Why don't Americans celebrate Civil Rights success more?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:32:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why don't Americans celebrate Civil Rights success more?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why don't Americans celebrate Civil Rights success more?  (Read 306 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 16, 2017, 08:15:33 PM »

When you think about the history of slavery and how we abolished it and came so far, and just a couple decades after the Civil Rights era we had a twice elected African American President, how come Americans don't seem to celebrate our successes but rather focus on negatives and work that hasn't been done yet?

It's like a kid going from having all "F" grades on his report card to all but one "A" grades and getting yelled at because one subject is still an "F". It doesn't make sense to me.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 08:43:47 PM »

Because it's still insufficient?
It's not going from all Fs to As and one F on a report card, it's like going from 6 Fs to like 3 Cs and 3 Ds. Sure, it's progress, but there's still work to be done.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 08:49:03 PM »

We do celebrate it a lot.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 08:49:18 PM »

The fact that people like you hated our first black president as much as you did and then nominated and elected Donald Trump was proof enough that the Civil Rights movement was not as successful as we thought it was.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 08:53:23 PM »

Well then maybe people like you shouldn't have pouted and fought any time a state wanted to celebrate Martin Luther King day, a day pretty much dedicated to recognizing him and the accomplishments of the civil rights movement.

As others have said, we have not gone far enough for the civil rights of people.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 08:55:30 PM »

The same reason why we don't celebrate at the 18th mile of a marathon.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 08:56:02 PM »

I don't think you're making an appropriate analogy. While my views on this subject obviously diverge in some ways from most Atlas posters, liberty has never been expanded by resting on laurels and celebrating the past. In fact, that sounds like a recipe for the rise of tyranny.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 08:59:57 PM »

Funny that a Republican would post this when they always bitch about MLK day and Black History Month.

A lot of people genuinely aren't happy that we've made the progress we have, so naturally they don't want to celebrate it. Not really a hard argument to make after this weekend and the president and much of the right wing's response.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 09:23:01 PM »

When you think about the history of slavery and how we abolished it and came so far, and just a couple decades after the Civil Rights era we had a twice elected African American President, how come Americans don't seem to celebrate our successes but rather focus on negatives and work that hasn't been done yet?

It's like a kid going from having all "F" grades on his report card to all but one "A" grades and getting yelled at because one subject is still an "F". It doesn't make sense to me.

Because, Naso, every other post you ever make indicates there's so so much more to be done.

Ask 100 black people (scary, I know) if they think prejudice or the lack thereof in America gets an A grade. See how many agree.

I realize your response will be something along the lines of "black leaders" "liberals" "race card" "appreciate America" rather than "Gee, maybe I can learn something from people different from me with different life experiences and discover things I thought were true might not be". But hey, it's a shot.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 09:40:07 PM »

well it would be great to talk about civil rights successes without being told that the CRA never should've been passed because it infringes upon the free market's god-given right to deny service to black people because reasons
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 09:45:20 PM »

The left exists to criticize, not to celebrate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies