Should teaching science in schools be banned in favor of religion? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:35:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should teaching science in schools be banned in favor of religion? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should teaching science in schools be banned in favor of religion?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Should teaching science in schools be banned in favor of religion?  (Read 6570 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« on: August 19, 2005, 02:20:11 PM »

It isn't trollish. Its actually happening in Kansas.

No, actually, it's not.  Quit Trolling.

BTW - I voted no.  Science should be taught as well as religion (in it's proper context).
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 03:15:20 PM »

No. Teach science and teach about religion and religions. Teach about everything ideally. No limits.

Yes.  After all, you go to school to learn.  Don't censor the material for the students.  Surprisingly enough, they do understand and comprehend more than what people give them credit for.

Ideally, yes, but I would worry about a secular institution delving too deeply into religion, and also there really are separation of church and state issues, IMO. One that I know of right now is what's to stop a Muslim from getting in and preaching the Koran. I don't think that sort of thing should be going on - talking about how a creator may have created the Earth and the universe is to me completely unobjectionable and could be easily objective, especially considering how evolution through natural selection is anything but provable. Purely theory.

This is the only problem I have with that argument.  Schools (even as far back as when I was in it) taught world religions.  No one says that the teach has to hold Sunday school lessons in class, but at least cover Christianity and Intelligent Design in the same light as the other major religions in the world.  (And teach it in History class, not science.)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 01:01:00 PM »

I think how we weigh the teaching of a religion shouldn't be based on how many people currently practice it, rather we should weight it based on historical significance. Christianity is no doubt in the top three, of course, but I'm saying that we should not base our criterion on the number of people practicing it today.
Certainly.

I think that a class on religion should teach about (at the very least) Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and agnosticism/atheism, for an understanding of all of these is, in my opinion, essential to cultural literacy. Greek and Roman mythology should also be covered somewhere in school, but as the religion is dead, it need not be taught in this particular class.

Greek, Roman, Egyptian, and Ancient Central American religions are all taught in History and English classes, and in many schools, they are covered in more detail than modern living religions/cultures.  I always found it interesting that the celtic religions were often ignored in public schools though.  I think those should also be covered, along with Native American.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies