Describe the political views of your locality
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:20:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Describe the political views of your locality
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Describe the political views of your locality  (Read 1944 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2017, 09:45:43 PM »
« edited: August 21, 2017, 09:48:32 PM by Mr. Illini »

If you live in a "town," describe the views of your town. If you live in a "city," describe the views of your ward/neighborhood area within that city. If neither of these apply, decide what your "locality" is and describe the views of it. A similar exercise may have been done before, but let's do it here and now.

My own...

LakeView, Chicago

LakeView is a Chicago Community Area within the city that is comprised of several neighborhoods and about 100,000 people. It is about 90% white, well-educated, and pretty well-off. It has transitioned to its current state from its status as a white-working-class bastion until about the 1990s. Notable neighborhoods within LakeView include Wrigleyville (home of the Cubs) and Boystown (Chicago's historically gay/LGBT neighborhood). LakeView was 90% for Clinton last year, but was strong Rahm territory in his Mayoral re-election two years ago. Clinton edged out Sanders in the Dem primary.

Residents tend to consider themselves very liberal and progressive. It is fiercely pro-LGBTQ and proud of its historical status in that realm. Resistance to Trump is very loud and many homes/apartments have HATE HAS NO HOME HERE signs on the windows/doors (which I didn't realize was Chicago-born until recently). Many local stores have liberal commentary on the blackboards sitting outside.

However, it is also worth noting that the residents tend to be pretty resistant to radical change locally. There would be opposition to new affordable housing construction, Rahm took some of his biggest margins over progressive Chuy in this area, there's very much a "we must not become Detroit financially" approach, etc. This would lead many to accuse residents of NIMBY status.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 09:53:17 PM »

Ferndale, Michigan:

Terrible.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 09:56:40 PM »

A mix of angry white Trump Democrats to the east and suburban McMansion Republicans to the west.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 10:12:01 PM »

The Folks' Home:

The Original California University college town. Hippies are the average old person, SJWs are the average college student, which make up the bulk of the town. Curiously, there still are lots of churches and temples of all sorts underneath the secular edge.

Current Residence as of Today:

Seems to be Suburban Repubs. Very much college-educated.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 10:33:32 PM »

St. Johns County is the wealthiest county in Florida, about 40-45% have a degree, and it's entirely suburban. The beaches are lined with million-dollar homes, and the rest of the county is composed of historic St. Augustine, World Golf Village, subdivisions, strip malls, and lots of woods. If I recall correctly, it consistently votes 60-70% for Republicans, and about 75% of Whites here voted for Trump. My county also voted for Trump in the Republican primary as well, beating Rubio who took second place. Clinton won pretty easily here as well against Bernie Sanders. Even in the city just across the county line, Jacksonville, with 900,000 people, Trump won, probably because it's still a slightly majority White military city. In fact, the entire metro area of Jacksonville is almost as Republican as the Oklahoma City metro area. So, it's overall very conservative, military oriented, and Evangelical Christian around here.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 10:46:04 PM »

Salt Lake City, UT

It's pretty liberal, possibly because every liberal Utahan ends up moving here. It's more of the Sandersesque variety of liberalism. He held a rally here shortly before the primary last year. 14,000 people showed up. It was held at a fairly good-sized park. I arrived early and the line went from one end of the park to the other horizontally, then vertically, then horizontally again - and when I was near the front they said they couldn't fit more people into the designated space the rally itself was at. Fortunately, I was still able to hear and see him from the outside.

Even the few Republicans aren't fans of Trump because they're overwhelmingly Mormon. Because the rest of the state is so Mormon and Republican, there's a significant counterculture here - a state holiday called Pioneer Day is the anniversary of when the Mormon pioneers entered Salt Lake Valley, but on the same day we have a holiday called Pie-and-Beer Day (get it?).

Some demographic info:
75.1% White
10.7% Other
4.4% Asian
3.7% Mixed
2.6% Black
2% Pacific Islander
1.2% Native American
22.3% are Hispanic in addition to the above categories.

37% have at least a bachelor's degree

18.5% are foreign-born
1.1% were born in American territories (notable because Utah has the second-highest Pacific Islander population % of any state)

27% don't speak English at home

10.4% are below the poverty line

Only 34-41% are Mormon
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 12:14:02 AM »

Shepparton, Victoria.

In terms of election, every booth in Shepparton is some level of LNP ahead of Labor. But in some booths, especially the booths in the north-west (Wanganui Secondary, and Gowrie Street Primary schools), and in the south-east (Guthrie Street, St Georges road, and Wilmot road, all of which are Primary schools) are quite marginal, especially Wanganui, and Wilmot). For example, in 2013, a landslide for Abbott's party, in the electorate, the Liberals got around 70% of the vote, while in Wanganui, the vote was 57-43 LIB, with a higher Labor vote than the electorate (30.14% vs 20.74%

These types of booths also have a tendency vote have a high vote total for progressive independents. For example, in 2016, Fern Summer, a local progressive councilor, got 3.78% overall, yet in Wanganui, she got 9.09%, and 7.35% in Wilmot.

Another example of Independents is the 2014 state election, where the Independent won the seat with a 2PP vote of 52-48, while in Wanganui, she won 57-43 with a primary vote of 34.22%.

These are the only "left-leaning" areas (quotes were intentional, the last time Labor won a booth in Shepparton was 1993, which was the Wanganui booth)

I will do the rest of the city later.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 01:50:59 AM »

The city of Zell am See is more SPÖ-voting than Austria as a whole.

Slightly less ÖVP-voting. The FPÖ-share is pretty much in line with the Austrian results.

Slightly lower than average Green and NEOS shares.

In the Presidential election, it voted about 5% more for Hofer (FPÖ) than Austria as a whole.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 04:56:50 AM »

Thônex, Canton of Geneva

Mix of upper middle class suburban villas in the north and south of the commune with immigrant heavy social housing in the middle.

The middle class areas outweigh the working class ones, so it tends to give strong support to the establishment right. The populist right (UDC and MCG) also do well because we straddle the border with France and sit on the two main arterial roads into Geneva, which means dealing with the brunt of French commuter traffic every day (serious issue...).

Really though, while the town tends to vote slightly to the right of the Canton of Geneva, it is well to the left of Switzerland as a whole (normal, French Swiss).
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 10:28:10 AM »

I'll go ahead and do my parents' address in Iowa City since I have moved around so much since 2010.  They live in a neighborhood (about 1,000?) on the far southwest side of Iowa City.  It's very White and upper-middle class.  Here is an overview:

Iowa City, IA
Population: 74,398
Race: 82.5% White, 6.9% Asian, 5.8% Black, 5.3% Hispanic
Education: 64.5% College Degree, 57.9% Bachelor's or Higher, 30.7% Postgraduate Degree
Median Household Income: $41,400

Iowa City Metropolitan Area
Population: 168,828
Race: 84.0% White, 4.9% Hispanic, 4.8% Asian, 4.3% Black
Education: 55.6% College Degree, 46.3% Bachelor's or Higher, 21% Postgraduate Degree
Median Household Income: $53,600

It is a staunchly Democratic area in an almost Solid South way.  Iowa has partisan registration, and the registered Republicans in Iowa City tend to either be from the fringe areas of town, very well-off or transplants (like us).  Partisan registration in Johnson County in August 2017 is as follows:

Democratic: 48,064 (45.19%)
Independent: 35,713 (33.58%)
Republican: 21,599 (20.31%)

My precinct (which includes both my neighborhood and a slightly more diverse, largely Asian, and less affluent one on the other side of Highway 218) specifically voted like this in the 2016 elections:

Hillary Clinton (DEM): 1,219 (68.87%)
Donald Trump (GOP): 437 (24.69%)

Patty Judge (DEM): 1,026 (59.17%)
Chuck Grassley (GOP): 664 (38.29%)

Dave Loebsack (DEM): 1184 (68.72%)
Christopher Peters (GOP): 539 (31.28%)

Here was 2014:

Bruce Braley (DEM): 873 (64.71%)
Joni Ernst (GOP): 455 (33.73%)

Dave Loebsack (DEM): 905 (67.34%)
Mariannette Miller-Meeks (GOP): 439 (32.66%)

Here was 2012:

Barack Obama (DEM): 1,085 (63.27%)
Mitt Romney (GOP): 612 (35.69%)
^ Interesting tidbit: Romney and Obama literally tied in election day voting; Obama's entire margin came from absentee ballots

Dave Loebsack (DEM): 1,079 (62.92%)
John Archer (GOP): 567 (33.06%)

I suspect if you isolated it to just my neighborhood (which is probably about half the population of the precinct), it would be a lot closer, as the other two neighborhoods are likely 80%+ Democratic.  Either way, it's pretty sad that this is one the most Republican precincts in Iowa City, LOL.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 11:08:41 AM »

seb_pard
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 11:59:14 AM »

Las Condes, a commune in Santiago

Home of 250,000 people, it's one of the right-wing bastions in Santiago (along with Lo Barnechea and Vitacura). These three communes (and in a lesser degree La Reina, Providencia and Colina) are where the upper class live. Here participation rate is high and goes to the right. In 2013 Bachelet got 16.7% in the first round and 25% in the second round. The southeastern part of Las Condes is mostly middle and working class so probably that area improve a little bit the result for the center left.

People here are very right wing, very pro free market (or maybe pro their companies I think), very conservative and very supportive of the military. Most of the people are catholic (evangelicals are not popular here) and attendance rate is relatively high.

There are off course some left-supporting people, but most of them are more in a green-alternative way, which is not strong here in Chile.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 12:37:53 PM »

I basically live across a bridge from the City of Pittsburgh line, which we all know is hard core Dem voters, steel town, blah blah blah.

My suburb (sorry, BRTD) is probably one of the most conservative around.  We've elected lots of pubs.

Also, it's pretty socially conservative........believe me.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 12:52:02 PM »

Lafayette, Louisiana
Midsized, largely Republican city. Very Catholic, so religion plays a huge role in local politics. Despite having a Catholic majority, religious discussion in Lafayette has a decidedly evangelical tone to it. Louisiana Catholics are strikingly similar to Southern Baptists in attitude towards politics. Outside of the city proper is a large rural area which is also heavily religious and conservative.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 03:36:08 PM »

Ridgewood, New Jersey:

Moderate to liberal Democrats, mostly ex-Rockefeller Republicans until Gingrich killed them off. We are socially liberal, but most people here are very wealthy and fiscally conservative. Josh Gottheimer is our lord and savior. Praise him.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 03:38:13 PM »

Left-wing/progressive parties usually are slightly stronger than nationwide in Tilburg. In 2017 D66/GL/SP/PvdA got 43% in Tilburg vs only 36% nationwide. In 2012 these parties also scored 7-9 percentage points higher in Tilburg than in the rest of the nation. Not surprising for an university city, but Tilburg still isn't nearly as progressive as Nijmegen or Wageningen.

Where I was raised the CDA/KVP (Christian Democratic parties) used to be dominant (KVP regularly scored 80% in the 50s and 60s). In the early 2000s the CDA actually still scored 45-50% in elections (with VVD scoring 15-20%). Currently the VVD (main centre-right party) is dominant though. It probably is one of the few municipalities where VVD-CDA won a majority of the vote in the parliamentary elections (together they only got 34% nationwide). Apparently it's one of the most affluent municipalities in terms of net worth, which surprised me because I never really realized it. There are a lot of elderly with high net worth but average incomes though, but beating Wassenaar in terms of net worth still is a feat (Wassenaar literally is the Dutch version of Fairfax county, everyone mentions Wassenaar when you ask for wealthy towns). And in terms of income the municipality still scores quite a lot higher than average. I seriously never noticed that when I was younger.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 04:37:17 PM »

Ridgewood, New Jersey:

Moderate to liberal Democrats, mostly ex-Rockefeller Republicans until Gingrich killed them off. We are socially liberal, but most people here are very wealthy and fiscally conservative. Josh Gottheimer is our lord and savior. Praise him.

It looks like registration statistics and 2012 election results were really close in Ridgewood, according to Wikipedia.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 04:48:19 PM »

Ridgewood, New Jersey:

It looks like registration statistics and 2012 election results were really close in Ridgewood, according to Wikipedia.
Romney performed generally well in wealthy New Jersey, but Trump under-performed mostly. But yes, there are still plenty of Republicans in Ridgewood; they're just less prominent and influential these days. Bergen County as a whole was once a Republican stronghold, and now that's no longer the case.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 04:58:23 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2017, 02:37:05 AM by Parrotguy »

Ma'alot, Israel:
An absolutely horrid bunch of racists, homophobes and far right extremists.
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 07:14:10 PM »

Southern Montgomery County, MD.

The suburbs right outside of DC, so there are a few lizard people living here. Tons of people get their money from the government, working for either the FDA, NIH, or a government agency that's not health related. You also have a fair bit of academics, lawyers, and other professionals here. For this reason, this is a very liberal area, but more so socially than economically. I don't know a single social conservative (over the age of 18) that lives here, although you have a few people who are "fiscally conservative and socially liberal". This area is Titanium D, and will remain Titanium D for the next several decades.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 11:27:41 PM »

Heavily GOP because anti-redistribution, sparsely-populated suburb.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 11:34:39 PM »

Social liberals fighting an internal urge to go full liberal because they like keeping their money.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 11:47:22 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2017, 11:52:13 PM by JGibson »

Granite City, Illinois (Madison County)Sad
A predominately White working class union Dem bastion fallen under hard times. Voted for Democrats at the Presidential level up until Trump. This city featured large swings to Trump in a lot of precincts, including ones won by Obama both times (most by decent margins), and Kerry, Gore, and Bill Clinton before that. This is at least partially driven by the uncertain future of the US Steel plant, and partially by racial/cultural resentment reasons.

Further down the ballot, the city remains Democratic as ever (although reduced some). Tammy Duckworth getting a decent margin for the US Senate race, Susana Mendoza doing well (albeit not as good as Duckworth and much better than Hillary in 2016 or Quinn in 2014) for the Comptroller special, and of course the state legislative offices, countywide offices and county board seats, even while losing the county board chair and control of the board to the GOP. The State's Attorney race stayed in Democratic hands.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 01:26:07 AM »
« Edited: August 23, 2017, 01:29:22 AM by Crumpets »

Magnolia, Seattle, WA

My neighborhood, like Ukraine, operates politically and culturally on something of an East-West continuum. The west side is basically a bunch of beautiful mansions along the bluffs above Puget Sound and is massively white. The middle is more diverse and generally single-family, middle class homes. The east side is still more diverse, consists of townhouses, apartments, and is generally a mix of middle and working class.

The rich areas usually go for the Democrat in a presidential election with around 70% of the vote, while the middle is around 80% Democratic and the east side around 85% Democratic. The divides are much more stark in local elections and primaries, where the establishment Democrat usually wins about 80% in the western precincts, 50-60% in the middle, and loses the eastern precincts.  My precinct is something of a lean/tilt-socialist precinct in primary elections, narrowly going for Sanders, Sawant, and Oliver in their respective elections. The divide is also noticeable in terms of turnout, where western precincts generally have significantly higher turnout than eastern precincts.

The few Republicans we have fit one of two molds - business conservatives and Paulite libertarians. The former tend to be much happier with local Republicans than national Republicans, and you can probably find several precincts which voted 70+% for Hillary, while also going to Republicans like Kim Wyman. The latter are people who probably supported Paul, then Sanders, then were swing voters, or voted based on some pet issue like the Federal Reserve or pacifism. Basically nobody is an actual Trump supporter, even though some people reluctantly voted for him, and all precincts but one swung to the Clinton, most by double digits. So far as I know, there was only one Trump sign in my neighborhood last year, which was on a yard that formerly sported a Sanders sign, and which has since been taken down.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 10:43:12 AM »

My neighbourhood in inner-suburban Ottawa always votes Liberal. It's not very polarized; poors and middle class alike vote Liberal. The 2006 mayoral race which was left vs. right is the only time in recent memory when the area was polarized on class lines.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies