Do you support the racial policies of Orania?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:58:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you support the racial policies of Orania?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you?
Yes, white South Africans have the right to their own community

No, legalized racial restrictions are immoral

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Do you support the racial policies of Orania?  (Read 1883 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 22, 2017, 03:04:08 PM »

Given the latest controversy over white nationalism, I thought I would do a poll on the only place that could officially be described as such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orania,_Northern_Cape
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 04:03:28 PM »

Well, that was basically the original, ill-fated, concept of apartheid - dividing South Africa into separate nation-states for the various ethnic groups in South Africa such as the Afrikaners, Xhosa, Zulu, etc. to have their own countries. In a minority-rule society, the idea was an improvement from the status quo for most of the population, but of course in practice, the transfer of land and political power necessary for sovereignty to be restored to indigenous black Africans never happened.

Anyway, this place is more of a cult than a real town. One has to be concerned about children who grow up in such a place.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 04:06:36 PM »

Well, that was basically the original, ill-fated, concept of apartheid - dividing South Africa into separate nation-states for the various ethnic groups in South Africa such as the Afrikaners, Xhosa, Zulu, etc. to have their own countries. In a minority-rule society, the idea was an improvement from the status quo for most of the population, but of course in practice, the transfer of land and political power necessary for sovereignty to be restored to indigenous black Africans never happened.

Anyway, this place is more of a cult than a real town. One has to be concerned about children who grow up in such a place.

How was stripping Africans of their South African citizenships and forcing them into bleak, infertile "Bantustans" and improvement for most South Africans?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 04:12:39 PM »

How was stripping Africans of their South African citizenships and forcing them into bleak, infertile "Bantustans" and improvement for most South Africans?

The Bantustan policy was what I was talking about when I said that the necessary transfer of land never happened. Afrikaners were only supposed to keep a minority share of the land in South Africa, but they ended up keeping something like 85% of the land. In retrospect, the idea itself was impractical and foolish.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 04:42:27 PM »

The Bantustan policy was what I was talking about when I said that the necessary transfer of land never happened. Afrikaners were only supposed to keep a minority share of the land in South Africa, but they ended up keeping something like 85% of the land. In retrospect, the idea itself was impractical and foolish.

The transfer of land was never going to happen because the NP was avowedly white supremicist.

Even then, the concept of stripping people of their nationality without their consent and forcing them to live in certain areas, whether endowed with sufficient political autonomy and viable geography or not, is pretty horrific.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 04:53:03 PM »

Even then, the concept of stripping people of their nationality without their consent and forcing them to live in certain areas, whether endowed with sufficient political autonomy and viable geography or not, is pretty horrific.
If a country breaks up into several sovereign states, nobody is being stripped of citizenship.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 03:41:37 PM »

Given the latest controversy over white nationalism, I thought I would do a poll on the only place that could officially be described as such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orania,_Northern_Cape

you mean Afrikaner nationalism?

I don't necessarily have a problem with people of a certain ethnic or other minority in a country seeking to remove themselves to their own community, though it would depend on what they do to keep people out.  I will have to look more into this.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 07:02:20 AM »

If a country breaks up into several sovereign states, nobody is being stripped of citizenship.

You're nearly getting there: nationalism of all sorts, and the break up of unions and sovereign states for "muh nationality" is nearly always a very bad idea that leads to much worse successor regimes: Yugoslavia, India, Sudan, the bantustans, the break up of the Soviet Union (baltics aside), Brexit, Scottish/Catalan/Flemish independence, black and white separatism etc.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 08:40:57 AM »

The wiki page and some light Googling makes me think that it's full of slightly racist hippies....wait, is that redundant?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 09:23:10 AM »

ok, so this is a weird one.  I was a little bored and needed to waste time for a bit so I was playing GeoGuesser (guess where you are in the world via Google Street View game) and I'm playing alone in the fashion where you can't move and can't use Google, just freaking guess.  I was actually not doing too bad.  Is this Mexico? no...Columbia...not bad.  That looks like a fjord and sh**t looks European, must be Norway, it was! (totally wrong end though)....and then in a boringish looking place, wait, there is a sign, let me zoom in.

And it says "Orania 5km ->"
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 02:44:28 PM »

You're nearly getting there: nationalism of all sorts, and the break up of unions and sovereign states for "muh nationality" is nearly always a very bad idea that leads to much worse successor regimes: Yugoslavia, India, Sudan, the bantustans, the break up of the Soviet Union (baltics aside), Brexit, Scottish/Catalan/Flemish independence, black and white separatism etc.

There was some Flemish dictatorship or something recently?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 05:15:41 AM »
« Edited: September 23, 2017, 12:44:46 PM by DavidB. »

Calling Orania "white nationalist" is terribly Muricacentristic, and I support Afrikaners' right to raise their children in their own language with their own culture.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 12:32:30 PM »

I support Afrikaners' right to raise their children in their own language with their own culture.

This. I don't see how they're hurting anyone by having a little town to themselves.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2020, 12:30:09 PM »

I support Afrikaners' right to raise their children in their own language with their own culture.

This. I don't see how they're hurting anyone by having a little town to themselves.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies