Describe the political views of your locality
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:14:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Describe the political views of your locality
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Describe the political views of your locality  (Read 1946 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 08:58:08 PM »

I basically live across a bridge from the City of Pittsburgh line, which we all know is hard core Dem voters, steel town, blah blah blah.

My suburb (sorry, BRTD) is probably one of the most conservative around.  We've elected lots of pubs.

Also, it's pretty socially conservative........believe me.

I thought you lived in Ross Twp.? If so, there are a line of inner ring suburbs between you and the Burg.

Having lived in Ross at least through 6th grade (and then an adjacent borough through high school and summers home from college), it used to lean more middle of the road. It's a pretty good example of Western PA shift rightwards. 
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2017, 10:05:53 PM »

All Liberal, All The Time

And there are some old New England conservatives but they're in the minority.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 09:10:14 AM »

I basically live across a bridge from the City of Pittsburgh line, which we all know is hard core Dem voters, steel town, blah blah blah.

My suburb (sorry, BRTD) is probably one of the most conservative around.  We've elected lots of pubs.

Also, it's pretty socially conservative........believe me.

I thought you lived in Ross Twp.? If so, there are a line of inner ring suburbs between you and the Burg.

Having lived in Ross at least through 6th grade (and then an adjacent borough through high school and summers home from college), it used to lean more middle of the road. It's a pretty good example of Western PA shift rightwards. 

Shaler, my brother.  There is one color, 2 genders, and all straights.  It is what it is.
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2017, 01:57:44 PM »

I live in Lawrence, IN, which is a city within Indianapolis.

The area is fairly Democratic, usually with about 60-40% Dem/Rep during elections. The southern part of the city usually votes about 90% Dem (it's a very poor area, 90%+ African American, low turnout). The central parts are Likely-D. My neighborhood, for example, was +10 Clinton, which is probably about the average here. A good influx of minorities (about 30% in areas), very middle class. The northern part represents some of the best parts in the Indianapolis metro (where I grew up) with the Geist Reservoir. Although very ancestrally R, it's now moderate and only very narrowly went to Trump. It's not diverse at all and high income.

Regardless, it's interesting as my area is a true melting pot and we all go to the same schools.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2017, 01:13:40 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2017, 01:17:36 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

I come from a farming community in central Michigan (Lower Peninsula--sorry, Yoopers) that is upper-middle class, as well as fairly religious and churchgoing.  It was established as a Lutheran mission to the local Indian tribes, and despite most of the population coming from a high church background (Missouri Synod Lutherans, with significant minorities of WELS and Catholics),  it is very conservative and solidly Republican.  It hardly ever goes for a Democrat except in D landslides.  And from what I've seen and heard, it seems that most of them were enthusiastically, almost rabidly, pro-Trump during the last election.  (I was the exception to that--despite my political views being more or less in line with my hometown, I was dead set against Trump and chose not to run for reelection as a GOP precinct chair because of his nomination).  It's a ruby-red island surrounded on the west side by a larger and mostly blue city; although my hometown hasn't voted D for president since FDR's first reelection in 1936, Trump was the first Republican to get my home county in a presidential election since Reagan.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2017, 08:43:52 AM »

Santa Cruz, CA is pretty liberal. Most are just typical California coastal liberals, although there are few GOPers, like my neighbor.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2017, 06:26:04 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2017, 06:29:01 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

Majority white, heavily Repulbican.  Wealthy core of white retirees, WWC struggling to be middle class (and often failing).  A Hispanic minority consisting of well-assimilated Cuban Hispanics, less well-assimilated Mexican Hispanics (many of whom are not yet citizens) and a black minority that is alienated from the mainstream to some degree, and below average in income and education.

This mix has made my locale heavily Republican.  Establishment/Business Republican, mind you, but my county did carry for Trump in the primary.  Conservative on economics down the line, generally pro-military, but some wiggle room on social issues.  Many Democrats register Republican to avoid being disenfranchised.  The only Democrats who are elected to public office are those who are elected to non-partisan offices; it's a big deal when a Republican dips under 60%.  
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2017, 08:43:16 AM »

Tons of white liberals who post BLM memes on Facebook but wouldn't be caught dead in an all black neighborhood and would most likely cross the sidewalk to the other side if there was a black guy with a doorag walking towards them. People who slam our lousy campaign finance system but would rather have the latest $20 craft beer at some hipster bar than do anything about it. Way too many annoying SJWs who go out of their way to ''collect'' certain types of people as friends as if they were accessories but are themselves over-privileged, live in the best neighborhoods, and never work (yet are still somehow depressed or faking mental illness all the time).

Best.  Post.  Ever.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2017, 09:45:47 AM »

Tons of white liberals who post BLM memes on Facebook but wouldn't be caught dead in an all black neighborhood and would most likely cross the sidewalk to the other side if there was a black guy with a doorag walking towards them. People who slam our lousy campaign finance system but would rather have the latest $20 craft beer at some hipster bar than do anything about it. Way too many annoying SJWs who go out of their way to ''collect'' certain types of people as friends as if they were accessories but are themselves over-privileged, live in the best neighborhoods, and never work (yet are still somehow depressed or faking mental illness all the time).

Best.  Post.  Ever.

^^ Yes! That's not my locality at all, but that does describe your average SJW liberal.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2017, 12:22:37 PM »

LOL. I consider myself a proud "SJW". I'm Latino, live in what some would consider to be a bad neighborhood, and barely scraping by. Your "latte liberal" narrative doesn't work.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2017, 12:27:03 PM »

LOL. I consider myself a proud "SJW". I'm Latino, live in what some would consider to be a bad neighborhood, and barely scraping by. Your "latte liberal" narrative doesn't work.

Don't misconstrue promoting social justice with being a social justice warrior. I proudly promote social justice, but the SJW liberals who're often hypocrites and ridiculous rightfully deserve to be mocked.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2017, 10:38:16 PM »

I live in Washington County, Oregon. Majority but not vastly white. Formerly a suburban Republican/swing county which in the last 20 years has flipped to one of the most Democratic areas in the state besides Portland, Corvallis, and Eugene. Still a lot of Republicans in the rural areas and Hillsboro, though. Bernie bumper stickers vastly outnumber Hillary and especially Trump stickers, and you still see a lot of Obama ones.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2017, 03:08:20 PM »

Don't misconstrue promoting social justice with being a social justice warrior. I proudly promote social justice, but the SJW liberals who're often hypocrites and ridiculous rightfully deserve to be mocked.

This.

As for the q...

Kirkland, WA:

Tech-heavy, affluent suburb. Reliably Democratic, definitely of the Clinton variety. My neighborhood, Finn Hill, is remarkably diverse by Seattle Eastside standards (aka there are non-whites who aren't Chinese or Indians. Lots of Samoans, Hawaiians, African-Americans, and Hispanics).
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2017, 05:36:51 PM »

Champaign-Urbana, IL

Very liberal all the time with UIUC college students and a significant Black population otherwise. Since the college also attracts in staters from small towns there is a small but "significant" Republican club on campus (a mix of Cruz types, Trump types, and NORMIE REEEEEE types). The rest of the county is very conservative, as usual.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies