How does political polarization manifest itself socially or in our daily lives? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:17:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How does political polarization manifest itself socially or in our daily lives? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How does political polarization manifest itself socially or in our daily lives?  (Read 3046 times)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« on: August 21, 2017, 10:27:44 AM »

I think pillarized is a much better word to describe modern American politics than polarized. Pillarized was a term used to describe Dutch society in the early to mid 20th century. People were grouped into pillars, based on their profession, wealth, and their political preference and there was little interaction outside of one's own pillar. I think this idea can be applied to America in a similar way, with party preference, race, wealth, and geography forming the basic four categories.

You could set them up like this:

Black--Democratic--Working Class--Deep South
White--Republican--Lower Middle Class--Deep South
White--Democratic--Upper Middle Class--West Coast
Black--Democratic--Upper Middle Class--Beltway
White--Swing--Working Class--Northern Midwest

And so on. Religion could be added too, but that's not as prominent as it was in decades past.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 02:49:07 PM »

In 1960 about 5% of Americans said they would be upset if their child married someone of the opposite political party.

In 2010 that percentage was 40%.

In 1960, both parties were basically white. Now, one is basically white and the other is mostly not. The numbers you cite are not because of disagreements on statutory corporate tax rates.
No, Democrats are still over 50% white
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 09:15:17 PM »

I live in a conservative zone and honestly here we treat the Democrat as a plague, I would never have a relationship with a Democrat woman, her views and debauchery would be unacceptable to me.
This is art

The Republican party has 26 state trifectas. So the Democratic plague is being cleansed from large portions of the country.
Thanks moderation! Great job

(Except TG)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies