Will centrists sit out the 2018 general elections?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:59:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will centrists sit out the 2018 general elections?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Will centrists sit out the 2018 general elections?  (Read 869 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2017, 10:57:23 PM »

If the way things are heading, far right vs. far left, will reasonable centrists like me sit out the 2018 elections, or will there have to be a big tent and a better alternative?
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 11:04:55 PM »

I mean, you're not a reasonable centrist.

Now that that's off the table, I don't think they'll sit out, mostly because centrists tend to more politically involved than the average person.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 12:23:46 AM »

Centrists sitting out probably helps Trump, so I hope not.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 12:29:58 AM »

At this point, true centrists should be firmly in the democratic camp. Centrism is more or less dead in the GOP currently, with a select few exceptions in the senate. With a few exceptions I would argue that self-identified centrists voting for the GOP are actually republicans and not centrists.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 08:18:28 AM »

Probably not.  We centrists tend to see both sides and sometimes get criticized for that.  But I think the more you learn about each side, the easier it is to understand their differences as well as their similarities.

Sometimes both sides are bad choices, but that's no reason to sit out.  The difference between "bad" and "worse" is often of more significance than between "good" and "bad".  I didn't like HRC much, but I voted for her because I was certain that Trump would be much worse.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 12:41:23 PM »

I am not a centrist, obviously, but most people are not as extreme as the online feeds and media paint it.

I think the midterms will have a good turnout in Michigan with the replacement of the term-limited, controversial Rick Snyder ensuring a wide-open fight, a Senate seat up for grabs (very unlikely to flip), as well as several US House battles, the first in the post-Trump era. And there's a vote on gerrymandering and recreational marijuana use. If centrists & the populace in general are not interested in showing up to vote then I am not sure what else other than the presidential election will bring them out.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 12:42:11 PM »

No
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 12:42:45 PM »

At this point, true centrists should be firmly in the democratic camp. Centrism is more or less dead in the GOP currently, with a select few exceptions in the senate. With a few exceptions I would argue that self-identified centrists voting for the GOP are actually republicans and not centrists.

I shouldn't have to explain that you can be both on a political forum like this, but whatever.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 01:03:44 PM »

I shouldn't have to explain that you can be both on a political forum like this, but whatever.
If you read the very lines you quoted you would see that I write that "centrism is more or less dead in the GOP". Indeed, if you are a "centrist republican", you should feel very alone these days. Unfortunately. I wish it was different. I wish america had two respectable parties. That is not the case right now.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 01:10:03 PM »

Bronz is about as reasonable as a block of concrete.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 01:26:58 PM »

If you read the very lines you quoted you would see that I write that "centrism is more or less dead in the GOP". Indeed, if you are a "centrist republican", you should feel very alone these days. Unfortunately. I wish it was different. I wish america had two respectable parties. That is not the case right now.

You said "actually Republicans and NOT centrists," implying they can't coexist, though. 
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 01:27:59 PM »

Centrists barely exist outside of Internet forums so who cares.....You have people swinging from Feingold to Johnson, a significant share of people don't even have a strong economic ideology !
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 01:35:59 PM »

You said "actually Republicans and NOT centrists," implying they can't coexist, though. 
I think they mean that the generalized Republican leadership/elected officials are not centrists, and that therefore "Republican centrist" voters (as opposed to their representatives) no longer have a home in the party, and should be voting Democrat if they're actual "centrists"
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 02:11:38 PM »

I think they mean that the generalized Republican leadership/elected officials are not centrists, and that therefore "Republican centrist" voters (as opposed to their representatives) no longer have a home in the party, and should be voting Democrat if they're actual "centrists"

Which, of course, I disagree with.  I know Democrats fancy themselves the "sensible" party, but the GOP going full nutjob does not, in and of itself, make the Democrats' policies or candidates "centrist."
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 02:16:24 PM »

Why? Trump and Hillary arent on the ballot in 2018.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 02:22:24 PM »

Thank you. English is not my native language!
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 02:23:22 PM »

Which, of course, I disagree with.  I know Democrats fancy themselves the "sensible" party, but the GOP going full nutjob does not, in and of itself, make the Democrats' policies or candidates "centrist."
True, but the GOP going full nutjob should at the very least make the democratic platform much more palatable to centrists.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 02:28:51 PM »

Centrists: no. But I'm betting that BOTH SIDES DO IT.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 02:43:22 PM »

You know why people don't like centrists? Because they think they're so much better than everyone else, and it's statements like yours that reinforce that viewpoint.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 03:05:40 PM »

The Donald is doing everything to validate my decision in 2016 to switch from independent to Democrat.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 03:31:13 PM »

The Donald is doing everything to validate my decision in 2016 to switch from independent to Democrat.

Why has Donald Trump negatively impacted the idea of being a registered independent in your eyes?  LOL.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 07:13:29 PM »

Why has Donald Trump negatively impacted the idea of being a registered independent in your eyes?  LOL.

First off, SC doesn't have party registration.

However, to answer your question, the Republicans choosing Trump as their nominee showed me that they had gone so far away from sanity that as a party they were no longer an option since all supporting the few sane Republicans does at this point is empower the insane ones. That left me a Democrat by default, since for all their faults, the Democrats are still mostly sane.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2017, 08:00:55 PM »

Nah. They'll vote for Democrats.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2017, 09:53:51 PM »

I'm a Republican, but it's pretty clear who the centrists' sympathies are currently with, and that's the Democrats.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 09:58:54 PM »

No.  We will vote for Hillary or Kasich.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies