How does political polarization manifest itself socially or in our daily lives? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:52:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How does political polarization manifest itself socially or in our daily lives? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How does political polarization manifest itself socially or in our daily lives?  (Read 3036 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« on: August 21, 2017, 02:52:15 PM »

I'm an Obama 2012/Trump 2016 voter, and a moderate independent who's a registered Republican.

At work, I'm with a very diverse crew, most of them black.  I don't discuss politics with folks at the office because if I were to say I was a Trump voter, at least some of them would get the wrong idea.  I live in an area of Florida that is somewhat racially polarized; the integration of the schools in the 1960s didn't go down easily here, and the politics of the local community is very much about race, however unspoken.  My white co-workers now are apolitical Republicans, but I had worked with a guy who listened to Limbaugh all day, called me a RINO, and once referred to my Mom and Dad (now deceased) who were lifelong Democrats as my "leftist parents".  This guy once hounded a guy who supported a large family on only his income for applying for Food Stamps, and referred to me as a moocher because my son, who I've adopted through the Foster Care system and is Medicaid eligible.

At church (I'm an Evangelical Pentecostal Christian), I also have avoided political discussions.  Many of the black folks at my church are of Jamaican descent, and are not overtly political.  Many of them are from metropolitan areas in the Northeast, so their outlook is more modern.   The white folks at my church probably view me as a case of temporary insanity for voting for Obama in 2012.  (I told one of my brethren that I was voting for John Kerry in 2004 and he looked at me as if I needed Mental Health hospitalization.)  I also don't want to get into deep discussions.  I was talking to one of my closer friends in church, and he's a great guy, but he seriously believes that Obama was seeking to build re-education camps for people in closed military bases.  To tell him he's delusional would have caused me to lose a friend without serving a useful purpose.  

This is the world we live in.  I try to disagree agreeably, but not everyone gets the message.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 02:59:14 PM »

In 1960 about 5% of Americans said they would be upset if their child married someone of the opposite political party.

In 2010 that percentage was 40%.

In 1960, both parties were basically white. Now, one is basically white and the other is mostly not. The numbers you cite are not because of disagreements on statutory corporate tax rates.

A great way to test this further is to ask White Republicans if they'd rather their child date a White Democrat or a Black Republican. Or ask Black Democrats if they'd rather their child date a White Democrat or a Black Republican, etc.

Those results would be fascinating to see.

I don't care what race or political party the future spouses of my young son (12 years old) and my granddaughters are. 

What I do care about is that (A) they become committed Christians, and (B) they will only date and marry persons who are committed Christians.  Scripture instructs persons to "Be not unequally yoked to an unbeliever".  It is a recipe for discord when you go into a marriage with a partner and you cannot agree as to who God is and what He says.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 03:30:13 PM »

A guy who listened to Limbaugh all day, called me a RINO, and once referred to my Mom and Dad (now deceased) who were lifelong Democrats as my "leftist parents".  This guy once hounded a guy who supported a large family on only his income for applying for Food Stamps, and referred to me as a moocher because my son, who I've adopted through the Foster Care system and is Medicaid eligible.

These types are the worst. They typically bring politics up all the time and are very aggressive in presenting their (almost always delusional) views. Then they turn around and get extremely defensive/angry when anyone disagrees with them. You almost have to walk on eggshells just to avoid some kind of meltdown from them.
He's one of those folks that view all Democrats as scum. 

I grew up a Democrat and was a Democratic activist as a young man.  I've moved to the right on social issues, but I'm a labor union man and I support single payer healthcare, so I'm not a down-the-line conservative.  I don't think all Democrats hate America, but this guy does. 

This guy is really a classic Social Darwinist.  He believes he'll win any dog-eat-dog contest by sheer will and conditioning. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies