Do you actually favour impeachment of Donald Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:56:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do you actually favour impeachment of Donald Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you favour impeachment!
Yes

No

No clue, mate.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: Do you actually favour impeachment of Donald Trump?  (Read 1844 times)
Cashew
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 12:30:48 PM »
« edited: August 17, 2017, 02:37:50 PM by Cashew »

The prosecution's case for impeachment cannot be proven to a satisfactory extent at this time, so no.

Yes, but that was perfectly clear before the election and the american people still elected him. I don't think that is grounds for impeachment.

No the people rejected Trump but the electoral college denied them their voice. Stop repeating trumpist talking points meant to legitimize him.

I didn't know the truth was a Trumpist talking point. Trump won according to the rules of scoring that were clearly defined ahead of time and that everyone operated under. You are free to promote a change to those rules, but to pretend that they are somehow illegitimate because they did not produce the outcome you wanted is ludicrous. Had the roles been reversed and Clinton lost the PV but won the EV, would you be complaining that the people were denied their voice? Somehow I doubt it.

Come on it's painful too see a smart guy like you resort to something so embarrassingly far from the truth, there is simply no way you did not notice my near constant complains against the Connecticut compromise, electoral college, and filibuster.

To clarify my position is that most unrepresentative electoral systems are morally indefensible regardless of how legal they are.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 02:30:44 PM »

It may be premature, but the evidence mounts of criminality of those around him. It may only be a matter of time. One does not get connections to organized crime syndicates without becoming horribly corrupt, whether one is a businessman or a politician.

Impeachment is not a vote of no confidence, as it is not a means of removing a leader for incompetence. There is no residual question of this President's incompetence.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 03:55:36 PM »

The prosecution's case for impeachment cannot be proven to a satisfactory extent at this time, so no.

Yes, but that was perfectly clear before the election and the american people still elected him. I don't think that is grounds for impeachment.

No the people rejected Trump but the electoral college denied them their voice. Stop repeating trumpist talking points meant to legitimize him.

I didn't know the truth was a Trumpist talking point. Trump won according to the rules of scoring that were clearly defined ahead of time and that everyone operated under. You are free to promote a change to those rules, but to pretend that they are somehow illegitimate because they did not produce the outcome you wanted is ludicrous. Had the roles been reversed and Clinton lost the PV but won the EV, would you be complaining that the people were denied their voice? Somehow I doubt it.

Come on it's painful too see a smart guy like you resort to something so embarrassingly far from the truth, there is simply no way you did not notice my near constant complains against the Connecticut compromise, electoral college, and filibuster.

To clarify my position is that most unrepresentative electoral systems are morally indefensible regardless of how legal they are.

If I am incorrect in my characterization that you would be happy with the Electoral College were it to deliver Clinton a victory despite losing the PV, then I apologize. I have not noticed your other posts on the matter.

As I said, you are welcome to want to change the Electoral College. I don't see anything immoral per se with an electoral system that can deliver results different from the PV, but I can agree that our system is based off of an outdated conception of the Republic and the originalist argument that one could offer does not make sense today (which has led to a wide variety of other, more modern arguments being made in favor of it). However, illegitimacy would seem to imply to me that a law can be ignored, and you or I can no more ignore the Electoral College than we can ignore gravity. If that is not what you meant to imply, then we can just put this down to semantic differences.
AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 05:34:01 PM »

Now seems a good a time as any to remind folks that if Trump was removed, the presidency wouldn't go to a Dem.  It goes to Pence.

You know.  The guy who advocates for gay conversion therapy.

Just sayin.. sometimes you oughta be careful what you wish for.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2017, 05:36:11 PM »

Not yet. Just a matter of time I'm sure.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2017, 06:08:41 PM »

Anyone know how many votes are needed to censure Trump?

Either House can pass a resolution of censure by a majority vote.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2017, 06:12:06 PM »

The people voted for Trump. The extra Hillary votes just don't matter. Once she hit 50% in California, those extra votes stopped mattering.

It really eats away at you doesn't it?
right, 'cause he brought the subject up in the thread first...wait...no, that was you.  Weird.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2017, 06:17:02 PM »

TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2017, 07:05:11 PM »

I voted yes. I'm sick of him now, but he should be impeached if evidence appears that guarantees impeachment.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2017, 07:22:48 PM »

Yes. He is mentally ill and draining. America will be in complete disarray if his presidency continues.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2017, 07:35:54 PM »

If it is proved that he is guilty of high crimes and misdemeanours.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2017, 01:28:51 PM »

Yes. Trump is uniquely unqualified for the demands of this job. Pence was a competent governor, and while he's ethically and ideologically deeply questionable, he is also unquestionably better prepared to be the president then Trump by orders of magnitude.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2017, 01:34:01 PM »

Yes! #lockhimup!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2017, 01:57:56 PM »

For what? Orderly conduct?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2017, 02:04:57 PM »

Just say "thank you for the kool aid reverend Jim".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2017, 07:55:50 PM »

Very surprising. Can I ask why, TG?
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2017, 08:07:18 PM »

Nah. Pence would be more competent at implementing fascist conservative policy, and Trump is the gift that keeps on giving when it comes to 2018 and 2020.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2017, 08:18:27 PM »

Mike Pence seems to be pretty popular on this forum.
Suburban Republican
omelott
Israel

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2017, 09:50:17 PM »

No, because then we get Mike Pence (someone who isn't an incompetent buffoon and can actually get things done).
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2017, 10:06:24 PM »

This question should really read, "Do you want Pence to be President?".
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2017, 05:06:49 PM »

I think Trump's impeachment should only be pursued if there is sufficient support to remove him (as was the case with Nixon). I don't want the Democrats to repeat the Republicans' mistake in 1998-99 in impeaching Bill Clinton when there was insufficient support in the Senate to actually kick Clinton out. In that case, Clinton surviving his impeachment actually helped him maintain high favorability ratings.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2017, 05:25:01 PM »

Thank you for the kool aid reverend Jim.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2017, 06:53:03 PM »

No. The longer he's there, the more damage he does to the Republican brand.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2017, 06:54:36 PM »

NO
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length