Why should minorities vote Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:10:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why should minorities vote Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why should minorities vote Republican?  (Read 3399 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 16, 2017, 09:14:27 AM »

Give me a reason why minorities should vote Republican.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/346734-ex-rnc-spokesman-i-dont-know-why-minorities-should-vote-republican
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 10:10:06 AM »

Full accelerationism is one reason.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 10:21:10 AM »

So that they can unseat incumbents in the primaries, and elect candidates that will deal with their concerns better than current Republicans do? It's Republican policies and rhetoric that keep minorities away, so (as a member of a minority or two) I would say that we've got few reasons to vote for them.
Although, seeing as I voted for Republican Ileana Ros-Lehtinen in November, she could serve as a lesson on how to bring minorities back into the Republican Party
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 11:07:36 AM »

Sadly, right now, there isn't much reason.  However, in a post-Trump age when Millennials have more influence over the party, there are several:

1. Cultural conservatism ... many minority groups are very receptive to the traditionally culturally conservative GOP platform on things like faith and family.  If phrased right, that could bring a few into the fold.

2. Economic conservatism ... this will make the Dem hacks laugh, but in an environment where the GOP is viewed as equally racially tolerant to the Democratic Party, a few wealthier minorities might consider jumping ship to the GOP.  Additionally, and underratedly, some might start to question if the tired approach of Democratic fiscal policies are really in minority Americans' best interests.  Are they really helping poor minorities?  They're certainly not helping wealthy ones, and with minority Americans (at least Black and Hispanic) lagging behind their fellow White countrymen in socioeconomic categories, maybe they'd be willing to consider a new approach.

3. Political leverage ... as many civil rights leaders argued in the 1940s and 1950s, it might be in minorities' interest to not be solely tied to one political party with such fierce loyalty that they begin to be taken for granted.  Civil rights only made great strides in the 1960s because there were wings of both parties willing to work together to push legislation with actual teeth through.  Minority Americans would undoubtedly benefit from having both major parties feeling like there was something in it electorally to cater to their needs and interests, as callous as that sounds.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 01:00:34 PM »

If Black voters cease to be a captured demographic then more representative will be more willing to advance their issues. That's the only good reason I can think of. The GOP are actively hostile to most minority groups.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 04:01:47 PM »

I don't believe that if African American become a swing group that our need would be met. Hispanics have been a swing group for 1/2 century what exactly has it got them. While African Americans and Hispanics are socially conservative there are not much instances in the Western World where a politically right leaning party wins a substantial vote of minorities.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 04:13:13 PM »

Lots of reasons.

- Democratic-controlled inner city public school districts are failing black kids.
- The breakdown of the nuclear family structure due to promiscuity, divorce, is failing black kids. Black women just want their men to stay and be full fathers, which would be better achieved with social conservatism.
- 50 years of affirmative action hasn't helped blacks.
- The success of Nigerian immigrants shows you can be black and do well with hard work.
- Fight the soft bigotry of low expectations.
- Black voters tend to prefer establishment neoliberal candidates, and the Democrats are about to be taken over by Bernie Bros.
- Poor black voters tend to be more socially conservative on LGBT and religion issues compared to college educated whites.
- Omarosa, Diamond & Silk, Sheriff Clarke, Azealia Banks, etc. plenty of new role models.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 06:56:22 PM »

- Omarosa, Diamond & Silk, Sheriff Clarke, Azealia Banks, etc. plenty of new role models.

If you think a one hit wonder flash in the pan who sacrifices chickens in her closet and is only still relevant because of Twitter beefs and acting like a spoiled b*tch in public is a good role model, I don't know what to tell you.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 07:07:08 PM »

Nobody should vote Republican.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 08:18:50 PM »

"Now, kids, if you work really hard, you can grow up to systematically abuse detainees and be investigated for federal civil rights offenses too!"
AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 03:08:37 AM »

Well, I mean, you could ask the converse: "Give me a reason why whites should vote D."

Point being, the fact that these questions are even being asked, is troubling.  I think it's something of a sorry state of affairs that partisan identification has become so tied to race.  That although there are poorer whites that probably would benefit more from Dem policies, and perhaps richer minorities that may benefit more from GOP policies, and yet polarization in the parties by racial stratification seems to be only increasing... is rather worrisome.

Yet another reason why I see the future of US politics as only increased polarization, not less, and increasingly based on race.  I think a completely plausible scenario is we end up with a South African type political system where there is the "white" party and the "minorities" party (if we aren't there already).  I have a long-term electoral map for this possible trend here.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 06:20:59 AM »

As part of the 1% of this forum that isn't white, I can tell you that there are no reasons if you're not a millionaire.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 07:46:01 AM »

People are individuals and should vote their conscience not based on expectations or how a group already votes. Why do people think that because some Black people should vote Republican due to gay rights issues/religion? That's silly since you think about how some Trump voters voted. Plus, Black voters are still largely to the left on economic issues (environment, healthcare, education, etc.).
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 11:15:41 AM »

I can see Asians voting atleast 40-45% Republican if the Republicans become more friendly to non-whites. They voted Republican until the 90s, and since they're even wealthier than whites as a group the GOP should atleast try to make the Asian vote competitive. Hispanics should be harder, but the Republicans still should be able to get more than the anemic 27/29% Romney and Trump got if they try.

There are plenty of wealthy and/or socially conservative Hispanics who didn't want to vote for Trump or Romney (remember the "self-deportation" gaffe). I don't see any Republican getting more than 12% with African Americans in the foreseeable future.

The problem is that making inroads with minorities probably will cost the GOP votes with non college-educated whites (and probably some college-educated whites as well). Personally I'd trade off some whites for affluent and/or conservative minorities as a whites-only GOP isn't viable on the long term (and sucks ideologically), but we shouldn't forget that the EC heavily favours people using Trump's strategy (Asians and Latino's live in non-competititve states).
uti2

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 01:10:06 PM »

I can see Asians voting atleast 40-45% Republican if the Republicans become more friendly to non-whites. They voted Republican until the 90s, and since they're even wealthier than whites as a group the GOP should atleast try to make the Asian vote competitive. Hispanics should be harder, but the Republicans still should be able to get more than the anemic 27/29% Romney and Trump got if they try.

There are plenty of wealthy and/or socially conservative Hispanics who didn't want to vote for Trump or Romney (remember the "self-deportation" gaffe). I don't see any Republican getting more than 12% with African Americans in the foreseeable future.

The problem is that making inroads with minorities probably will cost the GOP votes with non college-educated whites (and probably some college-educated whites as well). Personally I'd trade off some whites for affluent and/or conservative minorities as a whites-only GOP isn't viable on the long term (and sucks ideologically), but we shouldn't forget that the EC heavily favours people using Trump's strategy (Asians and Latino's live in non-competititve states).

The Asian American population was predominantly christian in that era, newer Asian-American immigrants have a higher percentage of non-Christians. They don't like the christian right. As you mention in your last paragraph, outreach to certain demographics will have implications on other demographics. Trying to appeal to Asian-Americans would weaken GOP support amongst Religious Christians.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 04:24:43 PM »

Just remind them of the Democrats' murderous history of racism.  It's time to wave the bloody shirt again!
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 06:26:49 AM »

Just remind them of the Democrats' murderous history of racism.  It's time to wave the bloody shirt again!
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 10:57:59 AM »

And that has relevance today how...?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 11:30:14 AM »

LOL, seriously.  I remember reading in a book one time about a Southern Republican in the 1990s who pretty much made his campaign strategy to court "The New South" (suburban areas and Northern transplants) and get enough Black support, pretty much by pointing out that his Democratic opponent was once a segregationist ... Black voters more or less gave him a, "so what?" response.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 01:35:42 PM »

LOL, seriously.  I remember reading in a book one time about a Southern Republican in the 1990s who pretty much made his campaign strategy to court "The New South" (suburban areas and Northern transplants) and get enough Black support, pretty much by pointing out that his Democratic opponent was once a segregationist ... Black voters more or less gave him a, "so what?" response.
Its the most ignorant thing ever. By that same logic, by being American, you are a genocidal racist because we used to own slaves and kill Indians.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2017, 02:40:19 PM »

If that's your strategy for winning over black voters, you're gonna have a bad time.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2017, 04:38:50 PM »

"Now, kids, if you work really hard, you can grow up to systematically abuse detainees and be investigated for federal civil rights offenses too!"

Livin' The American Dream.

Well, I mean, you could ask the converse: "Give me a reason why whites should vote D."

Well, I'm white and I voted for Clinton because I don't like having a president with an itchy nuclear trigger finger, who supports archaic protectionism, and is generally ignorant of all information relevant to being president even if he's white/orange. Don't see what any of that has to do with being white or black.

"I know we have a Republican president who just said there were "fine people" at a KKK rally, but let's just pretend it was 90 years ago when Democrats did stuff like that so you can have an excuse to still vote for him"

That'll work
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 07:48:41 PM »

They believe abortion is murder.
They're rich and want tax cuts.
They're a military contractor.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2017, 11:12:27 AM »

We dont like paying taxes, believe in work and not taking hand outs. Many blacks are very religious, and my family (latino) is made of devout catholics
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 05:20:34 PM »

The same reasons whites would...?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies