Future Realignment Possibilities?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:14:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Future Realignment Possibilities?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Future Realignment Possibilities?  (Read 8569 times)
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2017, 02:43:43 PM »

Iowa is one of the most Republican states in the country while New Mexico is one of the most Democratic states.

I'd like to hear how IL is tossup and how TX would still be tossup in this realignment.
AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2017, 04:26:33 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2017, 04:28:22 PM by AN63093 »

MT Treasurer, good maps.

Lots of similarity between your maps and both of my scenarios, though particularly my second scenario.  However, I was wondering why you think OR and NM will start trending back R.  I could see OR in a world where we de-polarize, but I'm having trouble envisioning your theory with NM.  I think Timmy has a good point with this state.. NM is a good candidate for one of the most D states in the US in 20 years.

Other than that, the only quibble I had is I think we'd have to have a de-polarization for LA/MS to flip D (black growth may be slowly outpacing white growth, but it's so gradual... 2040 is being quite optimistic I think).  Also I didn't have GA going quite so hard D and I think NC probably remains a toss up in most scenarios.

Besides that, good maps!
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2017, 07:32:05 PM »

Apologies for the blatant self-promotion, but here's a copy-paste of the 2036 map from my timeline. (Ignore the expanded EV counts.)

This is what I envision a socially liberal Republican victory would look like, with California barely but decisively going Republican. In my timeline, I have the Republican nominee be the perfect fit for Calfornia (feminist Asian woman who served as Cali governor), which actually goes to show that it would actually be quite difficult to get California to flip (you'd have to max out Asians and upscale whites while also getting a decent portion of Hispanics).

Meanwhile, I have most of the Midwest going GOP, while the South is divided based on their income and race (the former is why Georgia goes GOP; the latter is why Mississippi goes Dem). Kentucky and WV go Dem (and Tennessee nearly so) as a reaction against a "coastal elite" GOP. In the Northeast, you have "ancestral" Democrats allowing Massachusetts, Vermont, etc. go Dem, when income would predict that the GOP should sweep the region.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2017, 10:20:39 PM »

Why did IL go Dem?  Were there enough "ancestral" Chicago Democrats turning out?
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2017, 10:38:10 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2017, 10:40:36 PM by TX is Stronger than Harvey »

Why did IL go Dem?  Were there enough "ancestral" Chicago Democrats turning out?

Yeah basically, plus the Democrats will still be the "urban" party. Chicago's not going to shrink that much in population, would it?

Honestly, a more interesting question would be why Michigan goes Dem (since Detroit is smaller and declining faster than Chicago). It's Dem on this map due to circumstances specific to my timeline; in general, it's likely that it would behave more like its GOP-leaning neighbors.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2017, 11:52:14 PM »

I was the first one on the forum to bring up the country balkanizing along racial/ethnic lines. At the time, I was viciously mocked and attacked for it. Sanchez even said I was more racist than Bannon [!] Now it seems like the conventional wisdom, everyone says it.

I will maintain until the end, that the Democratic party choosing to nominate Barack Obama over Hillary Clinton in 2008 was a grave mistake. Having the face of the Democrats be a minority, especially from a group that already voted 85%+ Democratic, for eight years deepened and entrenched the ethnic polarization of the country along partisan lines.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2017, 01:41:41 AM »

I was the first one on the forum to bring up the country balkanizing along racial/ethnic lines. At the time, I was viciously mocked and attacked for it. Sanchez even said I was more racist than Bannon [!] Now it seems like the conventional wisdom, everyone says it.

I will maintain until the end, that the Democratic party choosing to nominate Barack Obama over Hillary Clinton in 2008 was a grave mistake. Having the face of the Democrats be a minority, especially from a group that already voted 85%+ Democratic, for eight years deepened and entrenched the ethnic polarization of the country along partisan lines.

I believe the GOP base hates Hillary more than Obama
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2017, 06:17:01 AM »

Why did IL go Dem?  Were there enough "ancestral" Chicago Democrats turning out?

Yeah basically, plus the Democrats will still be the "urban" party. Chicago's not going to shrink that much in population, would it?

Honestly, a more interesting question would be why Michigan goes Dem (since Detroit is smaller and declining faster than Chicago). It's Dem on this map due to circumstances specific to my timeline; in general, it's likely that it would behave more like its GOP-leaning neighbors.
I don't think Chicago will shrink *that* much either.  However, if the GOP is becoming a more secular, global-minded, and fiscally conservative party, the people living in the Cook, DuPage, Lake, etc. suburbs, should be returning home to the GOP in enough numbers to give Illinois to the GOP.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2017, 08:11:19 AM »

I don't think Chicago will shrink *that* much either.  However, if the GOP is becoming a more secular, global-minded, and fiscally conservative party, the people living in the Cook, DuPage, Lake, etc. suburbs, should be returning home to the GOP in enough numbers to give Illinois to the GOP.

The past 8 months of Trump's presidency have shattered any façade that Trumpism  actually is a socially moderate, global-minded fiscal conservative.
"Trumpism" will be gone once Trump is.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2017, 08:30:30 AM »

The past 8 months of Trump's presidency have shattered any façade that Trumpism  actually is a socially moderate, global-minded fiscal conservative.

that the GOP will become this global-minded fiscally conservative party strikes me as bizarre. Nothing about them really even suggests they're that fiscally conservative aside from railing against spending when a Democrat is in office and then proceeding to do sh!t about it once they can. And I don't see why they'd become increasingly secular when the religious nuts still have huge sway in the party's nominations. They're only going to get more reactionary and desperate to maintain their grip on the party as the country shifts away from them
k
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2017, 08:38:54 AM »

that the GOP will become this global-minded fiscally conservative party strikes me as bizarre. Nothing about them really even suggests they're that fiscally conservative aside from railing against spending when a Democrat is in office and then proceeding to do sh!t about it once they can. And I don't see why they'd become increasingly secular when the religious nuts still have huge sway in the party's nominations. They're only going to get more reactionary and desperate to maintain their grip on the party as the country shifts away from them
k

I know you like to ignore it, but that's literally all the GOP does when it comes to "fiscal conservatism." Typically it's 1.) cut taxes like we're still in the good ole 1980's, 2.) see a budget shortfall, 3.) blame said shortfall on inner city welfare queens, blacks and Mexicans not paying their taxes, and Democrats' spending problems (which, sure, can get excessive)
No you're right on the fiscal conservatism thing; the party has failed (but to say the party scapegoats minorities is just ridiculous). Everything else is pretty much wrong.  The party will reform or it will die.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2017, 07:03:58 PM »

Florida should be gray as it will replace Ohio as the "Missouri bellwether" state by then.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2017, 07:18:24 PM »

Florida should be gray as it will replace Ohio as the "Missouri bellwether" state by then.

I suspect climate change will ultimately cause it to turn lean Dem. I think Texas and Illinois will be the bellwether states by this time.

The GOP will more likely than not have turned around on climate change by then.  It's not going to matter that many didn't believe it in the past.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2017, 07:34:09 PM »

I suspect climate change will ultimately cause it to turn lean Dem. I think Texas and Illinois will be the bellwether states by this time.

The GOP will more likely than not have turned around on climate change by then.  It's not going to matter that many didn't believe it in the past.

By then yeah. I think there'll then enough of the youth today in Florida voting in the 2030's-2040 to keep it slightly Democratic. It's a state that has a fairly low income (even when adjusted for COLA) and is minority heavy. I do think counter trends of retiring Xers will keep it competitive for the GOP (which is also why I have Arizona being only lean Dem as well).

Plus I suspect the Electoral Map will be lean D anyways.
It really all comes down to how the GOP shifts. Much better minority outreach will help nationwide, and if Gen Zers end up being libertarian-leaning and Republican-leading, then the party will still remain competitive.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2017, 10:31:31 PM »

My post was in response to NJ's characterization of IL in the 2030s on his/her "Sun and Moon" political fanfic.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2017, 11:08:04 PM »

I think Clark County will eventually run out of water, and the resulting death of Las Vegas will move Nevada back to Solid R and minimum electoral votes.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2017, 08:39:47 AM »

My post was in response to NJ's characterization of IL in the 2030s on his/her "Sun and Moon" political fanfic.

Yeah, since the GOP becoming more socially liberal and way less Trumpist is a big part of that timeline. If the GOP doesn't do that (which has a nonzero chance of happening), and instead remains a reactionary socon party, then expect Illinois to be Safe D (rather than Lean D or Tossup).
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2017, 04:34:13 PM »

By then yeah. I think there'll then enough of the youth today in Florida voting in the 2030's-2040 to keep it slightly Democratic. It's a state that has a fairly low income (even when adjusted for COLA) and is minority heavy. I do think counter trends of retiring Xers will keep it competitive for the GOP (which is also why I have Arizona being only lean Dem as well).

It really all comes down to how the GOP shifts. Much better minority outreach will help nationwide, and if Gen Zers end up being libertarian-leaning and Republican-leading, then the party will still remain competitive.

Looking at demographic data, a winning GOP coalition in 2036-2040 would probably look something like this:

Whites: 63-67%
Asians: 50-54%
Hispanics: 42-46%
Blacks: 14-18%
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2017, 06:03:26 PM »

Looking at demographic data, a winning GOP coalition in 2036-2040 would probably look something like this:

Whites: 63-67%
Asians: 50-54%
Hispanics: 42-46%
Blacks: 14-18%
Thanks for the numbers Smiley

It's certainly possible, it just depends on whether the party wants to put in the effort or not
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2017, 04:54:46 PM »

We are a clash of Mississippian minorities
Arkansas is 72.9% white, well above the national average, and is therefore considered to be one of the whitest Southern states.

You mean how Arkansas has consistently ranked in the bottom 10 states in terms of GDP per capita for the past decade?

Deep South/Western/Midwestern/Northern culture.
I don't understand your implication here.

I'm not going to try to pretend to know more about your state than you do, but based off of statistical evidence, it seems that you have to try again at your argument.

Also, it's quite hilarious to see you refer to the affection for populism as a vulnerability.

... If you really can't understand relativity of GDP and income, then I don't know what you expect me to say. We have the lowest unemployment rate for fifty years - the amount of time it's been tracked.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2017, 08:03:56 AM »

This map is mainly based off of information from the following:

https://public.tableau.com/profile/mycollegeoptions#!/vizhome/PresidentialPolling-Fall2016/PresidentialPolling2016

https://www.surveymonkey.com/elections/map/2016/us?poll=sm-exit-millennials-cps

The first site features a 50-state poll of over 80,000 14-18-year-olds.  The second site features how voters aged 18-34 voted in 2016.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2017, 01:19:12 PM »

https://public.tableau.com/profile/mycollegeoptions#!/vizhome/PresidentialPolling-Fall2016/PresidentialPolling2016

The first site features a 50-state poll of over 80,000 14-18-year-olds.  The second site features how voters aged 18-34 voted in 2016.

That second map is one Survey Monkey poll.  Trump won the 18-29 vote in 21 states, not 4!
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2017, 01:31:05 PM »

That second map is one Survey Monkey poll.  Trump won the 18-29 vote in 21 states, not 4!

Ah ok. Thanks. Where did you get that info?
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2017, 01:47:23 PM »

Exit polls (now, we don't have all of the Safe R/D states, but we can be reasonably confident in those, especially if similar less R/D states voted as expected.

https://i1.wp.com/amptoons.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/18-29-vote-exit-polls-2016.png

Here is just 18-24: https://i2.wp.com/amptoons.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/18-24-vote-exit-polls-2016.png (Note Minnesota!)
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2017, 01:55:57 PM »

Exit polls (now, we don't have all of the Safe R/D states, but we can be reasonably confident in those, especially if similar less R/D states voted as expected.

https://i1.wp.com/amptoons.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/18-29-vote-exit-polls-2016.png

Here is just 18-24: https://i2.wp.com/amptoons.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/18-24-vote-exit-polls-2016.png (Note Minnesota!)

Thank you! I'll probably readjust the map then
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies