Election where you would have had the hardest time deciding who to vote for (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:01:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Election where you would have had the hardest time deciding who to vote for (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Election where you would have had the hardest time deciding who to vote for  (Read 1324 times)
AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« on: August 17, 2017, 11:33:28 PM »
« edited: August 17, 2017, 11:39:20 PM by AN63093 »

In real life, 2000 was the hardest.  Both candidates were acceptable to me and I didn't have strong feelings for either one.

Historically, I suspect 1884 would have been a tough one.  As I'm generally a protectionist (and would've been even more so in the 19th century), I would typically vote GOP, but Blaine was one of the weaker candidates in this era on trade.  He was initially pro-tariff while in the Senate, then completely flipped when he was Secretary of State, then flipped yet again after he lost to Cleveland.  I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in his trade position.

On the other hand, Cleveland wasn't pro-tariff either, so this election would be a bit of a "lesser of two evils" type of thing.  At least Cleveland could be counted on to be pro-gold, which set him apart from a lot of Democrats.  I may have narrowly voted Cleveland in '84.

1888 and 1892 would also be tough choices for me, since Harrison waffled on the gold issue.  But Harrison was reliable on tariffs so I'd almost certainly vote for him in the end.  Incidentally, Harrison is probably one of the closer presidents in history to me ideologically (right after Arthur and McKinley).  Very few presidents post New Deal are close to me ideologically at all.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies