Do you actually favour impeachment of Donald Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:39:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do you actually favour impeachment of Donald Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you favour impeachment!
Yes

No

No clue, mate.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: Do you actually favour impeachment of Donald Trump?  (Read 1824 times)
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 17, 2017, 08:36:30 AM »

With all the constant talk of impeachment, let's take the proposition seriously for a moment.

On the current basis, I would have to answer no, Trump should not be impeached. I think Trump is the biggest danger to western civilization during my lifetime, but I thought that before he was even elected. Nothing much has changed. He is as bad as I expected. The fact is that the american public knowingly elected this guy, as terrible as he is, and that should be respected. Nothing that strikes me as obviously "impeachable" has been uncovered yet. If it turns out that the Russians did infact succeed in hacking election results, then it would be an entirely different matter, but that does not seem to be the case.

So I vote no, as much as it annoys me.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 08:39:17 AM »

I basically agree with you and also think Republicans should be stuck with him rather than being able to replace him with Pence and then proceed as if everything were normal. Pence would be a much more effective and thus more harmful President in any case.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 08:42:51 AM »

I basically agree with you and also think Republicans should be stuck with him rather than being able to replace him with Pence and then proceed as if everything were normal. Pence would be a much more effective and thus more harmful President in any case.
More harmful domestically, sure, but at least there's zero danger that Pence drops a nuke on a random country.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 08:43:33 AM »

I voted yes, but with the caveat that it all depends on what Mueller turns up.  I think Trump is a terrible President, but that by itself isn't impeachable; there needs to be solid evidence of a real offense.  That being said, I do expect there to be such evidence (for obstruction of justice at the very minimum).
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 09:01:46 AM »

No, because we will get Pence and he's not as dumb as Trump and actually poses a threat.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 10:04:32 AM »
« Edited: August 17, 2017, 10:07:51 AM by Frodo »

Not yet -which is why I am so keen on Trump sticking around long enough for Special Counsel Robert Mueller to wrap up his investigation and write up his report and recommendations (which I expect will have evidence justifying impeachment), and to be subsequently impeached and convicted by Congress.

Though I do not expect that to happen until after the midterms, by which point Democrats should control the House and Republicans retaining narrow control of the Senate.    

HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 10:16:52 AM »

What he's done already is debatably obstruction, but I'd wait for more evidence to come in before I'd move forward on impeachment.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 10:18:52 AM »

100%
Wakie77
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 10:20:36 AM »

He is mentally unfit.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 10:35:38 AM »

Yes, but that was perfectly clear before the election and the american people still elected him. I don't think that is grounds for impeachment.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 10:36:24 AM »

Yes. as much as his continuation in office could help Democrats in the future, the Office needs an exorcism to get rid of the demons trump has plagued this country with.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 10:38:52 AM »

Nope.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 10:55:58 AM »

I do, but the downside is a President Pence and we all know his social views are medieval.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 11:02:43 AM »

Yes. The constitution left the definition of "high crimes and misdemeanors" up to each congress. Given the damage the Trump Presidency is causing to our image in the world and our status as a democracy/republic, while having no ability to control himself, I would say he has met the standard for this generation as far as what constitutes a "high crime or misdemeanor" for the president of the United States.

And yes, Pence has proposed some terrible policies in select areas, but at least he isn't clueless enough to collude with Russia, make overtures to white supremacists, or seriously consider starting world war III.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 11:10:54 AM »

I have always been in favor of impeaching Trump. He's in open violation of the Emoluments Clause, and has been for his entire term of office.

On top of that, he's grossly unfit as he has repeatedly demonstrated. And impeachment is ultimately "whatever Congress wants". There are ample grounds for it.

Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 11:17:08 AM »

No, because we will get Pence and he's not as dumb as Trump and actually poses a threat.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 11:37:58 AM »

Yes, but that was perfectly clear before the election and the american people still elected him. I don't think that is grounds for impeachment.

No the people rejected Trump but the electoral college denied them their voice. Stop repeating trumpist talking points meant to legitimize him.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 11:44:27 AM »

No the people rejected Trump but the electoral college denied them their voice. Stop repeating trumpist talking points meant to legitimize him.
The people voted for Trump. The extra Hillary votes just don't matter. Once she hit 50% in California, those extra votes stopped mattering.
Wakie77
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 11:46:29 AM »

A few things to remember, 50% of the population has below average intelligence.  
Trump didn't get a majority, he just got the votes in the right places (of course who knows how much was due to Russian tampering).  Last, I don't think most people realized how unstable he is and now it is really becoming clear.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 11:48:37 AM »

No. So far there's only allegations of criminal conduct with no proof offered. I do favor the 25th Amendment being used, but I think Trump would need to be even more demented before Pence would invoke it.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 11:50:20 AM »

The people voted for Trump. The extra Hillary votes just don't matter. Once she hit 50% in California, those extra votes stopped mattering.

It really eats away at you doesn't it?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 11:54:43 AM »

Not quite yet. We really need it to be like a 300-135 vote in the House and a 80-20 vote in the Senate if we don't want to immediately have massive and violent tantrums from him and his supporters. And I think we can get there, but it's going to take Mueller and a couple of other factors before we reach that level.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 11:58:25 AM »

The point was that he was elected legitimally, even with it being painfully obvious that he wasn't fit to serve. I don't care whether it is a trumpist talking point. Sure he lost the popular vote by 3 million. Sure the electoral college is terrible and helped him. Sure voter suppression is terrible and that helped him. But the fact is that he DID win by the existing ruleset. We don't really know much now that we didn't already know before the election. I don't see a good case for impeachment. Infact I think impeachment on the existing grounds would end up backfiring terribly.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 12:08:05 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2017, 12:10:41 PM by HisGrace »

Impeaching Trump because impeachment can mean "whatever Congress wants" or just because you think he's dangerous sets a terrible precedent. Wait for the investigation to conclude and produce evidence that he's committed felonies (as I suspect it will) and then really put the pressure on Republicans to remove him. You'd also clearly have to impeach him if he fires Mueller as well.

Like I said, I do think he's debatably obstructed justice already, but there's no way Republicans are going to move on that so the Dems pushing it now would only delegitimize them when it counts. If the Dems controlled congress it would be a different ballgame on that one.

LOL, you have interesting opinions on whose votes do and don't matter.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 12:08:21 PM »

The prosecution's case for impeachment cannot be proven to a satisfactory extent at this time, so no.

I didn't know the truth was a Trumpist talking point. Trump won according to the rules of scoring that were clearly defined ahead of time and that everyone operated under. You are free to promote a change to those rules, but to pretend that they are somehow illegitimate because they did not produce the outcome you wanted is ludicrous. Had the roles been reversed and Clinton lost the PV but won the EV, would you be complaining that the people were denied their voice? Somehow I doubt it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies