Abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:08:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Abortion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 28
Author Topic: Abortion  (Read 59982 times)
jravnsbo

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: January 14, 2004, 10:13:51 PM »

Do these same women march for children.  If they are supposed to be pro-choice and not just pro-abortion shouldn't one of the choices be in support of the unborn?

U.S. Abortion rights supporters:

Just wondering, is everyone familiar with the March for Choice/ March for Women's Lives ?

Washington, D.C.  April 25

http://www.marchforwomen.org/

Largest pro-choice rally since '92
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2004, 10:33:33 PM »

Do these same women march for children.  If they are supposed to be pro-choice and not just pro-abortion shouldn't one of the choices be in support of the unborn?

U.S. Abortion rights supporters:

Just wondering, is everyone familiar with the March for Choice/ March for Women's Lives ?

Washington, D.C.  April 25

http://www.marchforwomen.org/

Largest pro-choice rally since '92

Certainly pro-life women (and pro-choice women) have the right to give birth to the baby and no one is questioning that.

And pro-choice women are strong advocates for social programs that help the welfare of (born) children.
PD
pd

« Reply #152 on: January 18, 2004, 05:20:11 PM »

You do not know how hard it is for me to hold my tongue. Consider yourself lucky that I'm not blasting my conservative, Christian, right wing views here.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #153 on: January 18, 2004, 05:25:08 PM »

You do not know how hard it is for me to hold my tongue. Consider yourself lucky that I'm not blasting my conservative, Christian, right wing views here.

We are, believe me, we are... Wink
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #154 on: January 18, 2004, 05:57:02 PM »

You would be if you hadn't been previously warned.
PD
pd

« Reply #155 on: January 18, 2004, 06:07:18 PM »

I'll do it. Don't get nasty with me. I don't like you. Gustaf is fine, except for the fact that he's a liberal, but you...
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #156 on: January 18, 2004, 06:10:48 PM »

I'll do it. Don't get nasty with me. I don't like you. Gustaf is fine, except for the fact that he's a liberal, but you...

I'm not THAT liberal...and MiamiU is nice to most people, we all have to try and be tolerant of each other.

An issue like abortion creates a lot of strong opinions, so we all have to try and be moderate when discussing it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #157 on: January 18, 2004, 06:21:22 PM »

I would try and bring this discussion back on track again, that is back to abortion after a lot of other things have jumped around, but I have no real opinion, embarassing as it is to admit. I hate this issue, there is no position with which I feel morally comfortable.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #158 on: January 18, 2004, 06:38:10 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2004, 06:38:39 PM by Miamiu1027 »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
You really think that you offend me when you tell me that you don't like me?  Think again.
PD
pd

« Reply #159 on: January 18, 2004, 06:55:06 PM »

You really think that you offend me when you tell me that you don't like me?  Think again.
I wasn't trying to offend you.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #160 on: January 18, 2004, 09:18:22 PM »

What were you trying to do?  Scare me?
PD
pd

« Reply #161 on: January 18, 2004, 09:24:50 PM »

What were you trying to do?  Scare me?
No. I was just stating that I don't like you.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #162 on: January 18, 2004, 09:30:11 PM »

Well, Miamiu, I'm sure that should come as an epiphany. Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #163 on: January 18, 2004, 09:49:26 PM »

Well, Miamiu, I'm sure that should come as an epiphany. Smiley
Oh yeah, it does Smiley
mossy
Rookie

« Reply #164 on: January 19, 2004, 09:08:33 PM »

This is an issue to distract from less favorable issues, like deficit, amputations, no jobs.  You can expect it to be stirred up frequently during the next year.    
bejkuy

« Reply #165 on: January 20, 2004, 05:34:46 PM »

To many people, the issue of legalized abortion will always be a central as long as it remains legal.
Quite a few people in this county, myself included, equate the last 30 years with the holocaust.
When a person holds a view such as this, it is no distraction.  It is THE ISSUE.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #166 on: January 20, 2004, 05:35:59 PM »

Roe v. wade=holocaust.  Right.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #167 on: January 20, 2004, 05:36:47 PM »

To many people, the issue of legalized abortion will always be a central as long as it remains legal.
Quite a few people in this county, myself included, equate the last 30 years with the holocaust.
When a person holds a view such as this, it is no distraction.  It is THE ISSUE.

You equate abortion procedures with the Holocaust? You think we should trials and start a world war?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #168 on: January 20, 2004, 05:37:41 PM »

You equate abortion procedures with the Holocaust? You think we should trials and start a world war?
Yeah, he's a little out there.
bejkuy

« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2004, 05:46:13 PM »

<<You equate abortion procedures with the Holocaust? You think we should trials and start a world war?>>

?

Gustaf,
You are a reasonable man as am I.  In no way would I support any of the following.  I denounce those who would use any violent means.  I am simply informing you that a large number of people in the U.S. (I would guess 25-35%) see no little between the indiscriminate killing of innocent babies and the slaughter of the Jews.  Obviously there are completely different circumstances that require completely different responses.  

Think about it though, if you are a person that believes that life is a gift from God and that it begins at the moment of conception, you will have very strong feelings when you hear the statistics surrounding abortion.  I know many otherwise liberal people who will not vote for any candidate that is not pro-life.  
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2004, 05:59:22 PM »

You mean COUNTRY, right?

<<You equate abortion procedures with the Holocaust? You think we should trials and start a world war?>>

?

Gustaf,
You are a reasonable man as am I.  In no way would I support any of the following.  I denounce those who would use any violent means.  I am simply informing you that a large number of people in the U.S. (I would guess 25-35%) see no little between the indiscriminate killing of innocent babies and the slaughter of the Jews.  Obviously there are completely different circumstances that require completely different responses.  

Think about it though, if you are a person that believes that life is a gift from God and that it begins at the moment of conception, you will have very strong feelings when you hear the statistics surrounding abortion.  I know many otherwise liberal people who will not vote for any candidate that is not pro-life.  

bejkuy,

In order to believe that abortion = holocaust, you'd have to believe that:

1) The Jews killed in the Holocaust lived inside the bodies of Gentiles
2) Abortion doctors and pro-choice women want to rid the world of fetuses (or unborn babies, as you would say)
3) Women seeking abortions want to cause harm to their fetus
-------
Have you ever met an atheist/agnostic pro-lifer? Have you ever met an atheist/agnostic who disapproved of the Holocaust? If pro-life is such an undebatable issue, why would one have to be religious to support it?
-------
The pro-life movement really is about women's rights to control their bodies, rather than protecting life. Pro-lifers are much more likely than pro-choicers to support capital punishment and military action. Pro-lifers are much less likely to support equal rights for women in general.
bejkuy

« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2004, 06:43:37 PM »

<<In order to believe that abortion = holocaust, you'd have to believe that:

1) The Jews killed in the Holocaust lived inside the bodies of Gentiles
2) Abortion doctors and pro-choice women want to rid the world of fetuses (or unborn babies, as you would say)
3) Women seeking abortions want to cause harm to their fetus>>

North Carolina Liberal,
I never said that abortion was the holocaust, rather I stated that to many Americans, the last 30 years has been similar to a holocaust.  
Obviously the situation is different.  If I said a 18 year old basketball player was the next Micheal Jordan would that mean he would have to be 6-5, be born in New York, go to NC, and play for the Bulls?

In regards to the rest of your post, Yes, most pro-lifers are people of faith.  Yes, agnostics and athiests, are likely to favor abortion rights.  (Hitler, Mao, not meant as a cheap shot)  Human life is sacred to REAL people of faith.  

The issue isn't about control.  I no more want to control women than   I'm basically a libertarian on most issues EXCEPT abortion.  It's about the protection of a future person.  Don't try to put a convicted murderer who needs to face his crime in the same category as a baby who is full of opportunity and promise.

Have you seen a modern ultrasound?  It's a child.  They kick, they hickup, they react to noise.  

Abortion is the saddest part of America's history.  When will we wake up?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #172 on: January 21, 2004, 09:05:54 AM »

Mao was a deviant Taoist and Hitler worshiped himself.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #173 on: January 21, 2004, 10:41:56 AM »

?

Gustaf,

Yes, I have the highest respect for the view that abortion is wrong. I have never been able to make up my mind on this issue, so I just take a sceptic stand against extremists on the issue. My point was just that it isn't fair to compare it to the Holocaust, which was an evil act, aimed at the destruction of a people. I think that if you want to make such a comparison, the "starving millions of India", or something like that would be more appropriate and less offensive.
bejkuy

« Reply #174 on: January 21, 2004, 04:27:29 PM »

[

Yes, I have the highest respect for the view that abortion is wrong. I have never been able to make up my mind on this issue, so I just take a sceptic stand against extremists on the issue. My point was just that it isn't fair to compare it to the Holocaust, which was an evil act, aimed at the destruction of a people. I think that if you want to make such a comparison, the "starving millions of India", or something like that would be more appropriate and less offensive.

Fair enough.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies