Should we outsource healthcare to India?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:12:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should we outsource healthcare to India?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: Should we outsource healthcare to India?  (Read 1371 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2005, 09:14:53 PM »
« edited: August 18, 2005, 09:18:11 PM by phknrocket1k »

I of course do supporting the increased outsourcing of healthcare to India. Americans will gain much wealth from cheapened healthcare and India's standard of living will increase.

Largely based off this concept.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 09:15:58 PM »

Yes, obviously
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 07:07:39 AM »

Outsourcing only works to reduce cost and increase profit if your consumers don't actually have to go to where you outsource. First, getting the people who want care to India will cost them both money and time - since it will take time, they are likely to pay a little more for the convenience of local care, and since it costs money anything that could be done for less in the U.S. than the cost of travel and care would not be outsourceable. Pile on other problems, and you quickly come up with 'No'.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 08:29:06 AM »

NO.  Outsourcing most things to other countries is bad in the first place.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 01:30:01 PM »

We can outsource the book keeping aspect of it all, but actual health care has to be done domestically, unless we send our patients overseas to be treated.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 01:45:10 PM »

No, I'm talking about getting Americans to a coastal city, getting them on a cruise ship to go some-place outside of any visa restrictions and than getting low-cost healthcare.

Looking at X-Ray scans can be done already via the internet.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 01:46:29 PM »

No, I'm talking about getting Americans to a coastal city, getting them on a cruise ship to go some-place outside of any visa restrictions and than getting low-cost healthcare.

But that's not the question you asked. You explicitly asked "Should we outsource healthcare to India?".
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 01:47:31 PM »

But that's not the question you asked. You explicitly asked "Should we outsource healthcare to India?".

Of course, Indian doctors will be doing the work, and thier incomes sent to thier family in Delhi or Bombay.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 01:54:59 PM »

Of course, Indian doctors will be doing the work, and thier incomes sent to thier family in Delhi or Bombay.

Few people would actually go for that. There's a certain amount of quality we've come to expect here in the U.S., and I doubt your little cruise ship plan would be able to meet it.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 02:18:09 PM »

Just a slight correction to that.  It's now (again) Mumbai, not Bombay. 
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 07:00:52 PM »

Few people would actually go for that. There's a certain amount of quality we've come to expect here in the U.S., and I doubt your little cruise ship plan would be able to meet it.

When the difference between the two procedures is nearly $90,000; people will give a sh**t.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 10:15:15 PM »

No...but we ALREADY have...but I won't go into that.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2005, 11:32:43 PM »

No...but we ALREADY have...but I won't go into that.

Haha. I know what you mean by that.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2005, 11:45:34 PM »

I've heard that this is already happening. For expensive operations its cheaper to travel to India and have the surgery done there. I don't think we should or could try to stop people from doing that. But I must say that I am concerned about the amount of work being done overseas which was once done here. Yes as consumers we benefit from an abundance of low cost goods and services, but the question is what can we make to sell to the rest of the world? Aside from agricultural produce there doesn't seem to be much.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 12:32:56 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2005, 12:36:57 PM by phknrocket1k »

but the question is what can we make to sell to the rest of the world? Aside from agricultural produce there doesn't seem to be much.

Although a bit embarrassing, you must realize that our comparative advantage IS agriculture.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2005, 11:03:30 AM »

but the question is what can we make to sell to the rest of the world? Aside from agricultural produce there doesn't seem to be much.

Although a bit embarrassing, you must realize that our comparative advantage IS agriculture.
Comparative to where exactly? Western Europe - I'll be prepared to grant that one. Elsewhere - no.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies