Most Popular Sports Teams in Your Area
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:03:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Most Popular Sports Teams in Your Area
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Most Popular Sports Teams in Your Area  (Read 2200 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2017, 11:19:17 AM »

We've done topics on people's FAVORITE sports teams, but I have always been interested in fan base geography.  What is the breakdown of fan loyalties where you live?  Obviously, just use your best guess based on what you see.  Include any and all sports.  Here's mine for Iowa City:

MLB: 40% Cubs, 20% Cardinals, 10% Twins, 30% Other
NFL: 30% Bears, 30% Packers, 20% Vikings, 20% Other
NCAAF: 85% Iowa, 5% Iowa State, 10% Other

For Peoria, I'd guess:

MLB: 40% Cubs, 30% Cardinals, 10% White Sox, 20% Other
NFL: 75% Bears, 25% Other
NCAAF: 65% Illini, 10% Notre Dame, 10% Randmo Big Ten Schools, 15% Other
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 11:43:33 AM »

So growing up and currently living in the western suburbs of Chicago, this is what I have perceived.

MLB: 50% Cubs; 40% White Sox; 10% Other
NFL: 70% Bears; 20% Packers; 10% Other (but basically all of my close friends like other teams (Broncos, Titans, Lions, Patriots))
NCAA: Equal parts which make up like 85%: Illinois, Michigan, ohio State, Wisconsin, Notre Dame; 15% other

I got the feeling Illinois is like everyone's second favorite school around here, but few are super passionate about it, which makes sense because we have sucked lately.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 12:04:29 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2017, 12:08:44 PM by mvd10 »

Willem II (the football club, not the king...) and PSV. Now everyone on Atlas probably knows in which city I live Tongue. I don't know about which foreign football clubs are popular here. I guess mainly Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 12:29:02 PM »

In my area, Porto Metropolitan area, FCPorto, also my football club, is dominant. According to a poll from 2010, in the Great Metropolitan area of Porto, the most popular teams are:

63.8% FCPorto
16.1% Benfica
  6.9% Sporting CP
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 01:05:58 PM »

MLB: Yankees/Mets

NBA Knicks/Nets (though I've met a Boston Celtics fan)

NHL: Rangers (No one has liked the Islanders since their move from the Nassau Coliseum)

JGibson
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 01:22:34 PM »

I live in Illinois, just outside of St. Louis:

MLB: Overwhelmingly the Cardinals, with some Cubbies fans as well.
NHL: Overwhelmingly the Blues, with some Blackhawks fans as well.
NFL: When the Rams were in St. Louis, they were the main NFL team. Nowadays, it's Bears, Chiefs (moreso on the Missouri side), Packers, Patriots, Cowboys, Broncos, Steelers, Cardinals (once based in St. Louis), and assorted teams. This region had a fairly significant NFL loyalty drop-off.
NCAAF: Mizzou dominates, but Illini is a decent 2nd. Others: Alabama, Florida, LSU, Ohio State, Notre Dame.
NCAAB: Illini leads here, but Mizzou has some sizable support, as do SLU. SIUE and/or SIUC support also not uncommon. Others: Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Kansas, Gonzaga.
Soccer: EPL is most supported league, with ManUtd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool leading the way from that league. Real Madrid and Barcelona from La Liga have decent support among soccer fans. In addition, Juventus and AC Milan from Serie A, and Bayern and possibly Dortmund from the Bundesliga also are supported among soccer fans. MLS support is basically non-existent, at least until St. Louis ever gets a team. There is also a small pocket of Liga MX support, with Chivas and Club América leading the way.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 02:01:11 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2017, 02:03:03 PM by Old School Republican »

NBA:  97% Blazers, 3% other
NFL: Probably 50% Seahawks, 50% other
MLB: Dont Know
NCAA: 60% Ducks , 35% Beavers, 5% Other
SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 02:29:10 PM »

NFL: Philadelphia Eagles
MLB: Philadelphia Phillies
NBA: Philadelphia 76ers
NHL: Philadelphia Flyers
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 02:34:12 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2017, 03:16:59 PM by Lechasseur »

NFL: New Orleans Saints
MLB: 3-way fight between the Texas Rangers, the Houston Astros and the Atlanta Braves, with some Yankees and Cubs fans as well
NBA: New Orleans Pelicans
NHL: not popular down here
College Sports: LSU
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 02:37:27 PM »

Curious: for those who leave out college sports, are college sports just not popular at all in your area?  Or are you just not sure on the numbers?

Thanks for the responses so far!
SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 02:40:43 PM »

are college sports just not popular at all in your area?

I don't know for sure, but they don't seem to be. I think Northeasterners in general care more about professional sports.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 03:22:20 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2017, 03:36:39 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Curious: for those who leave out college sports, are college sports just not popular at all in your area?  Or are you just not sure on the numbers?

The few people in New York who care about college football like Notre Dame, Syracuse, (and supposedly Michigan in the classier circles). Obviously tons of Rutgers fans in my breeding grounds who are really super passionate even though my family was for Princeton. Their passion never bothered me since it's borderline cute that they expect results. Philadelphia is even more of a pro-town - Temple has pretty bad attendance for a team with their successes in recent years, and the sizable Penn Staters are total wagoners yet somehow infinitely more annoying than either Notre Dame and Rutgers.

The famous map of college football fandom also includes Florida precincts, but I've never encountered that (perhaps retirees with a second house down there? ha. Doubt they have the Facebook accounts - or population size - to account for that).

In basketball, the life blood of the Big East remains ever present in Midtown while UNC and Duke fans also exist, especially in the upper class. Unsurprising given the state of professional basketball in New York for decades, this is the one college sport that can remain popular; after all the city was the center of the game for decades before it was forcibly removed. Syracuse remains the waning top dog to an extent. Nova/Duke/UNC/UConn probably fight for #2 while the Johnnies are in eternal slumber.

Though the Sixers have more popularity than they could ever deserve, college basketball remains on equal footing. Villanova, Temple and St. Joe's all have rather sizable fan bases, but the Hagan trashbin is a bit limiting for St. Joe's and the other two take a giant slice of the fans. Unlike in football, Rutgers has no popularity across the stretch of 95 between the cities. In Philadelphia, there is much less presence from outsider teams than New York of course, but Hoyas, Heels and Blue Devils will be found.

Not to insult the thread idea, Tom, but this is mildly dull on account of geography creating logical answers. The thing I was hoping to see was rankings across professional sports to show what is most important to each area (while football is almost certainly most popular everywhere, what I mean is what is a higher deviation from the norm). This is a most interesting study when it comes to Boston due to their enormous recent successes. Probably still goes Pats - Sawx - B's - Celtics in rather ordinary order, but I can't be certain. I'd be tempted to put college hockey before either of the other two though BC and Harvard football do draw.

In New York, I find MLB to at least as big an affair as the local football fandoms even as it tails off slightly, followed by hockey, college basketball, basketball and finally, college football. (e: Oh and soccer has overtaken the bottom 2-4 but I am no longer in tune enough to say just where it falls)

For Philadelphia, it has to be Eagles dominating the town (ugh) followed by NBA, college basketball, and then I'm not too sure. Probably Phillies, college football, Flyers in that order though the relatively few Flyers fans are obviously super passionate in their fandom, above and beyond the two above. I can make another thread for this if you dislike my hijacking Smiley
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 04:31:05 PM »

Curious: for those who leave out college sports, are college sports just not popular at all in your area?  Or are you just not sure on the numbers?

The American fetish with sports in school is amazing for an European. I once visited an American high school (it was one of the wealthiest towns in the US though, so that probably explains it) and the sports fields were insane. My Dutch high school had 3 ugly gyms and for outdoors PE classes we used the local football field (with carcinogenic rubber granulate, love you too school Smiley). Dutch schools still beat American schools.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 04:34:57 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2017, 04:37:48 PM by Santander »

Curious: for those who leave out college sports, are college sports just not popular at all in your area?  Or are you just not sure on the numbers?

The American fetish with sports in school is amazing for an European. I once visited an American high school (it was one of the wealthiest towns in the US though, so that probably explains it) and the sports fields were insane. My Dutch high school had 3 ugly gyms and for outdoors PE classes we used the local football field (with carcinogenic rubber granulate, love you too school Smiley). Dutch schools still beat American schools.

Americans are not alone in loving school sport if you exclude college sports, which do indeed enjoy a unique quasi-professional following. And then you have Texas, where the totally-not-racist "fiscally responsible" white folk build abominations like this:

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/high-school/get-a-first-look-inside-katys-70m-legacy-stadium/465321000
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 04:36:48 PM »

Basketball: Celtics>Others
Baseball: Red Sox>Yankees>Others
Football: Patriots>Giants>Others
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 04:43:32 PM »

My dad has a very good friend who is Slovakian, and he always comments on how strange it is to Europeans, haha.  What's more is that, IMO, some of the craziest individual fan bases in American sports are definitely college ones.  The passion of, say, Kentucky basketball fans or Nebraska football fans is truly astounding.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 06:15:12 PM »

The Buckeyes (football of course) by FAR.

The Blue Jackets a distant but respectable second.

After that it drops way way off to a scattered field of support for the various Ohio professional teams, plus Ohio University football and OSU men's basketball.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 06:45:15 PM »

Huskers, to a disgusting level.  Creighton, UNO, Iowa, Iowa State also.

MLB-normal mix.  A few more Cards and Cubs.
NFL-lots of Chiefs fans, plus normal mix.  Lean Broncos, Vikings and Bears heavy.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 08:59:50 PM »

College: Ohio State, Kent State, and U Akron

MLB: Indians

NBA: Cavs

NFL: Surprising amount of Steelers fans. Browns fandom is vestigial down here.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 09:46:49 PM »

NFL: Surprising amount of Steelers fans. Browns fandom is vestigial down here.
It's got to be hard to be an NFL fan in the state of Ohio....both teams are perpetual train wrecks.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2017, 10:34:38 PM »

Warriors, Giants and Niners
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2017, 10:53:45 PM »

Warriors, A's, and Raiders

anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2017, 11:15:41 PM »

A bit dated, but Facebook used to make some pretty interesting maps for this that broke it down to the county level. They had them for the NFL, MLB, and NCAAB.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2017, 12:01:52 AM »

Ohio State Buckeyes. F[inks] the NFL, college ball rules.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2017, 12:04:49 AM »

NHL: Senators
CFL: Redblacks
NBA: Raptors
MLB: Blue Jays
NFL: who care
Pages: [1] 2