guaranteed. I really don't get why they emphasize that the new representative will most likely be Latino. No wonder the white working class hates the left: this is blatant identity politics.
Ah yes, the white working class hate that the minorities will have a chance to elect people of their own race.  Very progressive of them.

You don't need a majority minority district to elect a minority candidate. See SC-Sen, UT-4, TX-23 is 75% Hispanic and they have a black representative. People don't necessarily vote based on who looks like them. I mean for next year, I'm a Hispanic college student supporting a black candidate for NH-1

"increasing minority representation" means increasing minorities' ability to choose representatives, not increasing the number of minorities in Congress.

This is so annoying when people just equate a minority district to having minority representatives....sheesh!
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2017, 09:13:37 PM »

This is so annoying when people just equate a minority district to having minority representatives....sheesh!

But there's a careful balance to avoid using minorities to elect white Dems to the point that the Congress becomes unrepresentative of minorities. That's why the VRA was passed and upheld by SCOTUS.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2017, 10:56:28 PM »

If the Texas GOP does need to conduct some mid-decade redistricting then it will be a hell of a lot easier now with Poe, Johnson, Smith and Farenthold retiring.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2017, 06:23:04 PM »

If the Texas GOP does need to conduct some mid-decade redistricting then it will be a hell of a lot easier now with Poe, Johnson, Smith and Farenthold retiring.

And Jeb Hensarling. The GOP can easily fortify the districts. In addition, the Democratic party created a grossly unnecessary 29th district in Harris County after the 1990 census. Gene Green is also retiring.

I have posted maps to bust Gene Green and shift that district to the GOP.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2017, 09:53:37 PM »

And Jeb Hensarling. The GOP can easily fortify the districts. In addition, the Democratic party created a grossly unnecessary 29th district in Harris County after the 1990 census. Gene Green is also retiring.

The 29th is a Hispanic VRA district. You can't "bust" it.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2017, 10:58:30 PM »

Prepare to be cucked again.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2017, 12:53:26 PM »

Considering the way the Houston metro is trending, wouldn't dismantling the 29th? Just end up making the surrounding R seats even more vulnerable?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2017, 04:19:03 PM »

Ultimate case of "Justice delayed is justice denied." Fixing districts drawn in 2011 in 2018 when they're due to be redrawn in 2021 is absurd.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2017, 05:09:07 PM »

Ultimate case of "Justice delayed is justice denied." Fixing districts drawn in 2011 in 2018 when they're due to be redrawn in 2021 is absurd.

Is it even possible to fix the map in time for 2018 at this point? I thought they appealed to SCOTUS to get a stay or at least delay long enough to keep the maps for 2018, and I haven't seen anything else on it since.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2017, 06:18:05 PM »

The 29th is a Hispanic VRA district. You can't "bust" it.

Of course we can. The 5th circuit is being reinforced with fresh blood, and Neil Gorsuch stands ready to throw the nonsense Voting Rights Act into the garbage.

2 quarantines is more than sufficient for Harris County.

There is a surplus of GOP votes in TX-08 and TX-36 to transfer to the new district.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2017, 06:19:09 PM »

Wrong. They already fixed the districts in 2013. Some folks didn't get the idea that they had to actually win the occasional election and decided to keep complaining.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2017, 05:43:35 AM »

Is it even possible to fix the map in time for 2018 at this point? I thought they appealed to SCOTUS to get a stay or at least delay long enough to keep the maps for 2018, and I haven't seen anything else on it since.
The SCOTUS will consider at their January 5th conference whether to take the case.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2018, 03:44:05 PM »

Pwned. 5-4!

Link

The Supreme Court agrees to hear Texas redistricting!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies