NPR/Marist/PBS poll: 6/10 Americans against removal of Confederate Statues
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:45:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NPR/Marist/PBS poll: 6/10 Americans against removal of Confederate Statues
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: NPR/Marist/PBS poll: 6/10 Americans against removal of Confederate Statues  (Read 2797 times)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2017, 03:54:35 PM »

Latinos are much more supportive of White Nationalism than any other group.  Trump is getting to them.

I personally believe the Confederate monuments should be removed, and be put in a museum. Period.

Other than that, America has more important issues to discuss like jobs, taxes, race, etc.

Bronz, I apologize, Greenline will now take your place as worst moderate poster
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2017, 03:56:56 PM »

I think only the true racists care about this kind of stuff.

Part of why the coverage on this issue is so out of whack is that the mainstream right is basically apathetic, and rightfully so. Large segments of the left are all energized to do something, and of course the white nationalists who love the Confederacy are angry. The results of this poll indicating that a huge percentage of the population does not favor removing the statues do not surprise me; these people aren't the kinds of folks who are going to care enough to speak up about it.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 12:22:49 AM »

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2017, 07:51:13 AM »

I mean,
Those who so deeply want to keep them, sorry for the confusion.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2017, 03:16:47 PM »

You don't know anything about me.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2017, 03:18:56 PM »

Well if you want to keep this kind of things in that case I would know you're a racist.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2017, 03:21:24 PM »

I dont remember learning about Confederates at all, except Lee, who is usually portrayed in a positive light.  Jefferson Davis is certainly not respected in the North.

Those names are being scratched out of textbooks as we speak.  All is well.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2017, 03:51:25 PM »

Well if you want to keep this kind of things in that case I would know you're a racist.

Then by that logic, you have a french avatar which means I know you do inappropriate sexual things with donkeys. See, I can draw bs insulting comparisons between separate issues too, donkey fondler.

Seriously though, making sweeping claims like you did is extremely ignorant, insulting, and a contributing factor to the rise of Trump.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2017, 04:05:11 PM »

*looks at my brown skin*
*looks at family heritage, which includes those who were slaves*

Yep, super racist.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2017, 04:28:13 PM »

Then by that logic, you have a french avatar which means I know you do inappropriate sexual things with donkeys. See, I can draw bs insulting comparisons between separate issues too, donkey fondler.

Seriously though, making sweeping claims like you did is extremely ignorant, insulting, and a contributing factor to the rise of Trump.

Trump won because he managed to use racial resentment at his advantage, not because of some french internet posters lol.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2017, 05:22:41 PM »

This is why police shootings will never end.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2017, 05:29:08 PM »

This goes doubly so when the jihadists are ripping down the statues.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2017, 01:41:51 PM »

I personally believe the Confederate monuments should be removed, and be put in a museum. Period.

Other than that, America has more important issues to discuss like jobs, taxes, race, etc.

This. 100%
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2017, 04:23:57 PM »

The history behind these men and especially the Civil War has been incredibly white washed and desensitized. This result is not surprising.
Not sure what they teach you guys in Georgia, but some Southerners don't get our history whitewashed. We just don't shame ourselves for what some people's ancestors* did generations ago, unlike the Germans.

*Not all of mine - one was poisoned because he was elected to go to the Arkansas secession gathering, and he made it clear he was not only opposed to secession, but some reports indicate he opposed the expansion of slavery - a very, very radical view considering his time and place, which I think we should consider.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2017, 10:47:28 PM »

The history behind these men and especially the Civil War has been incredibly white washed and desensitized. This result is not surprising.
^this

I expect the opinions on the statues to change dramatically if White supremacists continue to utilize them as rallying points to express their views.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2017, 04:14:34 AM »

Trump won because he managed to use racial resentment at his advantage, not because of some french internet posters lol.

We all know France is the cause of all evil in the world.

Or maybe I have just been reading Concert of Europe too much. Tongue
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2017, 08:15:11 AM »

have you even read the thread? the OP?  The title of the thread even?  Anything?

You just called 60% of Americans racists...now, with the silly stereotypes you Euros have about Americans (I'm a rapping cowboy!) that might make sense to you....but you also called 44% of black Americans racist.  I doubt that fits the stereotype.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2017, 02:33:27 PM »

I find it interesting that 7% of Latinos agree with White Nationalists according to this poll. And that the Northeast and West had more folks who agree with White Nationalists than the South. Similar numbers for those who agree with the Alt-Right.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2017, 03:36:26 PM »

I find it interesting that 7% of Latinos agree with White Nationalists according to this poll. And that the Northeast and West had more folks who agree with White Nationalists than the South. Similar numbers for those who agree with the Alt-Right.
The northeast and to a lesser extent the west can be every bit as racist as the south.  It's a different kind of racism sure, but it's still very much there.

And Hispanics can hate blacks and Jews just as easy as a white guy, why would you think any different?  Bigots come in all sorts of colors.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2017, 03:40:06 PM »

He won because Americans basically acted like French people.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2017, 03:40:49 PM »

The northeast and to a lesser extent the west can be every bit as racist as the south.  It's a different kind of racism sure, but it's still very much there.

And Hispanics can hate blacks and Jews just as easy as a white guy, why would you think any different?  Bigots come in all sorts of colors.
Oh no I totally believe that this is true. It just goes against the common idea of the white Southerner being the last vestige of racism in the United States.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2017, 04:24:52 PM »

I had a long talk about this with my dad (lifelong Northerner, favorite President is Lincoln, adamant that the war was about slavery, etc.), and I kind of came around to his view.  If it were up to me personally, (some of) these statues would have never gone up.  I have zero sympathy for the Confederacy and have always found it strange that any modern day Southerners - with all they have to be proud of about their region - feel some "connection" to a group of traitors and rebels who happened by pure coincidence to hail from the same geographic territory that the modern American South sits on ... people in Massachusetts don't feel a connection to the folks who were behind Shay's Rebellion, do they?  My PERSONAL OPINION - in a perfect world - would be that we should move on from the Civil War and wipe anything glorifying the Confederacy from public grounds.  Another thing that has plssed me off about all of this is the politicization of this debate.  Somehow we have allowed there to be a "left" and "right" where there just shouldn't be.  "Do you support being overly PC?!  If not, you'd sympathize with celebrating Confederate figures."  The Confederacy has taken on a "rural, small town, conservative" flavor in the last 30 years that it never (exclusively) had and never should have achieved.  When I see "rednecks" in Northern states driving around with Confederate flags, it astounds me.  There were plenty of culturally conservative, small town folks who were proudly "country" in Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Kentucky, Vermont, you name it, who took up arms to fight for their Union in the Civil War.  The idea that the Union was some less hokey, less nationalistic, more "progressive" force than the Confederacy is a bastardization of history.

Anyway, end rant: However, all of that is different than supporting people vandalizing these statues or vehemently calling those who oppose their removal - for one reason or another - reflexively racist.  If localities want to bring these statues down, they should do so in a lawful manner when public support is behind it. 
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2017, 06:42:41 PM »

It is really is unfortunate that there has not been an effort to develop symbology for the South that isn't tainted by Confederate history.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2017, 07:40:45 AM »

Oh no I totally believe that this is true. It just goes against the common idea of the white Southerner being the last vestige of racism in the United States.
ahhh, yes.  That conventional wisdom should die like the CSA did.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2017, 09:14:13 AM »

It is really is unfortunate that there has not been an effort to develop symbology for the South that isn't tainted by Confederate history.

This x1,000.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies