How do you feel about Ford's decision to pardon Nixon?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:30:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How do you feel about Ford's decision to pardon Nixon?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Was Ford right or wrong to pardon Nixon?
Ford was right.

Ford was wrong.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: How do you feel about Ford's decision to pardon Nixon?  (Read 2352 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2017, 08:53:49 PM »

Was Ford right or wrong to pardon Nixon? Was it a corrupt bargain?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 08:58:55 PM »

It was the right thing to do. Today's politicians make Nixon look like a Boy Scout.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 09:28:38 PM »

It was morally wrong and set a disastrous precedent that guaranteed Iran-Contra and everything since would be swept under the rug. Possibly the worst non-military decision a post-WWII President has made.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 09:42:26 PM »

Ford was an enabler.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 09:46:11 PM »

In hindsight, it was the wrong decision, but I have no doubt Ford earnestly believed it was right, so I can't fault him.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 10:31:36 PM »

It was a right and courageous act that defined the man as someone who did what was right, not what was popular.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 11:07:57 PM »

As bad as it was, It was the right thing to do. This country would've literally torn itself apart if Nixon stood trial and Ford wouldn't have been able to govern the country at all (and he was barely able to even with the pardon) had he not done so and this was his main reasoning for pardoning Nixon in the first place. Keep in mind we had inflation and at the same time had  what was at the time the worst economic recession since the great depression from 1973-1975, all of which would most likely be worse had the country been pre occupied with Watergate and a trial.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 12:12:52 AM »

As bad as it was, It was the right thing to do. This country would've literally torn itself apart if Nixon stood trial and Ford wouldn't have been able to govern the country at all (and he was barely able to even with the pardon) had he not done so and this was his main reasoning for pardoning Nixon in the first place. Keep in mind we had inflation and at the same time had  what was at the time the worst economic recession since the great depression from 1973-1975, all of which would most likely be worse had the country been pre occupied with Watergate and a trial.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 06:52:26 AM »

It set the precedent that POTUS is a figure that operates above the law. Not good!

All the defences of it deeply disturb me in their implication.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 07:45:46 AM »

It set the precedent that POTUS is a figure that operates above the law. Not good!

This, although I do agree that there are positive sides to it. It might've helped unite the country, but the law is one of the most important pillars of democracy.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 07:52:57 AM »

It was the right thing to do. Today's politicians make Nixon look like a Boy Scout.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 06:16:00 PM »

This country would've literally torn itself apart if Nixon stood trial

I hear this yet there's never a "why" and "how" given. Do people really think the country would have literally collapsed over trying a corrupt President?
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 06:41:53 PM »

I hear this yet there's never a "why" and "how" given. Do people really think the country would have literally collapsed over trying a corrupt President?

There were a decent number of Archie Bunker types that defended Nixon to the very end and would've continued to defend him, causing even more problems. On top of that, as  I said
Ford wouldn't have been able to govern the country at all (and he was barely able to even with the pardon) had he not done so and this was his main reasoning for pardoning Nixon in the first place. Keep in mind we had inflation and at the same time had  what was at the time the worst economic recession since the great depression from 1973-1975, all of which would most likely be worse had the country been pre occupied with Watergate and a trial.

A Government and a Country that is still preoccupied with Watergate isn't going to be able to deal with the economic problems of the time, which were pretty dire.  This was Ford's reasoning behind the pardon. Ford had nothing to gain from pardon and might've done even worse in 1976 had he  not pardoned him, as all the other problems would've gone unsolved and he would be blamed.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 06:54:26 PM »

Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 10:38:16 PM »

There were a decent number of Archie Bunker types that defended Nixon to the very end and would've continued to defend him, causing even more problems. On top of that, as  I said
Ford wouldn't have been able to govern the country at all (and he was barely able to even with the pardon) had he not done so and this was his main reasoning for pardoning Nixon in the first place. Keep in mind we had inflation and at the same time had  what was at the time the worst economic recession since the great depression from 1973-1975, all of which would most likely be worse had the country been pre occupied with Watergate and a trial.

A Government and a Country that is still preoccupied with Watergate isn't going to be able to deal with the economic problems of the time, which were pretty dire.  This was Ford's reasoning behind the pardon. Ford had nothing to gain from pardon and might've done even worse in 1976 had he  not pardoned him, as all the other problems would've gone unsolved and he would be blamed.

Another big problem would be if Nixon knew he was going down, he would drag down every nasty SOB with him he could. Think of Nixon releasing 25 years of his intel on his enemies that he had gotten from his dirty tricks. It would get really ugly fast.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 04:19:47 AM »

All the defences of it deeply disturb me in their implication.
Our culture is one of respect, one of honor. The trial of Richard Nixon would have led to a partial judge, jury, and sentencing, as well as a destruction of the perception of the office of the Presidency.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2017, 05:07:37 AM »

Undecided, as I can understand both sides. Nixon definitely deserved some punishment for his actions and the cover-up, but the question is whether resigning in disgrace and him being not remembered as a great president is a greater punishment than going to jail. In the end, I think Ford made to right decision for himself, to put an end to Watergate and move on in difficult times. But President Ford definitely deserved reelection in 1976.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 01:58:20 PM »

Right decision
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 02:03:47 PM »

I don't know.  The arguments on both sides are excellent.  My gut leans right, my head leans wrong.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 02:15:43 PM »

The correct decision.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 03:01:38 PM »

Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 03:07:03 PM »

Today's politicians make Nixon look like a Boy Scout.
I'm going to have to disagree pretty strongly on this point. I am fairly certain it is not routine for politicians to employ wiretaps, burglary, libel, treason, and hired thugs to win elections, either in Nixon's time or in ours. The portrayal of the Watergate break-in as an isolated incident that brought down a heroic and honest man is a gross distortion, given that Nixon had been engineering obviously unethical and borderline illegal "dirty tricks" for decades before the '72 election. I can understand why  someone of your politics might admire him in spite of this, because Nixon did represent the first coming of the anti-elitist, "law and order" conservatism most recently revived by the Trump campaign, but he was clearly a crook unmatched in stature.

To the question raised by the OP, I am of the opinion that Ford did more damage to the country with his pardon than the prospect of a former president on trial ever could have, for the reason Crabcake mentions: it set the precedent that politicians are above the law and began the erosion of public faith in government that continues to this day. At least, had Nixon been brought to court, it would have symbolized a willingness by Washington to hold itself accountable.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 03:17:39 PM »

Today's politicians make Nixon look like a Boy Scout.
I'm going to have to disagree pretty strongly on this point. I am fairly certain it is not routine for politicians to employ wiretaps, burglary, libel, treason, and hired thugs to win elections, either in Nixon's time or in ours. The portrayal of the Watergate break-in as an isolated incident that brought down a heroic and honest man is a gross distortion, given that Nixon had been engineering obviously unethical and borderline illegal "dirty tricks" for decades before the '72 election. I can understand why  someone of your politics might admire him in spite of this, because Nixon did represent the first coming of the anti-elitist, "law and order" conservatism most recently revived by the Trump campaign, but he was clearly a crook unmatched in stature.

To the question raised by the OP, I am of the opinion that Ford did more damage to the country with his pardon than the prospect of a former president on trial ever could have, for the reason Crabcake mentions: it set the precedent that politicians are above the law and began the erosion of public faith in government that continues to this day. At least, had Nixon been brought to court, it would have symbolized a willingness by Washington to hold itself accountable.

The question here is not one of morality, but of compassion, for the nation and Nixon: Do you believe that Nixon's jury and judge could have, by any means, been impartial as to his guilt or innocence prior to his trial? If so, do you believe that Ford's Profile in Courage, presented to him by Ted Kennedy himself, is then undeserved?

Our justice system declares fair and equal justice for all men, but not to the expense of all others. The nation "forgave" and eventually agreed with Ford. To quote his successor, "Thank my predecessor for all he did to heal our land." This was not a decision of partiality, but rather the highest degree of impartiality and sense of right and wrong, one not held by any modern President, before or since.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 05:15:51 PM »

The question here is not one of morality, but of compassion, for the nation and Nixon: Do you believe that Nixon's jury and judge could have, by any means, been impartial as to his guilt or innocence prior to his trial? If so, do you believe that Ford's Profile in Courage, presented to him by Ted Kennedy himself, is then undeserved?
I'm sure Ford felt he was doing the right thing, but that's not really the point. Nixon had obviously broken the law, and everyone knew it. If, to quote another president, an important public figure were to "stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot someone," it would probably be true that most prospective jurors would have an opinion as to the defendant's guilt — not because they would be insufficiently impartial, but because the facts of the case would be a matter of public record. To fail to prosecute obvious lawbreaking because it is obvious is a failure of justice, plain and simple.

But to answer your question: I don't think it was impossible for Nixon to get a fair trial. I don't know if Ford's Profile in Courage was undeserved, because the decision was obviously courageous — but then, so was Robert E. Lee's decision to resign from the U.S. Army and join the Confederacy. Ultimately, I think the greatest effect of Ford's Pardon was to deny the nation an opportunity to resolve the controversy and ill feelings raised by Watergate according to the firm and reasonable standard of the Law. It was a deus ex machina that sought to rescue the country by saving it the responsibility of making hard choices, and whether "compassionate" or not, I don't think that was a good thing.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 05:19:44 PM »

Absolutely the wrong decision. It gave cover to the sins of future presidents.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies