Will she or won't she? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:38:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Will she or won't she? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is Elizabeth Warren going to run?
Yes.
Yes, but she's gonna quite before Iowa.
No.
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Will she or won't she?  (Read 2465 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: August 20, 2017, 10:02:18 PM »

I hope not, she'll give Donald a second term.

lololol...this sounds awfully familiar, like when Jimmy Carter's 1980 campaign manager Pat Cadell said that Ronald Reagan would be easy to defeat:

Keep running middle of the road trash if you want to choke like a dog and lose 2020
Thanks, Mondale and McGovern.

This isn't the 70s and 80s anymore. It's the 21st century, and rallying y9ur base is the only way to win in the US. Progressives are usually very good at that.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 10:02:47 PM »

So will your hero.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 10:29:19 PM »

lololol...this sounds awfully familiar, like when Jimmy Carter's 1980 campaign manager Pat Cadell said that Ronald Reagan would be easy to defeat:

Keep running middle of the road trash if you want to choke like a dog and lose 2020
Reagan was also very charismatic, something Warren lacks. Reagan talked circles around Carter, while Warren lacks that type of energy.

Also, like others have said, look at McGovern and Mondale. Two people who ran as uber-progressives, lost in landslides.

Sorry that my centrism pissed you off so much that you broke into a fit of rage at the end of your ramble. :/

Joe Manchin? I don't think Joe Manchin will run, or even wants to run.

This is not the 70s or 80s anymore, in case you hadn't noticed. Centrism does not work anymore, and 2016 proved that. Hillary tried to run middle of the road; she picked frickin' Tim Kaine as her running mate. And she lost. Jon Ossoff ran as Republican-lite. He was supposed to be the great Democratic saviour. And he lost.

And if your hero were to run, then there would be a left wing third party challenge, guaranteed, unless he shifts sharply leftwards on Wall Street, healthcare and education.

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 06:23:12 PM »

Hopefully not. We need somebody with a broader appeal who can crush the Donald by massive numbers. Liz Warren is not that person.

Sorry, I don't buy the broader appeal tning. It's nonexistent in the US. Stop chasing Republican votes and go after Democrats instead. How's that for a novel idea?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 06:31:15 PM »

Sorry, I don't buy the broader appeal tning. It's nonexistent in the US. Stop chasing Republican votes and go after Democrats instead. How's that for a novel idea?

It comes with the territory of having the Electoral College elect Presidents.

You need to excite the progressive base in the US. Wareen can do that. Hillary couldn't. Maybe Democrats need to start chasing their own base before touting the backing of Henry Kissinger.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 06:41:18 PM »

It comes with the territory of having the Electoral College elect Presidents.

You need to excite the progressive base in the US. Wareen can do that. Hillary couldn't. Maybe Democrats need to start chasing their own base before touting the backing of Henry Kissinger.

That assumes there is a large enough progressive base to win off.  My understanding of the US is it is a fairly conservative country and a lot of Americans believe in American exceptionalism so anything that is seen as making the US more like Europe (or as a matter of fact Canada too) tends to be a tough sell.

Did you see Bernie's campaign or were you distracted by a bumblebee?

A lot of that base is going to be young voters and blue-collar workers from the industrial states. That is the base Democrats need to excite, or they're going to lose again and again.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies