Republicans who won't say if they endorse Trump 2020 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:02:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Republicans who won't say if they endorse Trump 2020 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republicans who won't say if they endorse Trump 2020 megathread  (Read 832 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2017, 07:59:51 PM »
« edited: August 24, 2017, 10:12:57 PM by Mr. Morden »

https://www.rollcall.com/news/opinion/bob-corker-donald-trump-renomination

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Here's a question: Are there *any* current Republican Senators who, right now in 2017, would say on the record that they want Trump to be the party's nominee again in 2020?  I'm sure if you asked Senate Dems the same question about Obama in 2009, many/most would have said that of course they want him as the nominee again next time around, but is there anyone in the Senate right now who'd say the same of Trump?

I mean, Trump has already launched his 2020 campaign, so I'm assuming he'd be happy to take endorsements, if anyone was offering them.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 08:09:23 PM »

Would be interesting if Trump endorses Corker's primary challenger. 
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 09:05:32 PM »

I'd say maybe Tom Cotton might go on record. He seems to be the most pro-Trump senator.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 09:21:17 PM »

Further proof Trump is goin to jail boyos!
You keep running around saying that, but saying it a lot doesn't make it true.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 09:57:41 AM »

What a fence-straddler!  Awesome!

Trump's record as President, as far as the bulk of the GOP is concerned is that they support what he's trying to do; it's his words and his style that they don't like.  Who's Bob Corker to moralize on Trump?  He's the same Bob Corker who ran a campaign ad against Harold Ford, Jr. in 2006 depicting a young white woman handing a black male who resembled Ford her phone number on a piece of paper and said, "Call me!" in a sultry voice.  He's Bob Corker; he approved that message, did he not?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 10:15:21 PM »

I originally made this thread just for Corker, but looks like other Republicans in Congress are getting asked this same question now, so I've repurposed the thread for all of them.  Latest is Will Hurd...

http://dailycaller.com/2017/08/24/rep-hurd-on-trump-2020-its-a-really-long-ways-away-video/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 10:36:16 PM »

Relatedly, Jeff Flake says Trump is inviting a primary challenge with his current behavior:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sen-jeff-flake-says-trump-is-inviting-a-primary-challenge/
anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 10:53:48 PM »

Is there anything that this is comparable to? It's stunning to me just how fast this happened. Has any president seen sitting congressmen show public support for a primary challenge less than a year into his term?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 11:05:59 PM »

Is there anything that this is comparable to? It's stunning to me just how fast this happened. Has any president seen sitting congressmen show public support for a primary challenge less than a year into his term?

Well, I don't think Jim Jeffords was a huge George W. Bush fan, for example.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 11:22:39 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2017, 11:30:29 PM by MarkD »

What a fence-straddler!  Awesome!

Trump's record as President, as far as the bulk of the GOP is concerned is that they support what he's trying to do; it's his words and his style that they don't like.  Who's Bob Corker to moralize on Trump?  He's the same Bob Corker who ran a campaign ad against Harold Ford, Jr. in 2006 depicting a young white woman handing a black male who resembled Ford her phone number on a piece of paper and said, "Call me!" in a sultry voice.  He's Bob Corker; he approved that message, did he not?

He did not. That ad was not "ran" by the Corker campaign, it was ran by the RNC. Corker himself said that the ad was "distasteful," and "it ought to come down."
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 12:03:36 AM »

None of them have actually said that they support a primary challenge yet.  They just say that they're agnostic....that is, that they're not sure who they'll support yet.  Usually, this question isn't even asked, as no one is contemplating it.  No one bothered to ask sitting Democratic members of Congress back in 2009 if they would support Obama's re-nomination in 2012, but I'm guessing that if this question had been put to them, then many/most of them would have said that yes, they'd like to see Obama run for a second term.  But I'm guessing that some would say something like "Why are you asking about an election so many years in the future?"

Of course, Trump invited this talk himself by launching his 2020 reelection campaign in 2017.  No president has ever officially started their reelection campaign so early.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 09:44:56 AM »

What a fence-straddler!  Awesome!

Trump's record as President, as far as the bulk of the GOP is concerned is that they support what he's trying to do; it's his words and his style that they don't like.  Who's Bob Corker to moralize on Trump?  He's the same Bob Corker who ran a campaign ad against Harold Ford, Jr. in 2006 depicting a young white woman handing a black male who resembled Ford her phone number on a piece of paper and said, "Call me!" in a sultry voice.  He's Bob Corker; he approved that message, did he not?

He did not. That ad was not "ran" by the Corker campaign, it was ran by the RNC. Corker himself said that the ad was "distasteful," and "it ought to come down."

If that's the case, I apologize to Bob Corker, and shame on the RNC.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies