How would a " President Hillary Clinton" would be doing now? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 10:48:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How would a " President Hillary Clinton" would be doing now? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would a " President Hillary Clinton" would be doing now?  (Read 2234 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: August 18, 2017, 09:37:04 PM »

Warmongering, grand bargains with the Republicans to screw over ordinary people, and lots of investigations.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 07:32:01 AM »

The only real difference, substantively speaking, would be the Court.

Gorsuch wouldn't be on the bench obviously.  Whether the seat would still be vacant or not would've depended on how the Senate races ended up.

It would not be the "only" significant difference, but it would be the most significant difference.

But I think you and Lincoln Republican underestimate the willingness of certain moderate Republican Senators to vote to confirm a Supreme Court nominee picked by a Democratic President. Back in 2009-2010, both Susan Collins and Lindsey Graham voted to confirm Sotomayor and Kagan. Lamar Alexander also voted to confirm Sotomayor. Lisa Murkowski, it seems to me, would be even more likely these days to cooperate with a Democratic President, including Hilary Clinton, than she had been back in 2009-2010. All it would take is two Republicans voting "yes" to confirm along with King, Sanders, and all the Democrats, then it would be up to Vice President Kaine to break the tie.

This would be the first time since the 1960s that the Supreme Court had a liberal majority on it, and that is VERY significant.

I think you missed the part where Obama nominated a moderate hero last year.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 08:13:21 PM »

The only real difference, substantively speaking, would be the Court.

Gorsuch wouldn't be on the bench obviously.  Whether the seat would still be vacant or not would've depended on how the Senate races ended up.

It would not be the "only" significant difference, but it would be the most significant difference.

But I think you and Lincoln Republican underestimate the willingness of certain moderate Republican Senators to vote to confirm a Supreme Court nominee picked by a Democratic President. Back in 2009-2010, both Susan Collins and Lindsey Graham voted to confirm Sotomayor and Kagan. Lamar Alexander also voted to confirm Sotomayor. Lisa Murkowski, it seems to me, would be even more likely these days to cooperate with a Democratic President, including Hilary Clinton, than she had been back in 2009-2010. All it would take is two Republicans voting "yes" to confirm along with King, Sanders, and all the Democrats, then it would be up to Vice President Kaine to break the tie.

This would be the first time since the 1960s that the Supreme Court had a liberal majority on it, and that is VERY significant.

I think you missed the part where Obama nominated a moderate hero last year.

A moderate hero who would have upheld abortion rights, gay marriage and Obamacare.

A moderate hero who was still blocked, and before the election Republicans were talking about blocking for another 4 years if Hillary won.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/clinton-wins-gop-say-no-9-supreme-court/
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies