Abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:16:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Abortion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28
Author Topic: Abortion  (Read 60021 times)
jravnsbo

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 31, 2003, 10:50:25 AM »

Guns topic is splintering to Abortion, so thought I'd open a new forum for that too.  enjoy:)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 11:01:38 AM »

I am pro-choice in the first three months, no problem, and I have my convictions about the other two trimesters.  But all abortions should be legal when concerning the health of the mother.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 11:05:39 AM »

I don't like abortions... but I don't see why they should be illegal...
Sorry to be glib/warped about this but the only people who would benifit would be people in the wire coat-hanger industry...
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 11:10:36 AM »

I will re-affirm my stance I have taken on prior occassions. I believe a woman possesses the fundamental right to end her pregnancy, at all stages of fetal gestation, pursuant to Constitutional rules on liberty, equal protection, and citizenship. I believe that the government, under the same equal protection logic, is obligated to fund elective and therapeutic abortions. I believe the recently passed Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act is ill-conceived, because I believe that those procedures should be legal under all circumstances, and they show an inimical bias against womankind. I think that is a fairly comprehensive overview of my view on abortion, and I suppose you all knew all of this before I wrote it down.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 11:35:09 AM »

Sorry to be glib/warped about this but the only people who would benifit would be people in the wire coat-hanger industry...
Exactly.  Banning it is not an option.
jravnsbo

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2003, 11:42:39 AM »

guess never wondered till now, does GBR abortions?

migrendel
Italy

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 11:46:08 AM »

In 1967, Great Britain decriminalized abortions in the first 22 weeks of the pregnancy.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2003, 11:50:51 AM »

In 1967, Great Britain decriminalized abortions in the first 22 weeks of the pregnancy.
Okay.
jravnsbo

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2003, 11:51:44 AM »

I'm sure you know even many democrats were for the partial birth abortion ban.

I will re-affirm my stance I have taken on prior occassions. I believe a woman possesses the fundamental right to end her pregnancy, at all stages of fetal gestation, pursuant to Constitutional rules on liberty, equal protection, and citizenship. I believe that the government, under the same equal protection logic, is obligated to fund elective and therapeutic abortions. I believe the recently passed Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act is ill-conceived, because I believe that those procedures should be legal under all circumstances, and they show an inimical bias against womankind. I think that is a fairly comprehensive overview of my view on abortion, and I suppose you all knew all of this before I wrote it down.
jravnsbo

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2003, 11:52:45 AM »

thanks, 22 weeks, that is like 4-5 month range then, interesting.  Did th courts do it or legislative processes?

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2003, 11:57:16 AM »

Dick Gephardt voted for the ban 7 times.
jravnsbo

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2003, 12:16:46 PM »

good for him, many pro choice politicans are even aginst partial birth abortion.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2003, 12:28:49 PM »

good for him, many pro choice politicans are even aginst partial birth abortion.

Gephardt was pro-life until about 15 years ago.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2003, 01:58:16 PM »

While a legal decision issued in 1933 allowed for abortions in certain cases where exigent circumstances existed, the decriminalization of elective abortion was achieved by an act of Parliament. I'm aware of the Democratic support of the ban, but that in no way affects my opposition.
jravnsbo

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2003, 02:13:57 PM »

hum legislative process, an odd concept to apass laws  Smiley

While a legal decision issued in 1933 allowed for abortions in certain cases where exigent circumstances existed, the decriminalization of elective abortion was achieved by an act of Parliament. I'm aware of the Democratic support of the ban, but that in no way affects my opposition.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2003, 02:49:51 PM »

thanks, 22 weeks, that is like 4-5 month range then, interesting.  Did th courts do it or legislative processes?

Legislative.
It began as a PMB put forward by Liberal M.P(and later leader) David Steel, and was adopted by the then Home Sec, Roy Jenkins(ironic eh?)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2003, 03:09:58 PM »

Legislative.
It began as a PMB put forward by Liberal M.P(and later leader) David Steel, and was adopted by the then Home Sec, Roy Jenkins(ironic eh?)
The parliament was able to put forth an abortion law?  It didn't have to go through the courts at all?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2003, 03:30:32 PM »

Yes.
The legislature is far stronger than the courts(which can interpret law but cannot make law)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2003, 03:42:25 PM »

Yes.
The legislature is far stronger than the courts(which can interpret law but cannot make law)
Okay.
jravnsbo

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2003, 04:01:53 PM »

wow courts that don't legislate that would be great!

Yes.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2003, 04:20:06 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2003, 04:20:54 PM by supersoulty »

LOL that would be something else
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2003, 04:26:59 PM »

Yes.
Don't worry Jravnsbo, with four more years of Bush43 you will be able to push through your pro-life justices and turn the clock back on women's rights 30 years.
jravnsbo

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2003, 04:47:44 PM »

Well I think Abortion should be decided in the Congress as I do not think Roe was decide on stable legal grounds.

Yes.
Don't worry Jravnsbo, with four more years of Bush43 you will be able to push through your pro-life justices and turn the clock back on women's rights 30 years.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2003, 05:24:56 PM »

Well I think Abortion should be decided in the Congress as I do not think Roe was decide on stable legal grounds.

Yes.
Are you anti Roe v. wade?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2003, 05:31:59 PM »

I think abortion should be decided by state legislatures and/or congress, not the courts.

Whatever the will of the people is, I would accept.  I am against abortion in principle but recognize that in practice it can possibly be the best of several bad options, under certain circumstances.  

It's not a black and white issue, but I think the logic behind the Roe vs. Wade decision is specious.  I don't believe we're talking about the woman's body, but a separate body growing inside of her, something that was created by a man AND a woman.

I think abortion as currently structured does not provide men with equal rights as a parent, and I think in concept that that's wrong.  A man cannot prevent a woman from aborting his child, even if he's willing to accept sole responsibility for the child.  By the same token, he can't force the mother of his child to have an abortion, even if he doesn't want the child.  But he must abide by her choice whatever it is, including paying child support.  So the  man is assigned full responsibility for whatever decisions the woman makes, but no legal standing to participate in those decisions, even within marriage.  Come to think of it, that's the ideal world as conceived by the feminists.

One sickness of our society is a heavy reliance on the legal system to fix the screw-ups we create in our personal lives.  Americans don't seem to realize that the legal system can't make everything right.  There is no substitute for responsible behavior, on the part of men and women, when it comes to activities that could result in pregnancy.  Abortion and laws to force men to pay support to the illegitimate children that they're not involved in raising are not the answers.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies