ME-Sen-How is LePage a good candidate? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:27:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME-Sen-How is LePage a good candidate? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ME-Sen-How is LePage a good candidate?  (Read 3221 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« on: August 20, 2017, 02:40:08 PM »

we are talking about a governor with a -1 approval gonna win against a top 10 most popular senator(Angus King)?
Okay the fact is he was supposed to lose last time yet he won he is sort of like Scott walker I really believe he is a strong candidate he won twice State wide what else do you need to know.

It's not that simple.  LePage won both times with less than 50% due to the presence of a strong Independent candidate, Eliot Cutler, who almost certainly took more votes from the Democrat.  In a two-way race, LePage would probably have lost at least one of those elections.

2010:

LePage (R) 38%
Cutler (I) 36%
Mitchell (D) 19%

2014:

LePage (R) 48%
Michaud (D) 43%
Cutler (I) 8%

Cutler has said that he would not run for Governor again.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 09:23:38 AM »

we are talking about a governor with a -1 approval gonna win against a top 10 most popular senator(Angus King)?

anytime a 2 term governor who isn't crazy unpopular considers a run hes a top recruit.

In April, Morning Consult had LePage's approval at 48/49, making him one of only a handful of governors with underwater approval.  Source
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 09:33:52 AM »

anytime a 2 term governor who isn't crazy unpopular considers a run hes a top recruit.

In April, Morning Consult had LePage's approval at 48/49, making him one of only a handful of governors with underwater approval.  Source

Cool story. hes within the margin of error of being approved by over half of voters, has high name ID and has been elected two times. thats a good candidate for a senate seat anywhere.

Well, by those standards, Richard Nixon would have been a good candidate in early 1974. Smiley  I suspect that Angus King would be delighted to run against LePage.  (FWIW, King's approval in the same Morning Consult survey was 67/23, or +44 vs LePage's -1.  Senate rankings)
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 01:22:07 PM »

Cool story. hes within the margin of error of being approved by over half of voters, has high name ID and has been elected two times. thats a good candidate for a senate seat anywhere.

Well, by those standards, Richard Nixon would have been a good candidate in early 1974. Smiley  I suspect that Angus King would be delighted to run against LePage.  (FWIW, King's approval in the same Morning Consult survey was 67/23, or +44 vs LePage's -1.  Senate rankings)

Comparing Nixon to LePage is idiocy. Nixon's approval rating was high 20s in early 74.

This isnt a discussion of who would win (King would win) its "how is LePage a good candidate" hes a good candidate because hes a 2 term governor who isn't unpopular... its not that hard

OK, let's make it the Spring of 1973 for Nixon; he was still in the upper 40's then.  I just don't think the characterization of LePage as a good candidate is true.  A plausible candidate, sure, for the reasons you mentioned.  But he's too controversial to be a good one.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 07:10:35 PM »

More LePageness:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies