Should teaching science in schools be banned in favor of religion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:38:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should teaching science in schools be banned in favor of religion?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: Should teaching science in schools be banned in favor of religion?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Should teaching science in schools be banned in favor of religion?  (Read 6531 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2005, 12:01:29 PM »

As long as one does not teach it as fact, I don't oppose teaching about religion in schools.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2005, 12:24:22 PM »

Primarily, Christianity - since its the majority faith but there should be some basic (i.e. superficial) teaching of all major world faiths (Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism). Knowledge is a wonderful thing Smiley since much of the blame for the wrongs of our age can be levelled at ignorance

Dave

Well, actually so you know Christianity isn't the majority religion - plurality yes, but majority no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_world_religions

I think how we weigh the teaching of a religion shouldn't be based on how many people currently practice it, rather we should weight it based on historical significance. Christianity is no doubt in the top three, of course, but I'm saying that we should not base our criterion on the number of people practicing it today.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2005, 12:50:06 PM »

I think how we weigh the teaching of a religion shouldn't be based on how many people currently practice it, rather we should weight it based on historical significance. Christianity is no doubt in the top three, of course, but I'm saying that we should not base our criterion on the number of people practicing it today.
Certainly.

I think that a class on religion should teach about (at the very least) Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and agnosticism/atheism, for an understanding of all of these is, in my opinion, essential to cultural literacy. Greek and Roman mythology should also be covered somewhere in school, but as the religion is dead, it need not be taught in this particular class.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2005, 01:01:00 PM »

Certainly.

I think that a class on religion should teach about (at the very least) Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and agnosticism/atheism, for an understanding of all of these is, in my opinion, essential to cultural literacy. Greek and Roman mythology should also be covered somewhere in school, but as the religion is dead, it need not be taught in this particular class.

Greek, Roman, Egyptian, and Ancient Central American religions are all taught in History and English classes, and in many schools, they are covered in more detail than modern living religions/cultures.  I always found it interesting that the celtic religions were often ignored in public schools though.  I think those should also be covered, along with Native American.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2005, 01:12:16 PM »

Greek, Roman, Egyptian, and Ancient Central American religions are all taught in History and English classes, and in many schools, they are covered in more detail than modern living religions/cultures.  I always found it interesting that the celtic religions were often ignored in public schools though.  I think those should also be covered, along with Native American.
I would say that the Celtic, Native American, and other tribal religions are not of as great historical significance as (say) the Roman and Egyptian ones, because the latter had more important civilizations associated with them. I regard teaching the five major religions before mentioned, as well as the Greek, Roman, and Egyptian religions, as more important.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2005, 07:27:58 AM »

Primarily, Christianity - since its the majority faith but there should be some basic (i.e. superficial) teaching of all major world faiths (Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism). Knowledge is a wonderful thing Smiley since much of the blame for the wrongs of our age can be levelled at ignorance

Dave

Well, actually so you know Christianity isn't the majority religion - plurality yes, but majority no.

Ture, but it's the majority religion in the United States. Subsequently, Christian values are more important, to most Americans, than those of other faiths, which is why there ought to be precedence to the teaching of it. The teaching of other faiths serves primarly to highten awareness and diminish ignorance

Dave
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2005, 10:55:12 AM »
« Edited: September 01, 2005, 10:59:31 AM by Tredrick »

Not in Kansas Anymore

Should get a laugh or two.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length