How does Hillary Clinton's concession rank among historic GE concessions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:14:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How does Hillary Clinton's concession rank among historic GE concessions?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Poll
Question: How does Hillary Clinton's concession speech rank among historic general election concession speeches?
The best

One of the best

Medium

One of the worst

The worst

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 88

Author Topic: How does Hillary Clinton's concession rank among historic GE concessions?  (Read 7470 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2017, 10:29:28 PM »

A normal loser would have conceded the night of. Maybe this one was drunk and had to sober up?
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2017, 10:59:45 PM »

I cried. It was hard to see the woman who has dedicated her entire life fighting for the disadvantaged and helpless being shot down in her biggest moment yet by a man who was fed with a silver spoon as soon as he was born. A man who has built his life around tearing others down. Her reputation and her bid for the presidency was tarnished by lies, hate, and arrogance by the GOP and Trump. She was angry, upset, and confused yet she got up there and did the hardest thing in American history: Conceding her seemingly inevitable presidency to someone as unqualified and hateful as Donald Trump. Her speech was the best one in history. 
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2017, 12:49:44 AM »

A normal loser would have conceded the night of. Maybe this one was drunk and had to sober up?

Maybe this one is reading too many internet rumor mills?^ It was 2 AM when Trump secured all 270 votes. Why would she go on to concede when many of her supporters had already gone to sleep. Might as well wait till the morning when everyone is awake
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2017, 12:45:14 PM »

I think when she sent John Podesta out to face the crowd because she was too chickens**t was the moment I realized I should've went for Sanders.
60+ GOP Seats After 2018 GUARANTEED
ahugecat

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2017, 01:12:57 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2017, 01:16:46 PM by ahugecat »

Maybe this one is reading too many internet rumor mills?^ It was 2 AM when Trump secured all 270 votes. Why would she go on to concede when many of her supporters had already gone to sleep. Might as well wait till the morning when everyone is awake

The real reasons she didn't do a concession speech are simple:

1. She was physically unable (too drunk? too sedated? passed out? inconsolable? I think it's somewhat of a combination)
2. She didn't want to concede under the glass ceiling and on top of the USA map
3. She wanted to fight the results and planned on lawyering up and asking for recounts

Of course, she eventually conceded once the AP called the race (she told the Trump campaign he had 15 minutes to concede after the AP or 2 networks call it). One of the reasons she didn't do 3 was because Obama told her not to - I am guessing he told her he'd try to sabotage his Presidency with bogus Russia claims.

She was also an hour late to her concession speech in the morning, so I think she was still at 1 as well - but more inconsolable.

I want to see what she says in her book. Let's see how honest she can be. She should give an explanation on what happened election morning.

Romney also didn't want to concede and fought the results for a while before conceding at 1AM (almost 2 hours after all the networks called it!). You can tell his concession speech was just written too LOL.
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2017, 05:08:56 PM »

1. She was physically unable (too drunk? too sedated? passed out? inconsolable? I think it's somewhat of a combination)
3. She wanted to fight the results and planned on lawyering up and asking for recounts

Of course, she eventually conceded once the AP called the race (she told the Trump campaign he had 15 minutes to concede after the AP or 2 networks call it). One of the reasons she didn't do 3 was because Obama told her not to - I am guessing he told her he'd try to sabotage his Presidency with bogus Russia claims.

She was also an hour late to her concession speech in the morning, so I think she was still at 1 as well - but more inconsolable.

I want to see what she says in her book. Let's see how honest she can be. She should give an explanation on what happened election morning.

Romney also didn't want to concede and fought the results for a while before conceding at 1AM (almost 2 hours after all the networks called it!). You can tell his concession speech was just written too LOL.

I love how you are listing those reasons as if you know for a fact that they are true. You literally have no idea. But its Hillary so just assume the worst I guess. Maybe she/her team didn't think conceding at 3 AM ET was a good time considering most people wouldn't even be up to see it?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2017, 06:10:12 PM »

I love how you are listing those reasons as if you know for a fact that they are true. You literally have no idea. But its Hillary so just assume the worst I guess. Maybe she/her team didn't think conceding at 3 AM ET was a good time considering most people wouldn't even be up to see it?

Well, presidential races were being called/then conceded on such hours before. I think, however, Hillary conceded too quickly via phone. While it was obvious the race was lost, waiting till Trump had 270 called for him seemed more proper.

As of "reports", those are yet to be proven or given any credibility.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2017, 07:47:44 PM »

The fact that she couldn't face her supporters on the night of the election like a grown-ass woman devalues her concession speech.

Hell, Al Gore didn't officially concede until a MONTH after the election in 2000 and he showed more class than she did.
Lord Wreath
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 8.92, S: -4.51

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2017, 10:00:32 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2017, 10:03:07 PM by Lord Wreath »

Oh for God's sake; I've never seen so many grown people cry than on the night of Clinton's defeat, it was really pathetic. Clinton herself crying was the final nail in the coffin of a weak and laughable campaign.
ahugecat

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2017, 04:36:53 AM »

Well, presidential races were being called/then conceded on such hours before. I think, however, Hillary conceded too quickly via phone. While it was obvious the race was lost, waiting till Trump had 270 called for him seemed more proper.

As of "reports", those are yet to be proven or given any credibility.

She had to concede at that time.

She had a deal with the Trump campaign that 15 minutes after the AP calls the race, the losing campaign has to concede.
ahugecat

« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2017, 04:37:37 AM »

Why was she an hour late to her concession speech in the morning after the election then? Traffic jam? LOL.

(Nope - she was still at the hotel, as I said, she was either inconsolable or sedated. No other explanation)
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2017, 08:31:34 AM »

Why was she an hour late to her concession speech in the morning after the election then? Traffic jam? LOL.

(Nope - she was still at the hotel, as I said, she was either inconsolable or sedated. No other explanation)

Everyone should just come to you for insider info. You seem to know it all! (All while providing zero evidence to back up your claims) Anyway, I'm done entertaining your trolling. Bye Smiley
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2017, 12:31:49 PM »

Everyone should just come to you for insider info. You seem to know it all! (All while providing zero evidence to back up your claims) Anyway, I'm done entertaining your trolling. Bye Smiley

Surely you must realize that this is almost always the degree to which Hillary Clinton is unfairly treated...
ahugecat

« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2017, 01:22:40 PM »

This is not insider info?

Everything I have said can be inferred by public information.

Why do you think she was an hour late to her morning concession speech? Traffic jam? LOL. It can't be because she was still reported at her hotel. Finalizing the speech? Doubt it.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2017, 02:20:48 PM »

Huh, I didn't expect you to admit you were making this up.
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2017, 04:49:38 PM »

ahugecat

« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2017, 03:21:54 PM »

So - why was she late to her public concession in the morning?

If she wasn't inconsolable, then why? She was still at her hotel when she was supposed to give her confession at the New Yorker Hotel.

Her eyes at the confession say it all - she was crying for hours. She had to pull herself together.

Obama admin. also confirmed my theory she was going to send lawyers to fight the results.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2017, 09:10:18 AM »

I thought she should've faced her supporters. They stuck by her all night, and I think they deserved a chance to hear her speak, even if it was a concession.

This is why I voted it "the worst".  The fact that she didn't face her supporters.  Losing sucks, and I've worked on my share of losing campaigns, but the folks behind her deserved the leader to stay to the end and give the bad news.  She couldn't even face them to tell them, personally, to go home, it's not looking good, but it isn't over. 
ahugecat

« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2017, 02:47:30 PM »

This is why I voted it "the worst".  The fact that she didn't face her supporters.  Losing sucks, and I've worked on my share of losing campaigns, but the folks behind her deserved the leader to stay to the end and give the bad news.  She couldn't even face them to tell them, personally, to go home, it's not looking good, but it isn't over. 

This has happened recently twice before. I can understand why Gore didn't come out on election night.

But Kerry did send Edwards out on election night instead of himself. However, to be fair he wouldn't concede til late morning. Clinton conceded 30 minutes after she sent Podesta out.

Kerry, like Clinton, was going to start lawyering up and ask for recounts. Both Kerry and Clinton would back out though.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2017, 09:33:23 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2017, 09:35:00 PM by PittsburghSteel »

Oh for God's sake; I've never seen so many grown people cry than on the night of Clinton's defeat, it was really pathetic. Clinton herself crying was the final nail in the coffin of a weak and laughable campaign.

Oh PLEASE. There were far more grown ass men crying on election nights 08 and 12 solely because a black man won the presidency. And I'm sure there would've been many crying if Trump lost. Grow up. It's called democracy and people get passionate. You have no right to vilify voters who didn't agree with you.
Lord Wreath
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 8.92, S: -4.51

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2017, 04:45:22 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2017, 05:19:27 PM by Lord Wreath »

Oh PLEASE. There were far more grown ass men crying on election nights 08 and 12 solely because a black man won the presidency. And I'm sure there would've been many crying if Trump lost. Grow up. It's called democracy and people get passionate. You have no right to vilify voters who didn't agree with you.
Yeah right! I may have seen 'angry' voters, voters venting their frustrations on social media and voters pretty despondent about the direction of the country, but you can bet your bottom dollar I didn't see anyone crying. Crying over the loss of a politician is tantamount to crying because you died in a video game; it's just as stupid, just as childish. How many people were crying when Wilkie lost to FDR? Stevenson to Eisenhower? Nixon to Kennedy? That's right, NO ONE!

And if criticising grown men and women for crying over something so transitory and stupid is vilification, then I am vilifying people and proud of it! It's pathetic! Perhaps the Democrats dog-whistling Trump so that he sounded like the literal embodiment of Hitler had something to do with all the silly tears? I mean, give me a break! It's not as if he can't just be voted out in four years anyway.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2017, 05:45:14 PM »

This is getting silly. I don't like the fact she didn't concede (publicly) during the election night, but let's not crucify her over this.

Even if she had some sort of a breakdown (which is based on unreliable sources so far), I think I can totally understand her on human level.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2017, 05:48:08 PM »

Hillary was great. As I said before, I have no problem with her not conceding on election night because of the way she was treated by Trump during the campaign.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2017, 07:23:41 PM »

Yeah right! I may have seen 'angry' voters, voters venting their frustrations on social media and voters pretty despondent about the direction of the country, but you can bet your bottom dollar I didn't see anyone crying. Crying over the loss of a politician is tantamount to crying because you died in a video game; it's just as stupid, just as childish. How many people were crying when Wilkie lost to FDR? Stevenson to Eisenhower? Nixon to Kennedy? That's right, NO ONE!

And if criticising grown men and women for crying over something so transitory and stupid is vilification, then I am vilifying people and proud of it! It's pathetic! Perhaps the Democrats dog-whistling Trump so that he sounded like the literal embodiment of Hitler had something to do with all the silly tears? I mean, give me a break! It's not as if he can't just be voted out in four years anyway.
This post makes absolutely no sense. People DID cry when McCain and Romney lost. And I didn't know you were aware of the reactions of every single American from elections that go back 40, 50, and 60 years.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2017, 07:42:07 PM »

Yeah...no
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies