Do you prefer justice or peace?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:28:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you prefer justice or peace?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: I dont this question divides neatly on ideology
Justice

Peace

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Do you prefer justice or peace?  (Read 1834 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2005, 09:50:55 PM »

Personally I'm not sure...
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 09:52:01 PM »

Depends on the situation. I'll take a little injustice for peace, maybe even a lot, but obviously there's a breaking point.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 09:54:51 PM »

I can't answer this question because it's impossible to say anything about it in the general sense, really.  It depends entirely on the situation and on what "justice" or "peace" would imply.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 09:56:32 PM »

I can't answer this question because it's impossible to say anything about it in the general sense, really. It depends entirely on the situation and on what "justice" or "peace" would imply.

Right. For example, I might think seatbelt laws are unjust, but I'm not going to start a rebellion or anything.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 09:56:48 PM »

We are not a peaceful species.  Justice!!!
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 09:57:15 PM »

Depends, this question is the core question of the invasion of Iraq. Were we and the Iraqi people willing to give up years of peace to remove a horrible dictator and bring him to justice. Those who prefer peace would rather us leave Saddam in power because that is preferable to our soldiers dying in that country. Those who wanted Saddam removed from power thought justice for Saddam was more important than a few years of war. I tend to fall into the latter position and feel that Justice should trump Peace in almost all situations unless the lack of Peace would do our nation harm.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 10:00:11 PM »

I can't answer this question because it's impossible to say anything about it in the general sense, really.  It depends entirely on the situation and on what "justice" or "peace" would imply.

Yes but, do you in general tend to have a leaning towards one side? If not I guess you cant answer the question, but you can still have a leaning without it being an absolute preference in every case.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 10:01:47 PM »

Well, at the foreign policy level, that's true. However, there's also an issue of Lockean philosophy and natural rights.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 10:29:23 PM »

Yes but, do you in general tend to have a leaning towards one side? If not I guess you cant answer the question, but you can still have a leaning without it being an absolute preference in every case.

I thought about my general impression of both concepts, but I can't say that I can find any answer there, either.  Intuitively I tend towards peace, but then I think about trading peace for justice and I don't like the sound of it, but on the other hand I feel that there are times that being right and doing the right thing are not the same thing, etc., etc. ... I can't detect any real preference in my mind.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 07:12:24 AM »

Peace.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 07:14:06 AM »

As a general rule, you can't have peace without justice - let criminals escape justice and they'll terrorize everyone. Further, in certain situations you CAN have peace without real justice, but can you say it is a peace you could live with? You can have peace under a tyrant if you are obedient, but that's certainly not the kind of peace I would want. So, for the sake of true peace, I choose justice.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 07:26:44 AM »

As a general rule, you can't have peace without justice - let criminals escape justice and they'll terrorize everyone. Further, in certain situations you CAN have peace without real justice, but can you say it is a peace you could live with? You can have peace under a tyrant if you are obedient, but that's certainly not the kind of peace I would want. So, for the sake of true peace, I choose justice.

I would agree with you on the grand scale of things and in theory, but if you choose justice 100% of the time, you are not, by definition, allowed to stand for one second while something is unjust in the world.  If you see something you perceive as unjust, and you don't immediately attempt to rectify it by all means possible, you're automatically choosing peace over justice.  There are likely ongoing police investigations of thus far unsolved crimes around your town that you're not doing a thing to help, and as such, you're choosing peace over justice right this minute, even.

I'm not saying that there's something wrong with this, or that you should be out there solving those crimes.  I'm only saying that you may choose peace over justice substantially more than you might intuitively think.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2005, 08:54:23 AM »

I would agree with you on the grand scale of things and in theory, but if you choose justice 100% of the time, you are not, by definition, allowed to stand for one second while something is unjust in the world.  If you see something you perceive as unjust, and you don't immediately attempt to rectify it by all means possible, you're automatically choosing peace over justice.  There are likely ongoing police investigations of thus far unsolved crimes around your town that you're not doing a thing to help, and as such, you're choosing peace over justice right this minute, even.

I'm not saying that there's something wrong with this, or that you should be out there solving those crimes.  I'm only saying that you may choose peace over justice substantially more than you might intuitively think.

True enough, realistically we can't be on a constant crusade of justice against all evil.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2005, 11:01:47 AM »

There is no peace without justice.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2005, 11:31:55 AM »

Peace sells. but who's buying?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2005, 11:33:26 AM »

There can be no justice without peace.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2005, 11:38:04 AM »

What?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 12:39:36 PM »

Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2005, 02:57:45 PM »

Justice.

You don't necessarily have justice without peace, and you certainly should never sacrifice justice for peace. That's always been my position on this sort of issue. Just me.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2005, 03:24:07 PM »

Justice.

You don't necessarily have justice without peace, and you certainly should never sacrifice justice for peace. That's always been my position on this sort of issue. Just me.

^^^^^^^^^

I like that answer. Smiley
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2005, 03:28:18 PM »

Justice.

^^^^^^^^^

I like that answer. Smiley

Thanks! Smiley
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2005, 04:00:56 PM »

Justice.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2005, 05:13:53 PM »

you certainly should never sacrifice justice for peace

Yes, you should. Unless you feel like constantly being in some kind of conflict over stupid, minor things.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2005, 06:45:13 PM »

True enough, realistically we can't be on a constant crusade of justice against all evil.

Yes, that's basically what I'm saying.  I think we can pretty well all agree that justice is better than peace when it means saving thousands of lives, saving the lives of those you care about, or things like that.  However, when it's something that doesn't directly affect us, we do, in general, choose peace over justice an awful lot - probably more than we'd like to think, given that there are quite a few people who would like to think that they stand firm against all evil and hold justice as something that will never be compromised.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2005, 07:23:53 PM »

There is no peace without justice.

This is true in theory, but in reality justice is a matter of perception.  What one person considers justice, another considers injustice.  There will never be a time when everybody believes they have justice.  There will always be somebody who is unhappy.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies