Texas: CD35, CD27 found unconstitutional; "intentional racial discrimination" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:35:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Texas: CD35, CD27 found unconstitutional; "intentional racial discrimination" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Texas: CD35, CD27 found unconstitutional; "intentional racial discrimination"  (Read 4669 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« on: August 20, 2017, 09:35:25 AM »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/8/16/1690288/-Court-strikes-down-Texas-GOP-s-congressional-gerrymander-but-Democratic-victory-is-limited

DKos estimates it'll be at most a net 1 for Democrats, but even that's no guaranteed. I really don't get why they emphasize that the new representative will most likely be Latino. No wonder the white working class hates the left: this is blatant identity politics.
Ah yes, the white working class hate that the minorities will have a chance to elect people of their own race.  Very progressive of them.

They never pretend to be a "very progressive". And if "a progressism" means to elect a minority candidates only, at the expense of all others - neither am i, though i have very little in common with WWC people.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 09:43:54 AM »
« Edited: August 20, 2017, 09:56:49 AM by smoltchanov »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/8/16/1690288/-Court-strikes-down-Texas-GOP-s-congressional-gerrymander-but-Democratic-victory-is-limited

DKos estimates it'll be at most a net 1 for Democrats, but even that's no guaranteed. I really don't get why they emphasize that the new representative will most likely be Latino. No wonder the white working class hates the left: this is blatant identity politics.
Ah yes, the white working class hate that the minorities will have a chance to elect people of their own race.  Very progressive of them.

You don't need a majority minority district to elect a minority candidate. See SC-Sen, UT-4, TX-23 is 75% Hispanic and they have a black representative. People don't necessarily vote based on who looks like them. I mean for next year, I'm a Hispanic college student supporting a black candidate for NH-1
Exactly my point. DKos (which I only read for news on elections btw) seems to have this idea that only a majority-minority district can elected a nonwhite congressman. It's not like all white people regardless of ideology won't vote for a nonwhite candidate.
You can point to a few which have in the past decade to try and make your point more palatable, but it doesn't change the crux of it.  But continue on your rants against minority communities having a member which is like them.  It really makes you look so pragmatic and progessive.

Steve Cohen is better representative of Memphis black community then many black candidates would be. And, following your reasoning, why "progressives" are so incensed (look at dKos, for example), when most of whites prefer to vote for one of their own (usually - white Republican), and are in no hurry to embrace present day heavily minority-oriented Democratic party??? They behave very pragmatically and logically (according to you) - vote for one of their own... Of course, time may come when this white vote will become insignificant, but so far - you have Trump exactly because of that reason (these people were fed up with national Democratic party  politics, and demonstrated it in such (may be - foolish) way). Democratic Party became "too minority oriented" and "too politically correct" for many of it's former solid supporters... And not only in Deep South (those left it long ago), but in many other areas. Though the best example i know of is still in the South - small, rural Liberty county in Florida. More then 75% Democratic in registration, all Democratic on local level (so, it's willing to elect Democrats, but - different Democrats...), and - less then 20% for Hillary in 2016 (with 75% for Trump)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies